Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
I'm a pig. Promised to do the install of the prototype bulbs today but the UPS man let me down. To get good photos etc I want to do it on jack stands and mine haven't arrived yet. Tracking number says they are out for delivery, but that is what it has said since 7:00 am. I know removing the front wheels isn't mandatory, but I promised Jonathan a review with pics and my picky nature wants them to be good pics so people can actually see.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

They are installed

OK I finally got it done folks! The UPS man came through with my jack stands so I put em in this morning. You really don't need to remove the wheels for this but I have 20 inch 275's up front and to get decent pics I wanted to remove them.

Before I start on the install let me mention loud and clear that my bulbs are PROTOTYPES!!!! Jonathan asked me if i would take them and do an install so they could get a good unbiased review and I happily agreed. Mine don't click into the OEM plug and that is just fine by me. After feeling how firmly they seat I don't have any worries about them slipping out.

Enough of this, time to get to the pics
Attached Images

ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Notice I used two jack stands and the jack to keep the front end safely off the ground. My Daddy told me young to never trust your life under a car to just a jack. After all it is designed to be lowered. Jack stands aren't.

Three T20 torx screws release the wheel well liner so you can easily get to the factory bulb and plug.

A quick 1/4 turn to the left and out they come. Then push the release at the back of the plug and the bulb pulls right out.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

New bulbs

I recommend trial fitting the new bulbs. Mine (again folks these were prototypes) would not seat fully until I took a bit of mold flashing off with my needle file. Could have easily used my wife's nail file, but if you have a cool needle file why not use it once in a while. This literally took all of 30 seconds.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

New ones in

Then push the new bulbs in firmly till they are completely seated. Putting them back into the rear of the DRL is bullet proof easy. They will only go one way. Push them firmly into the bracket and give it a quarter turn to the right. Note that red rubber O-ring seal. It is sized correctly to provide a good seal so it will require a bit of forward pressure to put it in and turn. I was glad to feel that pressure. That is my assurance that they really are sealed.

A pleasant surprise for me is how cool they look when they aren't turned on. I had never really considered how they would look when off, but now that I see them I think they look good.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Light em up

Then I put the wheels back on, started the lugs, a couple pumps on the jack to pull the jack stands and lowered the car till the wheels just touch. Bring the lugs up to 50 pounds of torque and let the car down just a touch more. Torque the lugs to final specs and remove the jack.

Then fire up the new lights and take some pics of how cool everything is looking. I really like the look of these lights! The hue is perfect to me. They look like they belong on the car where the stockers always looked a bit out of place with such modern headlights right above them.

I am very happy with the P13W's and AAC from start to finish. Quality, customer service, and service after the sale has all been spot on for me. I currently have the interior lights, P13W's, and tinted reverse lights with all of them being good quality upgrades. The reverse lights I consider a mandatory upgrade for anyone with tinted windows. If you have any questions just let me know.

A little time for my checking account to recover and I will be back for the painted tinted side markers!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
hmm... i literally just ordered my plasma DRL bulbs from AAC just days ago... had I known they were working on an upgraded model, I would've just waited. dang...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
Support@OracleLights.com

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
Then I put the wheels back on, started the lugs, a couple pumps on the jack to pull the jack stands and lowered the car till the wheels just touch. Bring the lugs up to 50 pounds of torque and let the car down just a touch more. Torque the lugs to final specs and remove the jack.

Then fire up the new lights and take some pics of how cool everything is looking. I really like the look of these lights! The hue is perfect to me. They look like they belong on the car where the stockers always looked a bit out of place with such modern headlights right above them.

I am very happy with the P13W's and AAC from start to finish. Quality, customer service, and service after the sale has all been spot on for me. I currently have the interior lights, P13W's, and tinted reverse lights with all of them being good quality upgrades. The reverse lights I consider a mandatory upgrade for anyone with tinted windows. If you have any questions just let me know.

A little time for my checking account to recover and I will be back for the painted tinted side markers!!!
Thank you for the honest review!
Support@OracleLights.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
hmm... i literally just ordered my plasma DRL bulbs from AAC just days ago... had I known they were working on an upgraded model, I would've just waited. dang...
If you just ordered then you will get the new ones. AAC is expecting to have the new ones in soon so they have stopped sending out the old ones.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com View Post
Thank you for the honest review!
No problem. It was kind of a hoot really. A good excuse to take tons of pics of the car!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
how do you feel in terms of it matching the headlights?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
++++1
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
LS3AlexSS

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS
They are automatically going to give you the newer bulbs. Expected to start shipping Feb 14.
LS3AlexSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #28
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Did they ever get these to match the headlights? The plasmas always looked a different color, whereas the original P13ws matched dead-on. That's why I still have the blinky originals lol.