Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Aftermarket oil cooler setup?

I am trying to piece together what parts I would need to put in an aftermarket oil cooler. Temps get hot on a road course in the summer and that's just gonna get worse now that I have a SC sitting on top.

I am not sure all that I would need. For starters, a temp-controlled cooler adapter:

http://www.improvedracing.com/adapte...ine-p-209.html

Anyone tried something like that with Dynatech headers in place? I remember reading that clearance can be a problem.

Some hose, obviously.

And an actual oil cooler. JusticePete suggests anything that is -12AN, but I am trying to figure out specific models that would fit behind the grille. There are a lot of possible options. Has anyone actually installed one? If so, what brand and model? Did you buy mounting brackets with it? If so, what part # on the bracket?

Here's one that is pretty low and wide, (4" high, 2" deep, 15" wide) but I'm not sure where it would bolt to or whether it would even fit behind the grille.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/8131...12#moreDetails

Any input from people who have actually bought specific ones and installed 'em?

Thanks!

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Lingenfelter sells an adapter that replaces the factory oil cooler that you can run lines off to a air cooled unit. They also have a complete system $$$.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Lingenfelter sells an adapter that replaces the factory oil cooler that you can run lines off to a air cooled unit. They also have a complete system $$$.
Here's their oil cooler adapter:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...E#.UQxF2-gma1s

I think it is like the one I posted in my earlier message, only without the thermostatic control feature.

I couldn't find a link to their complete system. Do you have one?

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Summit has some derale coolers that have a fan so you can mount them pretty much anywhere also i would get a plate type not a fin and tube model the plate has more capacity and flows a lot better
Fast6.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
SSSoon

Took the nose off and took some shots of the space where an oil filter would mount. Not a lot of options for where to mount it, now that I have a SC intercooler in front of the OEM rad.

I think the only options are:

1) two bolt holes above the rad on the flat yellow horizontal surface, and maybe hang it down somehow?

2) mount to the back side of the bumper?

No other solid surfaces there to mount to as far as I can see.

Would love to hear any other ideas
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Summit has some derale coolers that have a fan so you can mount them pretty much anywhere also i would get a plate type not a fin and tube model the plate has more capacity and flows a lot better
Had a look - thanks for the suggestion. Here's one of what they offer:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15220/overview/

It's about 12" x 16" x 4", fan attached. Apparently can get a fan thermostat, too.

Now with that approach there is no need to mount it in front of the existing rad. That's nice. Have you seen one mounted before? Trying to figure out where to put it. Engine bay is getting crowded for me with extra stuff.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Might be better off asking in the FI section. Those guys come in here too, but you'll get more views in there.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
SSSoon

So here's one possibility. Get wide, short cooler like this one from Earl's. 4 inch high, 15 inch wide.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/81312/10002/-1

And put some brackets off the bottom of the bumper, and suspend it just slightly behind the bumper. On this pic, it would fit to the right of the tow hook.

Anyone tried anything like this before?
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I made one using -10 hose. It mounts to the bottom of the front bumper brace so it gets air through the lower grille inlet.

LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
jcmG8

Drives: G8GT
fwiw, there is a very detailed oil cooler thread over on one of the G8 boards that I'd recommend having a look at. Member toedrag has done a excellent job documenting his build. post 64 has the install details

here is the BOM he used:
Mocal MOC-AOTGM, thermostatic adapter for LS engines
- Even though I had ~1-2mm of clearance between the corner of the Mocal unit & an exhaust runner (Kooks 1 7/8 LT), I did have a tiny bit of rubbing - not street driving but only after an HPDE day. I ended up filing the corner of the Mocal unit slightly. More info here: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...l=1#post505864
- The Mocal unit has a threaded hole, M12 x 1.5, at the top to receive a temp or pressure sender. Since I'm not yet using any sender in this hole, I plugged it. I initially had trouble locating a suitable bolt, but as it turns out, the oil drain plug from a 2005 BMW 3-series, Napa p/n BK 7041911, fits just fine. I used some thread sealant (Oatey Great White #31229) and no leaks yet after several months.
Setrab 50-915-7612 (Series 9, 15-row), http://www.setrabusa.com/oilcoolers_engine.html With M22 to -10AN fittings
Aeroquip Startlite aka Starlite -10 AN hose. This has a kevlar/nomex jacket and is very easy to work with
Qty 3, RaceFlux -10 AN 90-Degree Swivel Hose End Fitting 2 at the Setrab cooler, and 1 on the bottom facing port of the Mocal adapter
Qty 1, RaceFlux -10 AN 45-Degree Swivel Hose End Fitting For the front facing port of the Mocal adapter
Qty 8, Adel Mounting Clamps, -10AN (7/8" ID)

hope it helps. with the Camaro being based on G8/Commadore, should be applicable
jcmG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
I made one using -10 hose. It mounts to the bottom of the front bumper brace so it gets air through the lower grille inlet.
Thanks!

I think I just found a thread that might have some related pix:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209184

looks like under the bumper is good.

Looks like figuring out if the adapter will clear the headers cant really be done until you get it in there. Different headers, different clearances, etc.

If anyone has tried any adapter with Dynatech headers please post your experience!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmG8 View Post
fwiw, there is a very detailed oil cooler thread over on one of the G8 boards that I'd recommend having a look at. Member toedrag has done a excellent job documenting his build. post 64 has the install details
Wow, what an awesome thread. One of the posters there actually validated that the oil temp reading that the LS3 engine provides is a computer-based estimation. The oil temp gauge is NOT reality; adding an oil cooler doesn't "seem" to change oil temp on the gauge because the computer is estimating based on things like RPM and IAT, and of course it doesn't know if a cooler is added. Interesting.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I just spent about $400 on stuff (cooler, adapter, an fittings, braided lines, etc) to piece together an oil cooler kit. Ebay is a great place to buy name brand (setrab, mocal, earls, fluidyne, etc) coolers that are used but in great shape. The only thing I will have to do is figure out where to mount it to the bumper support. I am using the big vortech intercooler and have to contend with it. I think I will hang the cooler off center on the drivers side of the support to minimize the intercooler blockage. I have to fab up some mounts but there appears to be enough room in that area I might not block the intercooler at all. I also bought the improved racing thermostatic oil cooler adapter mentioned earlier in the thread.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I just spent about $400 on stuff (cooler, adapter, an fittings, braided lines, etc) to piece together an oil cooler kit. Ebay is a great place to buy name brand (setrab, mocal, earls, fluidyne, etc) coolers that are used but in great shape. The only thing I will have to do is figure out where to mount it to the bumper support. I am using the big vortech intercooler and have to contend with it. I think I will hang the cooler off center on the drivers side of the support to minimize the intercooler blockage. I have to fab up some mounts but there appears to be enough room in that area I might not block the intercooler at all. I also bought the improved racing thermostatic oil cooler adapter mentioned earlier in the thread.
Awesome. Any chance you could post a shopping list of what you got and do some pics as you go?

What kind of headers do you have? I have heard that people with some headers have been unable to mount some cooler adapters. Would be great to see yours when mounted, clearance, etc.

I wonder how hot the air is coming over an oil cooler when you're driving at speed. I understand that you don't want to block the SC intercooler but if the air coming off the oil cooler is, let's say, 20 degrees warmer than ambient air, then it would still be effective on the intercooler. I guess that's why the SC manufacturers hang theirs in front of the rad - it has to make the rad a little less effective, but maybe not that much?

Can anyone describe the difference between -12AN and -10AN? I have heard that it is good to get as big as possible but I can't seem to find what those measurements actually correspond to. Internal diameter of pipe attachment points?