Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
tw3ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 SW/IOM
Brake Pads

Time to replace pads any thoughts on brand. Mostly street but some road course action.

tw3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) would be a good choice. They are a pretty significant upgrade over stock without getting into the compromises (dust and noise) of dedicated track pad.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw3ss View Post
Time to replace pads any thoughts on brand. Mostly street but some road course action.

The Hawk HPS will not cut it for the road course, they just won't withstand the heat. The HPS are a great pad for the street, but for your days out on the road course, I'd suggest switching out the pads to some Hawk DTC 30's up front and HP Plus rear. This is the setup we have been using on our JDP Camaro with excellent results out at Miller Motorsports park.

The stock pads are probably your best option for a good all around pad, but you will want to step up sooner or later.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Threlkeld's SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I have a set of used stock pads for cheap in the classified section if your interested.
Threlkeld's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:

IF you are serious about the Road Course you should really do a pad swap like Tyler suggested. Then depending on what level you are at in your tracking experience will really determine the answer to your question.

However, street pads for the street and track pads for the track is what should be first and foremost in your mind.

Good track pads include Cobalt Friction, Carbotech and, according to Tyler, Hawk. Of course once you experience a really good track pad, all street pads will seem wimpy by comparison. But, there is a reason we do not run track pads on the street.

So, find yourself replacements for your street pads and then start looking into track pads. There are plenty of threads on this subject here with plenty of information. I am sure you already have the Dot4 fluid and Stainless Steel lines already.

Give Tyler a call and JDP can hook you up. Just beware the Hawks.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:

How much road course action? Novice, intermediate? Brake pad discussions are like headers, exhaust, and cosmetic discussions, many opinions and vendors jumping in trying to sell there favorites! I do know that everyone says stay away from Hawk HPS and Performance Ceramic if you're doing any track time. I think Tyler's advise is good but like I said it depends on how hard core you are at the track.

If you are concerned about squeaky brakes on the street some of those DTC-30's can squeak. HP + are excellent for occasional track days and should be good on the street. I'm a novice HPDE driver and the advice that I was given by several respected sources was to stick with the stock pads which are really very good! I am installing the JDP Quantum cooling ducts and upgrading the brake fluid to Motul 600 which has a higher boiling point than stock fluid for the occasional track day!

There are several brake pad discussion threads also if you do a search that may be helpful also!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I hated my HPplus pads on the street, squealed everywhere so loud it was totally obscene. Don't get me wrong, they stopped great but I relubed them constantly just to keep them tolerable for a few weeks. Some people dont have problems but for the price i would rather invest twice the money into two sets of street and track pads to never deal with the drama.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
tw3ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 SW/IOM
My time on the track in minimal once or twice a year . so an upgraded street pad is what I'm thinking.
tw3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
My time on the track in minimal once or twice a year . so an upgraded street pad is what I'm thinking.
That isn't an issue unless your on the track for multiple sessions, or an extended session like 25 minutes or more, your street pads will work ok for the first session, but the following sessions is where you will end up having a problem....even upgraded street pads will not survive the heat that road courses will cause....so be careful running street pads on road courses...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Besides noise and brake dust, is there any other reason not to run Hawk DTC 30's up front and HP Plus rear all the time? I plan to do 4 or more road races a year, and prefer not to change out my pads for each race. . I also assume this pad setup would be preferable for 1/4 and standing mile as well?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I run my track pads all the time, so a little noise and a lot of dust are the only issues I can see....I don't daily drive my Camaro, so not a big issue for me to leave them on...I will tell you that the Hawk pads(DTC30/HP+) are really noisy from my experience, much more so than the Cobalt Friction pads
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Some track pads need to be heated up to work properly so if you drive with them on the street you could have less braking force until they warm up which is of course dangerous.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Besides noise and brake dust, is there any other reason not to run Hawk DTC 30's up front and HP Plus rear all the time? I plan to do 4 or more road races a year, and prefer not to change out my pads for each race. . I also assume this pad setup would be preferable for 1/4 and standing mile as well?
When the DTC 30 pads are cold they will not bite quite the same as they will when warmed up. It's usually not too much of an issue other than the first stop.

We run that setup on our JDP Camaro on the street and have never had a problem. They are very dusty and pretty noisy though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
what pad would you guys recommend for quietness?
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote