Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #141
Vaugner
Never Surrender!

Drives: '11 Camaro LS
Strange as it sounds, after reading and knowing about the spring in the clutch, I can actually feel it. I thought I had loose clutch pedal or some other problem, but after repeated use over and over, it's a consistent "softer pressure" then I've experianced in other clutches.

So yes, you do feel a difference - rest of it comes down to preference, but no reason to panic.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #142
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
I work at jeep, now THOSE are some terrible clutches.. and don't even get me started on the shifter..
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #143
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Lets see, Ferarri, Fierro, 4-runner(early 90s), Tacoma (early 90s), T-100, Neon, Forester, 2.5 Ton green truck, WRX, and out of those only the forester had a hydraulic clutch and funky spring like the camaro, hated it too. I know I drove plenty of other sticks for shorter periods of time, but can't recall them right now. I'm definitely not claiming to have driven thousands of cars like some people, but pretty much all the cars I've driven have been manuals. Out of those, the 4-runner had the smoothest, consistant and most forgiving clutch.

I'm beginning to think this isn't as much of an issue for the short-legged people out there, as they put their seat so far forward that when they release to the end of the travel it's close to their total leg travel and they simply can't "pull away" more, whereas I'm more comfortable with the seat further back, and I can push my foot full forward easily, but due to increased range of motion I can also pull back further, thereby running into the funky springy clutch more.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #144
Fuel74

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Yeah - jeep is the worst.... been getting used to this Camaro clutch. It is sensitive, but once you get to know it, not too bad. Ripped a major burnout yesterday with no clutch burning smell . It's still on my list of upgrades though.
Fuel74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #145
kcobean
Zippy Lemon #109

Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Lets see, Ferarri, Fierro, 4-runner(early 90s), Tacoma (early 90s), T-100, Neon, Forester, 2.5 Ton green truck, WRX, and out of those only the forester had a hydraulic clutch and funky spring like the camaro, hated it too. I know I drove plenty of other sticks for shorter periods of time, but can't recall them right now. I'm definitely not claiming to have driven thousands of cars like some people, but pretty much all the cars I've driven have been manuals. Out of those, the 4-runner had the smoothest, consistant and most forgiving clutch.

I'm beginning to think this isn't as much of an issue for the short-legged people out there, as they put their seat so far forward that when they release to the end of the travel it's close to their total leg travel and they simply can't "pull away" more, whereas I'm more comfortable with the seat further back, and I can push my foot full forward easily, but due to increased range of motion I can also pull back further, thereby running into the funky springy clutch more.
I think you're right James, I suspect this issue is worse for taller people who, even when the seat is as far back as will still allow comfortable reach to the steering wheel, must bend their knee to a much greater extent during operation of the clutch, thus giving up some mechanical advantage of a near-fully extended leg.
2010 SLP ZL575 #109
kcobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #146
Earl
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
It's all about the shoes folks, all about the shoes.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #147
Dan_G
2012 - 2SS -45th

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS - 45th
I don't mind the clutch at all. I have had several cars of various types with manual trans.

For example, I had a 4-spd 70 Camaro for 18 years. I tried a few different street/strip clutches over the years (diaphragm, 3-finger). The mechanical linkage was less than ideal. The pedal was hard to press and not particularly smooth (particularly with the 3-finger clutch). I fussed with the springs and all ... I never really got the linkage to where I liked it. Those heavy clutches would invariably glaze and start to chatter. It took a fair amount of finesse to get the car to leave smooth. The linkage also needed periodic maintenance. I bent up a few clutch forks over the years.

My last car was an 08 Civic Si. The clutch was fine, very easy to press, very smooth. Considering the Camaro has 426HP, the clutch is surprisingly smooth and the pedal is easy to press. Surprisingly, not all that different from the Civic. These new style clutches with hydraulic linkages are a huge improvement over the street/strip clutches with mechanical linkage from back in the day.

My advice, stop thinking about the clutch ... it's fine.

Dan
Dan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #148
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Stock clutch imho is typical Detroit muscle car - you get what you get. Mod accordingly at your own risk to get your desired feel.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #149
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I'm 6'1 but don't sit ALL the way back. The Camaro clutch doesn't feel much different than my Z's or my past 3 GM v8's. I can modulate the engagement smoothly, without any "cam" sensation.
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #150
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrdude View Post
:headscratch:

Wet clutch? Are you sure?

Or, were your referring to hydraulic vs. cable/linkage clutch actuation?
I thinking like you dude...we have a dry clutch with hyrdaulic actuation. Tractors have wet clutches that run in an oil bath. If we had a wet clutch, you wouldn't smell it burning during an aggressive or poor launch.

[/pot stirring]

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote