Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
Never used it before this car but after you learn to use it, it works great. You just have to wait for it! Save your clutch for later.

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I don't have an issue with the Hill Start Assist per se - other than the fact it shouldn't even be required.

I'm from England, and over there performing a correct Hill Start maneuver using the handbrake (Parking Brake) is part of the driving test - so when you have grown up with that and now are forced to use HSA it's just annoying/different - if I could disable that function I would.

In other words, if you can drive a Manual properly HSA is just something unnessary that you have to work around and has only been put there to accommodate people who can't drive a manual properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post

Give this a try...cruise up to your next stop on a slope and hold the car there using only the clutch pedal. The sweet spot is right in the friction zone where the clutch disengages and engages, hold the clutch right threre using no brake.

It's called Slipping the Clutch and drivers use it to move forward very slowly without giving it gas or to hold their car up on a hill at a dead stop. I don't think the HA kicks in if you're not using the brake.

There is one drawback to doing this however, traffic coming up behind you won't think you stopped because your brake lights are not on so keep a sharp eye on your 6.

Try it though see if it works.
That is exactly how NOT to perform a Hill start - you would fail your driving test in England if you tried that - and yes I know we're not in England, but I'm just making a point that it is bad advice.

Will it work - Yes.

Will it destroy your clutch over time - Absolutely.

Last edited by Modern07; 10-08-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Fast92RS

Drives: 2013 Zl1
when I first got my zl1. I hated the hsa , but since Ive had it has not been a problem. I did buy the sensor to disable it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As well as the skip shift. Its only happened once for me so I may not even put that harness in.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
it actually hurts more then it helps. I hate it. but I will install the automatic yaw control module under console to solve it. it will do away with ha. if you cant drive stick without rolling back you should buy an automatic.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
That is exactly how NOT to perform a Hill start - you would fail your driving test in England if you tried that - and yes I know we're not in England, but I'm just making a point that it is bad advice.

Will it work - Yes.

Will it destroy your clutch over time - Absolutely.
Not telling the guy how to do a hill start, I think people who are struggling with the HA are not finding the friction zone. A good way to do that is to find an incline and try to keep your car still with just the clutch. Once they're real familiar with where the clutch engages and disengages a hill start will be easy and they won't notice the HA at all.

It's a quick and easy way to build muscle memory.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
cvbfireman

Drives: M6
I just noticed this yesterday, def would prefer without it... Now that I'm noticing it I feel like I'm starting out shitty on hills
cvbfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Hill assist is a last effort to keep the manual transmission alive. One of the worst features to me in a manual transmission vehicle is its proneness to roll backwards in neutral. That would be particularly welcome feature to someone who has never driven a stick.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Not telling the guy how to do a hill start, I think people who are struggling with the HA are not finding the friction zone. A good way to do that is to find an incline and try to keep your car still with just the clutch. Once they're real familiar with where the clutch engages and disengages a hill start will be easy and they won't notice the HA at all.

It's a quick and easy way to build muscle memory.
Imagine that your car's electronics decided that the only safe speed to make a turn was 7MPH. So everytime you turned the wheel, your car would slow to 7MPH. This would reasonably annoy the crap out of you. Then you came here to discuss the 7mph turning limitation, and someone assumed you didn't know how to properly modulate the gas peddle while turning the wheel, and then gave you ridiculous advice on how to accomplish, a proper turn.

How would you respond?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Imagine that your car's electronics decided that the only safe speed to make a turn was 7MPH. So everytime you turned the wheel, your car would slow to 7MPH. This would reasonably annoy the crap out of you. Then you came here to discuss the 7mph turning limitation, and someone assumed you didn't know how to properly modulate the gas peddle while turning the wheel, and then gave you ridiculous advice on how to accomplish, a proper turn.

How would you respond?
What's a peddle?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
What's a peddle?
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Damn ....

I'm sorry Officer. I mispelled "P E D A L"

MY

Letts pray the shoo nevr fines its elf on the othr fut.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
it did not bother me that much at 1st, until it activated when I did not notice the message. I've both stalled the car as well as done a burnout while trying to pull out on a slight incline. If it only worked as it is described in the manual where it would release the brake as soon as the gas pedal is depressed; but it doesn't. once it is activated, only time will release it. I just wish there was a button to turn it off...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehmsea View Post
it did not bother me that much at 1st, until it activated when I did not notice the message. I've both stalled the car as well as done a burnout while trying to pull out on a slight incline. If it only worked as it is described in the manual where it would release the brake as soon as the gas pedal is depressed; but it doesn't. once it is activated, only time will release it. I just wish there was a button to turn it off...

I have come to believe that it's a computer system that is adaptive and learns. I have 12,000 miles on my car and no longer have a problem with it. When it does activate (rarely now) I simply press on the throttle and it releases right away. I no longer get the holding that it did when I had less miles on the car.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
No. I learned to drive a stick in 1987. I wouldn't need Hill Assist on the Alps, and if I did, I'd use the parking brake. Hill Assist is a solution looking for a problem. The car's already got a parking brake. What's the problem.
I parked, angled, front in, at a road side diner. When I was leaving, I noticed the air dam was 2 inches from the curb. Used the parking brake to back up.

Like one is supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I have come to believe that it's a computer system that is adaptive and learns. I have 12,000 miles on my car and no longer have a problem with it. When it does activate (rarely now) I simply press on the throttle and it releases right away. I no longer get the holding that it did when I had less miles on the car.
I think you're right. I noticed it for, maybe, a week. Now I never feel it.

As a side, I haven't stalled or experienced skip-shift (though I tried, lol) yet, not once.

What are (some of) you guys doing wrong???
DDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Damn ....

I'm sorry Officer. I mispelled "P E D A L"

MY

Letts pray the shoo nevr fines its elf on the othr fut.
Lol. Just kidding man.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote