Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I have never waxed this car..and I am scared to death to ruin it!

So title says it all. I bought the car in March, it's garaged and is a 'weekend driver'. I always wash it myself and the paint seems pretty perfect to me, no swirl marks or haze.. it's shiny and I'm happy with the finish. It's got about 10k miles now and I think it's time to put a coat of wax on it.

I have read many of the threads on this page here, and am a bit confused. If the surface seems clean and smooth, is there a need to clay it? I'm honestly afraid to do that myself, is there a risk of putting scratches where there is none now?

Can I get away with just a decent quality paste wax? I don't have hours or lots of money to spend, although I also want to maintain the car in a near perfect condition...without going too far over the edge (I can see myself ordering $100's of product, and still not knowing if I should use any of it?)

Any advise? I'm not lazy..or a cheapskate..but I also want to use my time and money wisely .. I don't want to try to correct a problem that isn't there, or create one (bigger fear)...

thanks!

Chris.
sanjosebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
I would suggest you go to the Adam's Polishes website http://www.adamspolishes.com/default.aspx and watch the videos. You can go as far as you want to go but you'll never get better support or service from anyone else.

I have found all the products extreamly easy to use and I am by no means an expert.

BTW: Yes - you need to clay. No - it's not hard. You will not hurt your paint.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Before doing anything to your car just make sure to do the baggy test. Grab one of those clear plastic bags, and place your hand in it and feel around the car especially the lower sections. If it feels a bit bumpy to the touch in some spots then definitely do not wax!

Wait until the more seasoned veterans post here, but if it were me I would wash, clay bar/towel car, wash again and then wax/sealant. If you say there are no swirl marks, and are happy with what your car looks like, then you could get away without polishing.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You should be scared not to detail it.....I realize I'm in Adam's country, but I am a BLACKFIRE fanatic as this stuff is the easiest product line I've ever used and used to be a Zaino and meguire's zealot. I frankly don't have the time or patience for 4 and 5 step procedures....I've done it, but the payoff is not that great for me. I'd rather do easy, more often.

For a new car it's as easy as this:
1. wax on and off Blackfire Total Polish and Seal - clay it first, but the world will not end if you don't.
2. wipe on and walk away Blackfire Crystal seal - takes all of 15 min - do it twice - no buffing, it "self buffs"

you are done...all for about $50. It is a way to keep cars in great shape, for non detailing people.

products here:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...lish-seal.html
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/black...stal-seal.html

Last edited by Glen e; 05-29-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Adamspolishes that's all I use I was also scared to do my car cause its black but it comes out perfect just follow the steps they have vids for all of them
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
or you could get it Opticoated and not worry about waxing for 2 more years.
and keep that car show shine without worry at all.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
sanjosebmx

thank you I watched the Adams "Clay Bar" how to video and am breathing a bit easier.. OK that's step one.. I agree and I can do that.

Then polish is something that is optional? Can we just wax with a good paste wax now, or will polishing really make the car shine more. I don't want those swirl marks, is that more likely when polishing, or waxing?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Take some time to watch our videos, OP!

Adam's Instructional Detailing Videos

We make them to take the guess work and "mystery" out of detailing your ride. If all you've ever done is wash the car, it almost certainly needs clayed. Even brand new cars need it.

Once you're done there, you can skip over polishing if you are happy with the condition of your paint. Move on to sealing/glazing/waxing to add some shine and protection to your paint.

Grab a few of your favorite frosty beverages, check out the videos, then pop back in here with any questions you may have. We are here to help!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosebmx View Post
thank you I watched the Adams "Clay Bar" how to video and am breathing a bit easier.. OK that's step one.. I agree and I can do that.

Then polish is something that is optional? Can we just wax with a good paste wax now, or will polishing really make the car shine more. I don't want those swirl marks, is that more likely when polishing, or waxing?
Polishing is optional. It levels clear to restore optical clarity and remove visible swirl marks.

If you don't have swirls, skip polishing.

You will not create swirls from polishing or waxing with proper technique. Most of your swirls will come from washing and drying. They will occur, they're not preventable. The idea is to minimize them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
sanjosebmx

great info!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There are TONS of video's on youtube that explain and show everything you wanted to know about detailing. Just look for a reputable company or person. Adams has great vids as do most detailing sites. Autogeek, Autopia, Detailers Domain, and Chemical guys are also great places to find what you might need. For claying, any Walmart or auto parts store is going to have a clay kit. Meguiars and Mothers are the ones I see the most. Either is fine and they come with detail spray/clay lubricant in the kit. Keep in mind that a single claybar will do your car a couple of times, depending on how dirty it is when you clay. Most recommendations in here will involve you ordering stuff online. They will be good recommendations but this can get expensive. You can get decent OTC products from Meguiars (ultimate), Mothers, and Turtle (black Ice) but there are much better options if plan to keep your car looking it's best. For the everyday guy that's not that concerned with keeping their car looking great, the products mentioned above will do just fine. If you want to get into the higher end products, CamaroDreams has a pretty nice list of his favs.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
There are TONS of video's on youtube that explain and show everything you wanted to know about detailing. Just look for a reputable company or person. Adams has great vids as do most detailing sites. Autogeek, Autopia, Detailers Domain, and Chemical guys are also great places to find what you might need. For claying, any Walmart or auto parts store is going to have a clay kit. Meguiars and Mothers are the ones I see the most. Either is fine and they come with detail spray/clay lubricant in the kit. Keep in mind that a single claybar will do your car a couple of times, depending on how dirty it is when you clay. Most recommendations in here will involve you ordering stuff online. They will be good recommendations but this can get expensive. You can get decent OTC products from Meguiars (ultimate), Mothers, and Turtle (black Ice) but there are much better options if plan to keep your car looking it's best. For the everyday guy that's not that concerned with keeping their car looking great, the products mentioned above will do just fine. If you want to get into the higher end products, CamaroDreams has a pretty nice list of his favs.

well said - what ever product you choose, there is something for years when I was "just waxing" that I did not understand until I was schooled by a good detailer. I learned to get the surface as glossy and final as you want it before the wax/sealant, the wax is just the protectant. I never really looked at it that way, I thought the wax was the thing that made it glossy. No, it's in the prep. Clay and polish is the key to a good long lasting detailing job, and that's pretty easy with a new car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
sanjosebmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post

Information overload is what I get when I google or youtube stuff.. I trust the people on this forum so I am very grateful that you guys are taking the time to help me out!!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Go to adamspolishes.com but the car kit, and get buttery wax. Wash it first and then pup it into your garage or covered area and take your time, you will be fine!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote