Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ View Post
To each his own man and I don't fault you for it. I just am not and will not drive the V8 everyday when there is something better still with V8ish power and cheaper. Think about all the miles I am going to rack up on the V6...so you calculate that back to under 30K and great gas mileage. To me no brainer as a daily.

Soooo I like it so much and would like to have the extra power to play in(not as a daily), I am getting a V8

I would suggest checking out the V8 forum I think you will find that you don't have to debate anyone and beat up on any dead horses ...lol No girly V6 engines over there either....
Ok So being a woman I too in the past had a 79 z28 loved the power and the sounds but back in the 80s gas prices were not an issue. Now with gas going up up up and because my 2010 camaro will be my primary car. This is why I have picked the V6. I hope I don't regret it either but I still can change my mind the only thing for me is I like the perks the LT2 RS has to offer over the SS1. When I build out the SS2 it comes to like almost 37-40 grand vs.. 30,450 for my LT2 RS now when I add the invisabra its 31K. I have a trade in and will get about 15K for it so really my loan will not be to bad as I hate car payments.. OH one thing that is making me think twice about an ss is here in Utah insurance for the LT2 will be 161.50 vs the SS at 135.00 talk about a shock I thought forsure it would be the other way around.

I do have a question I hear the V6 will take regular gas so can you tell me if the v8 takes reg or preimium? I will keep reading and posting my questions and when the call me in to do the financing and comfirm my car build I then can finalize my decision. I am currenlty at stage 1100. its only been over a week since I ordered it and paid my deposit.

Anway thanks..
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Seeing a V6 vs V8 thread earlier has made me think a lot more about the differences. I of course have the 2LT RS Silver Ice and love it!!!!!!. Still though I would not mind having the V8. Really never thought it would be an issue. I chose the V6 due to it having plenty of power(300+HP) and having great gas mileage. Also I liked the clean front end look. Would I be totally insane to trade up to the V8 at this point having only 500 miles on my Beauty? Anyone elso have this thought? I am torn but love the thought of sticker being under 30K, cheaper insurance, and the better gas mileage. Now being a 33 year old male....I am wondering if my human instinct to want more power I don't need is starting to creep out. Thoughts anyone??? I of course would like to have both....my wife take the V6 and then I get a V8, but that has been squashed..lol. Not happening. The wife and my logic says be content but the greed says trade it in on the V8 now....help??

Thanks,

Don
Madison, Mississippi
Don't give up on what you love. Be patient. I think that the people in forums like this and Camaro car clubs have a lot of influence on the after market for V-6 improvements like a better cam; superchargers; turbo's; etc. Why is the Camaro here? Because WE pushed GM to build it after the concept was shown. If the RS guys show the SEMA guys there is a market for performance upgrades. This isn't a Mustang V-6, this is a performance V-6. Just look how much influence (forgive me in this forum) the ricers have had over the past decade. Form a camaro club or a RS club in your area and e-mail; text; or call your butts off. Public opinion matters. Be patient and let your voice and your RPM's be heard.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
Ok So being a woman I too in the past had a 79 z28 loved the power and the sounds but back in the 80s gas prices were not an issue. Now with gas going up up up and because my 2010 camaro will be my primary car. This is why I have picked the V6. I hope I don't regret it either but I still can change my mind the only thing for me is I like the perks the LT2 RS has to offer over the SS1. When I build out the SS2 it comes to like almost 37-40 grand vs.. 30,450 for my LT2 RS now when I add the invisabra its 31K. I have a trade in and will get about 15K for it so really my loan will not be to bad as I hate car payments.. OH one thing that is making me think twice about an ss is here in Utah insurance for the LT2 will be 161.50 vs the SS at 135.00 talk about a shock I thought forsure it would be the other way around.

I do have a question I hear the V6 will take regular gas so can you tell me if the v8 takes reg or preimium? I will keep reading and posting my questions and when the call me in to do the financing and comfirm my car build I then can finalize my decision. I am currenlty at stage 1100. its only been over a week since I ordered it and paid my deposit.

Anway thanks..

Go with your gut.... The V6 takes regular gas and the V8 takes Premium. If you are going to drive it daily, then the V6 is awesome! Check out all the mags out there with the reviews on the V6 as a daily Sports car. When my V8 comes in....it will be a play vehicle only. I drove the V6 all day yesterday and it will go! I love it. For all the differences you just mentioned....payments, price, insurance, gas mileage, premium gas. To me the V6 is the way to go if you are driving it daily and racking up miles on it. Not sure if you have driven one but when you do, you will be amazed with the power. I also felt the same as you....I would much rather a fully loaded 2LT over the 1SS but again it all goes back to the V6 will be a daily and it made the most since. You get the best of both worlds in the V6 IMO. The only reason I am getting the V8 is it will be my seondary vehicle. Good luck with your choice.

Don
Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Thanks..

Quote:
Go with your gut.... The V6 takes regular gas and the V8 takes Premium. If you are going to drive it daily, then the V6 is awesome! Check out all the mags out there with the reviews on the V6 as a daily Sports car. When my V8 comes in....it will be a play vehicle only. I drove the V6 all day yesterday and it will go! I love it. For all the differences you just mentioned....payments, price, insurance, gas mileage, premium gas. To me the V6 is the way to go if you are driving it daily and racking up miles on it. Not sure if you have driven one but when you do, you will be amazed with the power. I also felt the same as you....I would much rather a fully loaded 2LT over the 1SS but again it all goes back to the V6 will be a daily and it made the most since. You get the best of both worlds in the V6 IMO. The only reason I am getting the V8 is it will be my seondary vehicle. Good luck with your choice.

Don
What color are you getting in your V8?
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
What color are you getting in your V8?

Same color as our 2LT RS....Silver Ice but with Cyber Gray Rally Stripes The color just pops to me for some reason. It just seems the color as a lot of versatility.

I thought about Cyber Gray and Inferno Orange but always gravitate back to the Silver...
Old 06-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Quote:

Don
So basically what you are saying is.... I will have more fun in my 2SS V8 but since I need a daily driver too and gas is an issue because of money you will have the V6 as well.....

But the whole point is if someone is "settling" for a V6 2010 Camaro money has SOMETHING to do with it OR they never cared about performance sports vehicles in the first place..... Someone convince me otherwise
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
So basically what you are saying is.... I will have more fun in my 2SS V8 but since I need a daily driver too and gas is an issue because of money you will have the V6 as well.....

But the whole point is if someone is "settling" for a V6 2010 Camaro money has SOMETHING to do with it OR they never cared about performance sports vehicles in the first place..... Someone convince me otherwise

The V6 performs quite well from what I have read. It is lighter than the V8. I am not sure what your getting at. Who will be racing. You are driving a high performance car with both engines as they are designed the same...lol
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
jdbaker82
Banned

Quote:
The V6 performs quite well from what I have read. It is lighter than the V8. I am not sure what your getting at. Who will be racing. You are driving a high performance car with both engines as they are designed the same...lol
You are the one that said it yourself that your decision was based off of gas mileage and insurance. (AKA Making a smart money decision)
Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #23
jdbaker82
Banned

Quote:
Seeing a V6 vs V8 thread earlier has made me think a lot more about the differences. I of course have the 2LT RS Silver Ice and love it!!!!!!. Still though I would not mind having the V8. Really never thought it would be an issue. I chose the V6 due to it having plenty of power(300+HP) and having great gas mileage. Also I liked the clean front end look. Would I be totally insane to trade up to the V8 at this point having only 500 miles on my Beauty? Anyone elso have this thought? I am torn but love the thought of sticker being under 30K, cheaper insurance, and the better gas mileage. Now being a 33 year old male....I am wondering if my human instinct to want more power I don't need is starting to creep out. Thoughts anyone??? I of course would like to have both....my wife take the V6 and then I get a V8, but that has been squashed..lol. Not happening. The wife and my logic says be content but the greed says trade it in on the V8 now....help??

Thanks,

Don
Madison, Mississippi
So what I am reading here is not that you may have regretted your decision in going with the V6?

Looks pretty clear to me.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #24
DCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbaker82 View Post
You are the one that said it yourself that your decision was based off of gas mileage and insurance. (AKA Making a smart money decision)
Right as a daily driver...hence the V6. V8 will be secondary and not be driven everyday as it is not as eco friendly....
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #25
jdbaker82
Banned

DCJ you seem to be ignoring my point.. A daily driver is what it is because its economical, better gas mileage etc.... But just pretend the gas mileage was the same with the V6 as well as the V8 price was the same and everything. Are you honestly telling me you would not buy the SS V8?

My whole point is that if money had nothing to do with it 90% or more of the people who got the V6 would have a V8 sitting in their driveway instead.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #26
jdbaker82
Banned

Now I have to decide if being smart with my money is "worth" settling on the V6.I guess there is no way for me to know the true answer to that question since I won't know until I dive in and purchase a 2LT or 1SS.

You are about the 5th thread I have found that mentioned some sort of regret about not getting the V8.

I am not trying to piss you off or make you unhappy or make you feel bad as I realize you love the V6 probably just as much as you will love the V8.... I already test drove the V6 from avis and loved it but the fact that the V8 exists and is an option completely changes everything.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #27
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I'll make my descision when the time comes. But the V6 is the smarter choice. But it will always be in the back of your head, needling at you.

I'll have to drive both the LT and SS to make my choice. Its either 2LTRS or 1SS bare... Money is a factor.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
jdbaker82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
I'll make my descision when the time comes. But the V6 is the smarter choice. But it will always be in the back of your head, needling at you.

I'll have to drive both the LT and SS to make my choice. Its either 2LTRS or 1SS bare... Money is a factor.
I am in the same boat as you... Identical...I plan on test driving a SS soon but already know I will fall in love as soon as I drive it.

My chances of settling for the 2LT would be better if I just never test drove or looked at a SS....