Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
DieselDork

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Evaluating Cat-Backs

I was reading in another thread about something un-related and saw mention of "The Cat Back again depending exact set up can do From nothing to hurting HP and torque.".

That gave me pause and caused me to wonder what exactly makes one cat back better or worse than another? I bought mine based on previous experience with the manufacturer and price.

I would have assumed (presumably incorrectly) that all catbacks with x-pipes and straight through mufflers were "equal". Is that not truly the case?

How do you identify a cat back that may hurt HP/TQ?
DieselDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Most catbacks do not help HP but I have never heard they could hurt HP. I think most people pick by sound and then price. It has to sound good.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
DieselDork

That's kinda what I would have thought. I'm curious to see if some experts pick this up and shed some insight.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There was some talk about a certain muffler that was found to be restrictive and hurt HP/Tq. I forget which muffler it was though. As long as you stick to one that has a straight through design and retains a cross over (H or X pipe), you shouldn't have a problem with losing anything. Of course your gains will be minimal as well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
DieselDork

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm more worried about restriction and loss than I am any gains. I figure there's no power to be made past the x-pipe.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
Interesting. Thanks.

I'm more worried about restriction and loss than I am any gains. I figure there's no power to be made past the x-pipe.
Do you have any power goals in mind? If you are planning on a big HP build then I would recomend a 3" system instead of a 2.5". If you are planning on a simple bolt on car then I would just say grab what you think sounds best. Stop by our site and shop around we have tons of options up. If you're looking for a wicked sounding system that has no restriction check out the Stainless Works retro chambered system and MBRP systems. They both sound awesome, are 3" systems and will have very little to no restriction.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
DieselDork

Hey man,

Actually, I already have an exhaust that I'm happy with (GHL), this post was more for my education and information that me trying to make a decision. Sorry if it came out another way.

Andy
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Exhaust wave timing. That subject could get a 100 page thread started The placement of the X - H is very important. X and H pipes operate differently and thus have their own strengths. The bends in the pipe are important. The type and sizes of the muffler are important. If the company did research their will work much better than a company that just throws in stock parts at it and makes a new system just so they offer one for that model car. So how do you know which one works for your setup? Well the key is research. Find others who have true before and after dyno's with your exact setup, find manufacturers R&D dyno's. If you start looking through dyno's comparing systems, look for power dips, etc. Think about the rpm range you are trying to maximize and pick the one that makes the best power over that range. If the company doesn't publish their R&D dyno results, then I figure they didn't do them and were all about designing a cool sounding system over one that actually performs well.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
TJeezey

Drives: 2011 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
Exhaust wave timing. That subject could get a 100 page thread started The placement of the X - H is very important. X and H pipes operate differently and thus have their own strengths. The bends in the pipe are important. The type and sizes of the muffler are important. If the company did research their will work much better than a company that just throws in stock parts at it and makes a new system just so they offer one for that model car. So how do you know which one works for your setup? Well the key is research. Find others who have true before and after dyno's with your exact setup, find manufacturers R&D dyno's. If you start looking through dyno's comparing systems, look for power dips, etc. Think about the rpm range you are trying to maximize and pick the one that makes the best power over that range. If the company doesn't publish their R&D dyno results, then I figure they didn't do them and were all about designing a cool sounding system over one that actually performs well.
That's exactally why I chose the borla atak catback. There r&d is second to none. Plus it sounds amazing...

TJeezey is offline   Reply With Quote