Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Goldman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Paint Scratch Question

So I was washing my car, had my windshield blades up.... Decided to open the hood to wipe down some dust . The blades scratched the edge of the hood pretty good.

My question being, do I need to use Primer on it? (I don’t see the metal yet, but the color on the paint is now white).

Also, what's the order of paint I should apply on it? (Basecoat, Clearcoat, Primer)

I am getting the paint pen from paintscratch.com

Thanks!
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldman View Post
So I was washing my car, had my windshield blades up.... Decided to open the hood to wipe down some dust . The blades scratched the edge of the hood pretty good.

My question being, do I need to use Primer on it? (I don’t see the metal yet, but the color on the paint is now white).

Also, what's the order of paint I should apply on it? (Basecoat, Clearcoat, Primer)

I am getting the paint pen from paintscratch.com

Thanks!
Without seeing, it's hard to tell, but I'd at least do paint, followed with clearcoat. Unless you were down to the metal, a primer isn't really necessary.

After you allow it to thoroughly dry, get a coat of wax/polish atop the spot.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
...actually i did this with my previous car once...forgot to put the wipers down...lost train of thought...lifted hood...SCRAPE...needless to say i learned my lesson and i hope you did too lol
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Goldman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yea, I definite learned my lesson. So if I do apply primer, does it goes last? After basecoat and clearcoat?

Thanks.
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
Primer is first followed by basecoat, then clear coat.

I would say ditch the primer though and go strait to the basecoat.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
If you are not down to bare metal just base it then clear. Are you doing this with an artists brush or??? Always use a brush that is smaller than the width of the scratch. Do not try to gob it on in one coat. I always use un thinned base (non reduced) followed by clear that has the hardener added when touching up a customers car. For those of you who do not have access to those materials just use the dealer T/U paint but if the scratch width is smaller than the included brush go to a crafts store and get the right sized brush.

Last edited by BICHN CAMARO; 04-30-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: needed to add info
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote