Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
Very nice 3GPA, I like the look of the flat paint!

Sixtyniner:
You stole my idea!!!! Just kidding, but I have been designing mine to be almost exactly that! Based on a concept picture from long ago I found on my hard drive. (see below)
I think I'm gonna go with factory width, coming to the slot kinda like my photochopped picture below
Attached Images

Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #16
131 SS
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Any updates 69er?
Anything yet?

Mike
131 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #17
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
I had on factory matte vinyl stripes but then i had them redone and painted on , " What a big difference from matte vinyl ( dull ) to painted on ( glossy ) ..
Attached Images

fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
Miamivette

Drives: 05 Monte/71 Vette
After seeing yours, I am glad I have decided to do the same. Gloss paint looks so much better.
Miamivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
bluovalkiller

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS3
Very nice...I am doing my stripes the same way...Not a fan of stickers on my car.
bluovalkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
I hate to disagree here, but it's all personal preference if you ask me. My wife and I both prefer the duller matte look. I also think it will match the unpainted ground effects much better since we are going that route. Seems like the matte color blends in with the un-armoralled tires and front grill. Just like whenever I've added bow ties to my Chevy's, I always opt for the matte decals over the glossy. Just my preference.
I'm not saying the painted looks worse. They do look good! Just a different look and definitely more expensive.
I prefer my stripes to stand out from the glossy paint instead of showing the same reflections. Maybe after I have them for a period of time, I'll wish I had gotten them painted, but my dealership charges a couple grand for painted stripes and it's just not worth the difference in appearance to me. Just weighing cost and preference both.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
Capstone

Drives: .
2L8IWON, Your Dealer is feeding you some Bull. .... plain and simple. It's not that painted stripes are cheap, but anything more than $800 for OEM "hood and decklid only" stripes is a ripoff. My "bumblebee" stripes, that involve removing the entire front bumper, only cost $1100 and that included getting my bowties painted as well...
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Arkanian
"World of Warcraft" Gamer

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS LS3 AFO
I have to say that I am also fan of the gloss, when I ordered my IBM 2SS/RS I ordered the silver rally and the $950 exhaust upgrade, I then asked my dealer if it was possible to have the roof striped as well, he never got back to me on that one. So recently had them take off the stripes and exhaust from the order to have them done myself, can't wait for arrival...
Arkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
nice car i like the painted stripes, if you don't mind what did you pay for them to get done?
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
2L8IWON, Your Dealer is feeding you some Bull. .... plain and simple. It's not that painted stripes are cheap, but anything more than $800 for OEM "hood and decklid only" stripes is a ripoff. My "bumblebee" stripes, that involve removing the entire front bumper, only cost $1100 and that included getting my bowties painted as well...
I was quickly skimming over my salesman quoting that price to someone else. I could have not read it completely. It could have been to have the hood and trunk painted, but perhaps I misunderstood while thinking it was the stripes.
They also have striped decals in glossy too along with matte. Well, they do at the shops around here.
Again, the painted is nice, but just not the look that I am aiming for. I will be trying to blend in the stripes with the Zaino treated unpainted ground effects on my upcoming SIM just like the pics display at the top of this thread posted by 3Gpa. I think it looks great although I am having the rear chrome bezels powder coated black and I have black powder coated bow ties which is not a glossy look either. I'm just trying to make it all compatable the best I can while making my decisions via pictures.
The glossy stripes on your red SS look sweet! I think if I were going with a different color, I might opt for glossy stripes, especially if I were painting my ground effects. Also, if I were going with SIM without the unpainted ground effects, I might opt for glossy stripes like Fee5fofum did. I've changed my mind a few times on my build and I'm just going with my final preference here.
Even if I could get flat black or matte stripes painted for $800, I figured vinyl's would look the same if installed correctly and if they go down hill in any way over 3-4 years, I can pay to have them redone a second time and still be spending about $800 total while having them renewed down the road.
Those last pics on that V6 SIM by Fee5fofum helped because now I need to make sure that those gaps at the top of the hood and trunk don't happen. They can definitely take those vinyl stripes all the way to the edge. That installer screwed up with those and I don't blame him for wanting painted ones after that. I really hope they reimbursed his money for those screw-ups. If it happens to mine, I will definitely demand a re-install.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
nice car i like the painted stripes, if you don't mind what did you pay for them to get done?
I paid just under $350.00

When the dealer Tech tried to install the vinyl stripes they call all balled up. They were also streaked from overheating in the box i guess. So he told me he could paint them for about the same amount I paid for the vinyl. I had my choice of three differet shades of matte black. I choose number 3. He had it done a 1 day. The guy is really good. Anyone in the Northwest pm me and I'll send you the info...
Gus
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
3GPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
I hate to disagree here, but it's all personal preference if you ask me. My wife and I both prefer the duller matte look. I also think it will match the unpainted ground effects much better since we are going that route. Seems like the matte color blends in with the un-armoralled tires and front grill. Just like whenever I've added bow ties to my Chevy's, I always opt for the matte decals over the glossy. Just my preference.
I'm not saying the painted looks worse. They do look good! Just a different look and definitely more expensive.
I prefer my stripes to stand out from the glossy paint instead of showing the same reflections. Maybe after I have them for a period of time, I'll wish I had gotten them painted, but my dealership charges a couple grand for painted stripes and it's just not worth the difference in appearance to me. Just weighing cost and preference both.
Right On, Personal Taste!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
3GPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Are you sure those are painted on? They sure look like the factory vinyls.
Yepper
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #28
3GPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Well they do look like factory vinyl, they look good with that colour. Honestly though, if you are getting stripes painted on you can have any style and colour you want. I would go with something totally different than the factory stock look. For the price of a quality custom paint job you could have factory stripes done 4 times. If there is no real difference in the look I would stay with vinyl. Just my $0.02.
Yeah, but I wanted it this way. Reminds me of my 70 1/2 Camaro Z28/RS