Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Best bang for buck audio upgrade on a budget?

So, I've decided that the Boston Acoustics system needs a little more oomph, and not sure what to do about it. I've read a good bit around this section of the forum, and still haven't reached a conclusion, so I'm posting now...

I'm looking to deepen the bass just a little bit (rid of the static at high volume) and kind of 'clear up' the sound.

I also am needing to do this on a pretty tight budget.

I think maybe an amp replacement would be the best way to go, but I don't have 500+ to spend on an amp...am I just going to have to bite the bullet and do that?

Can anyone recommend an upgrade that will help out with the sound like mentioned above? Deepen the bass just a little, and clear up the static at higher volumes? I stream my audio via bluetooth from my phone...I'm sure that may have something to do with it, however that part isn't going to change...

I'm really hoping to keep any upgrade under $300 if possible...is it do-able?

Thanks!!!!
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Perhaps do some experiments to isolate what is causing the issues first. Do you get the static at high volumes only when streaming bluetooth from your phone, or is it with any sound sourcing (radio, CD, etc.)? Knowing root cause can better help determine where corrective action would be best applied.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
******** FARK kit + pick your 4 channel amp might work well in addressing the need for a fuller sound (but you'll more than likely be getting very close to that $500 amt). The static at higher volumes, however, sound like a system problem. I never experienced that particular problem when my system was more or less stock. Where do you have your equalization settings set. At what volume level do you experience the static? I found that much over 30 on the stock setup introduced very unacceptable levels of distortion due to the Boston Amp running out of steam...
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
hazy

Distortion will generally come when vol levels are above 22+ usually...

EQ settings are heavy on the bass, but primarily bc I think these speakers don't push out as deep as I was hoping they would...low end is set to 11, mid is 6 or 7, and I think High is 8...

I also have played around with different EQ combos on my phone, and the stereo to see if I could balance the sound a little better, and it doesn't really help that much.

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do a complete sub/amp upgrade with crossovers. I think that would really give me the sound I'm looking for, but man...from what I've read, that's going to be in the 700+ range, which is really beyond my means for the foreseeable future...

Oh well...guess that's the way it goes...as I've seen around here alot, "you gotta pay to play" but on a car like this, I must say that I'm mildly disappointed in the 'upgraded' system. I'd really hate to hear the sound on a factory system without the BA upgrade..
Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
My $0.02:

Disconnect the center speaker (free).
Add a good mono amp & sub.

Once you start down the path of changing out speakers it can get expensive very quickly since the BA system is setup to be one integrated unit. You really can't replace any one speaker (unless you get someone's take offs) without having to replace them all along with the amp.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Texzen

I'm a "cut" rather than "boost" guy. It seems to me that the Boston amp is flat running out of steam/being over-driven due to the high bass boost. By 11, 6 & 8, I'm guessing that is boost above "center/flat" on the eq? Have you considered tried leaving the bass at the center (no boost, no cut) level and then cutting mid & treble & seeing what effect this has on the static/noise level? Here's where I have mine set.

TBH, I was ok w/the Boston amp for about 6 months, I then pulled my ******** FARK out (that I used w/my '10 SS) and purchased a smallish Arc Audio 4 channel amp. Made a huge difference and worked well for me for the past 6 months. I still run mostly flat, but I have much more headroom to deal with and never get static...depending upon the source material, I can hit around 30-32 on the volume before things get harsh sounding. All of that being said, I'm now about to start the process of installing some Focal PS 165 fx components powered by the Zapco DC Ref 360.4 i have gathering dust & will then add a 10" sub or 2 w/similar amplification.

Hopefully this is helpful.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Texzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
My $0.02:

Disconnect the center speaker (free).
Add a good mono amp & sub.

Once you start down the path of changing out speakers it can get expensive very quickly since the BA system is setup to be one integrated unit. You really can't replace any one speaker (unless you get someone's take offs) without having to replace them all along with the amp.

I ran this exact setup in my '10 SS. ******** fark, 10" JL10w3d4, 500w sub amp. Worked extremely well.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
hazy

Well, I was stuck in some nasty traffic last night, so I had the opportunity to play around with some settings, and got it sounding moderately better...

Turned down bass to 10 (2 steps above max) kept mid at 6(essentially flat) and put highs at 7.

Also turned off the EQ on my phone, and faded the speakers one notch to the rear speakers.

Overall sound quality is better, but I still want a little more bass, so I think I'm going to piecemeal it out...save up and buy an amp/wiring kit, install that, then when I can get the funds together, add a 10" sub.

I don't want to be rattling any windows, just want my music to sound good.

Thanks for the help, folks!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
MaloCS

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition, 2SS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texzen View Post
I'm a "cut" rather than "boost" guy.
I agree 100%.

Most people have no idea on how to tune their stereo's. The first thing they do is max out the EQ and turn the volume all the way up. All this does is decrease the distortion ceiling which in turn causes the head unit to generate distortion at much lower volume levels. Then, these uninformed people will blame the amp, the speakers or the head unit for the music sounding like crap. Never mind the fact that most modern music suffers from dynamic compression that further compounds the problem. (If you don't know what dynamic compression is just YouTube "loudness wars" and you'll find out.)

Hazy,

The first thing I would do is reset the EQ to "flat" followed by installing a quality after market amp and sub woofer. I would leave the Boston Acoustic amp and speakers in place while giving the new amp/sub combo a good listen for a few weeks. If after this trial period you still think that the BA speakers and amp need replaced then you are now properly informed to make a decision on which direction you want to go. You may find that after resetting your EQ to the "flat" position, along with the addition of a quality after market sub/amp combo, that you no longer feel the need to rip out the BA system and replace it.

Another thing to consider is how to properly adjust your EQ settings. Texzen hit the nail on the head when he stated that he has had more success adjusting his EQ to the negative rather then the positive. I've had the same experience as him and will never take my EQ settings above "flat" or "0". If my system sounds too bright I turn down the treble rather than turning up the bass. Conversely, if my system sounds too warm I turn down the bass rather than turning up the treble. This method ensures that I am not unwittingly introducing distortion into the system which degrades the audio signal and has the potential to damage your equipment at higher volumes.

The problem with adjusting the EQ to the negative is it gives the perception that the stereo is not as loud. This is not true. The fact is that most people equate loudness with pain so an ear splitting stereo with a maxed out EQ and volume control will seem louder because it hurts your ears. However, the reason your ears hurt is not due to volume but rather the distortion introduced by maxed out EQ settings, a volume setting that resides in the head unit's distortion zone and a song that has been engineered with dynamic compression.

I've been in cars that are so clean that the stereo does not seem loud. Why? Because there's very little, if any distortion. Distortion is the problem so anything you can do to eliminate distortion is advisable. This includes adequate power that can handle your listening patterns and a properly tuned EQ. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done to eliminate the distortion caused by dynamically compressed songs.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
MaloCS

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition, 2SS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
Well, I was stuck in some nasty traffic last night, so I had the opportunity to play around with some settings, and got it sounding moderately better...

Turned down bass to 10 (2 steps above max) kept mid at 6(essentially flat) and put highs at 7.

Also turned off the EQ on my phone, and faded the speakers one notch to the rear speakers.

Overall sound quality is better, but I still want a little more bass, so I think I'm going to piecemeal it out...save up and buy an amp/wiring kit, install that, then when I can get the funds together, add a 10" sub.

I don't want to be rattling any windows, just want my music to sound good.

Thanks for the help, folks!!
Holy cow!

First, I would wager that you're listening to music that has been dynamically compressed. Second, you were sending the head unit a heavily processed signal to begin with due to your mobile device's EQ setting. Third, you took that heavily processed signal and proceeded to process it some more with the EQ on your head unit. Fourth, you probably cranked your head unit into the high 20s or low 30s which creates a fair amount of distortion in an of itself. Can you see why your stereo sounds like crap?

First, set you EQ to "Flat" for bass, mids and treble. Second, ensure the EQ on your mobile device is turned off. Third, keep the volume lower then 25. Fourth, give a quality listen with your favorite music. If you have to fight the urge to turn the volume up so you can feel the bass you know you need a dedicated sub/amp combo. If you have to fight the urge to turn up your bass EQ settings you know you need a dedicated amp/sub combo.

Good luck.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
hazy

Well consider me schooled!

I've played around a bit more and now totally understand what you're saying.

I've turned off the EQ on my phone completely, and have adjusted the car EQ down dramatically, and saw a corresponding improvement in sound quality. Is it what I want yet? Not quite, but I do feel pretty confident that if I take your suggestion and get the additional sub/amp that I will have exactly what I'm looking for.

Here I am 30 years old and finally learned how to adjust an EQ! Now I know why that shit has been so frustrating for me! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
A sub will allow you to keep bass flat or reduced on the headunit. This will provide the bass that you likely want to hear, and give the factory system a little more headroom before distortion occurs.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I highly recommend the Rockford fosgate powered sub. It can be found for $150 shipped and it very easy to install with the ******** harness. Only other thing you need is an amp wiring kit which can be found on amazon for like $15 bucks. All the work is in the trunk, no need to rip apart your dashboard or take the radio out. Can be installed in about 2 hours total.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
jiannotto9492

Drives: 2014 Red 2LS
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with getting rid of that central speaker probably would add a bass tube in the trunk.
jiannotto9492 is offline   Reply With Quote