Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
How To: Rinseless Wash Your Ride

How To: Wash Your Vehicle Using a Rinseless Wash.

Phase 1 of the Autopia-CarCare 5-step Paint Care Cycle: The Car Wash.

The first step in creating and maintaining your car's paint is to wash and dry it with precise technique. All paint systems, but particularly modern clear coat paint systems, are scratch sensitive. This means anytime dirt or grit is rubbed against the paint, even softly, it creates microscopic scratches. With enough accumulation these scratches form visible swirl marks that act to diffuse the reflected light and the paint appears dull. Larger more visible scratches form swirl marks, which are visible micro scratches that ruin the appearance of the paint in bright light. Properly washing your car greatly reduces the chances of creating micro-scratches, keeps your paint free of acidic fall-out, and removes any dirt that blankets an otherwise perfect shine. Properly washing your car using high quality materials with good technique will not only help prevent or eliminate micro-scratches, but will not strip (or may even reinforce) your existing wax coating.

There are three main types of washing methods: Traditional Washing, Rinseless Washing, and Waterless Washing. Each type has advantages and draw backs. This article will focus on using the Rinseless Washing type to clean your vehicle.

-Rinseless Washing-As the name implies, Rinseless washing uses a technique that encapsulates and removes dirt and grime with out using a high-volume of rinse water. xRinseless washing has gained popularity in recent years. Rinseless washing is ideal in areas where water is restricted or times when speed and efficiency are critical. Popular Rinseless wash solutions include Detailer's Pro Rinseless Wash and Glossxand Optimum Polymer Technology'sxNo-Rinse and Shine. As a benefit, each of these wash solutions utilize synthetic polymer technology that not only cleans the paint but adds a layer of protection and shine to the finish, making them ideal for maintenance washing as well.x

Products Needed:
  • A large (5 gallon) wash bucket.
  • Wash media- A plush microfiber cloth, foam wash sponge, natural sponge, or wash mitt.
  • Rinseless wash solution- Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss or Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine.
  • Several Microfiber Drying towels.

Additional Products Recommended:
  • A second, large (5 gallon) rinse bucket.
  • Grit-Guards
  • Additional cleaning chemicals- A pre-rinse solution, wheel cleaner, and bug and tar remover.

Products Being Used:

Getting Started

First, start by dropping a Grit-Guard into the bottom of each Blackfire Wash Bucket.

Fill each 5 gallons of water with approximately 4 gallons of water. Add the appropriate amount of rinseless wash solution to one bucket. Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss recommends a dilution of 1 oz per 2 gallons of water. I used a Pro Dispenser. If you don't have one you can use the bottle cap. Each cap-full is ¼ of an ounce. Add 8 cap-fulls to a four gallons of water.

Place your wash media into the wash solution and allow to soak for 5 minutes prior to washing.

Rinseless Wash Process:

(optional) Pre-treating your vehicle prior to getting started is an optional process. Detailers discovered that by misting the surface of the paint prior to washing, with a rinseless or waterless solution they break the tension holding the grime to the car and reduce the chance of micro-scratching the paint. Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss can be diluted and used in a spray bottle. Additionally, Detailer's Pro Series Waterless Auto Wash makes an excellent pre-treatment. Only a light mist is necessary. Allow to dwell.

Treat any areas of stubborn bug remains or tar with Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner and allow to dwell for three-to-five minutes.

Wash and dry your vehicle a section at time. Begin with the cleaner surfaces such as the roof, hood, and upper side panels. Wash by moving your wash media, in this case a Cobra Gold Plush Microfiber Towel, across the paint gently making sure to use plenty of solution. Wring an ample amount of solution over the section to wash and move in gentle straight lines. Some of the dirt and grime will become trapped in the solution and run off the paint, some of it will attach safely to the microfiber.

After washing the section, rinse your wash media out thoroughly in your secondary (rinse) bucket and wring until damp.

Wipe using your damp microfiber cloth to remove most of the solution safely. This will leave behind a damp surface that requires light only light toweling with a drying towel to finish.

An ultra soft Cobra Guzzle will remove any remaining dampness and leave the surface feeling slick and looking glossy.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Repeat this process for the entire exterior of the car or vehicle until it is clean and glossy.

Pre-treating the soiled areas.

Squeeze ample amount of Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss over the panel to washed.

Wash gently in a straight lines, allow the solution to flow down the paint.

Rinse your wash media out in the rinse bucket then load with more solution. Wring it out until damp.

Wipe up any standing water, leaving the surface barely damp.

Towel completely dry using a waffle weave drying towel.

Repeat the washing and drying process for the door jambs (if desired).

Wheels and Wheel Wells

Spray a liberal amount of Detailer's Pro Series Tire Cleaner on to the wheel.

Wash using Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss and a general duty microfiber towel.

To clean the barrels of the wheels (the area behind the spokes) wrap your wash towel around a Wheel Woolie.

Dry using a second, general duty microfiber towel.

Pre-treat the wheel wells with Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All. The wash using a general duty microfiber towel and Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss. Wrap the cloth around a Wheel Woolie to access difficult to reach areas. Wipe dry with a second general duty microfiber towel. Because Detailer's Pro Series Rinseless Wash & Gloss features a high tech polymer that infuses itself on plastic it will leave behind a dark, clean sheen.

Clean the most soiled parts of the vehicle last, as by now, the wash solution is heavily soiled and should not be used on paint.

The last step in this case is the exhaust tips, which are soiled with carbon.

A light mist of Detailer's Pro Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner will break up carbon and make cleaning easy.

Then follow by washing with Detailer's Pro Rinseless Wash & Gloss and general duty microfiber towel.
Dry with a second, dry general duty microfiber towel to reveal a clean exhaust tip.

Final Thoughts:

Rinseless washing has become extremely popular to the ability to save time and reduce water usage. Quality products, like Optimum No-Rinse and Shine and Detailer's Pro Series Rinsless Wash & Gloss offer a safe way to quickly wash a moderately soiled vehicle. As a benefit, each product infuses the surface with synethic polymers that boost the shine of the paint and increase the protection.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Thank you for the great information on the Rinseless Washing one's ride.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Thank you for the great information on the Rinseless Washing one's ride.
No problem Angelo!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Ummmm, you didn't have a real car you could demonstrate on

Maybe a Camaro.

Just funnin you a little. It's just showing a non-Camaro in a Camaro forum isn't bad enough, but not even a GM product........just sayin'
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post

Maybe a Camaro.

Just funnin you a little. It's just showing a non-Camaro in a Camaro forum isn't bad enough, but not even a GM product........just sayin'
The products will work equally as great on all cars. I mean if it can make a Mazda look half way decent, then imagine how great a Camaro would look.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post

Maybe a Camaro.

Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Good info! Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
Good info! Thanks
My pleasure, your welcome!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #10

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Nice article.

I would wash the wheels and exhaust tips first. That way, I won't spray any wheel/exhaust cleaner onto the fresh paint. And I won't have the chance to get any dirt or grime from the wheels/exhaust onto the fresh paint as well.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
Nice article.

I would wash the wheels and exhaust tips first. That way, I won't spray any wheel/exhaust cleaner onto the fresh paint. And I won't have the chance to get any dirt or grime from the wheels/exhaust onto the fresh paint as well.
When you are doing a Rinseless Wash you are usually using 1 bucket of water/solution. You risk contaminating the wash solution with brake dust residue (IE metal shavings) if you do the wheels first.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
When you are doing a Rinseless Wash you are usually using 1 bucket of water/solution. You risk contaminating the wash solution with brake dust residue (IE metal shavings) if you do the wheels first.
Rinseless or water I always use 4 buckets - 2 for wheels/exhaust and 2 for the paint. Then you won't run into that problem.

Right now, you risk contaminating the paint with brake dust residue (IE metal shavings) if you wash wheels/exhaust second.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
Rinseless or water I always use 4 buckets - 2 for wheels/exhaust and 2 for the paint. Then you won't run into that problem.

Right now, you risk contaminating the paint with brake dust residue (IE metal shavings) if you wash wheels/exhaust second.
To each their own! One of the beauties of detailing is that is highly personal and we all do what we feel gets best results.
For example, when I do a rinseless wash, I do the wheels and tires last to save product and avoid contaminating my wash water. I never get any spray on the paint from using a rinseless wash nor have the 100s I have taught to do the same thing. However we are all different and tweaking ideas and thoughts to arrive at the best results is part of the fun of going in the garage and doing it! Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
To each their own! One of the beauties of detailing is that is highly personal and we all do what we feel gets best results.
For example, when I do a rinseless wash, I do the wheels and tires last to save product and avoid contaminating my wash water. I never get any spray on the paint from using a rinseless wash nor have the 100s I have taught to do the same thing. However we are all different and tweaking ideas and thoughts to arrive at the best results is part of the fun of going in the garage and doing it! Thanks for your suggestions!
True that!

Keep up the great posts!!