Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Subframe Bush Upgrades. From Simple DIYer to Full Race Capable

Subframe Bush Upgrades. From Simple DIYer to Full Race Capable

Pedders subframe Options

The rear ZETA II platform on the rear of the Camaro is one of the best systems on the market. It works and works very well. GM built the Camaro for performance and comfort and the systems work just fine for the majority of the 100,000 new 2010 Camaro owners that have bought this awesome ride.

Then there are those that want it better, and that is where Pedders comes to the rescue. With the OE subframe bushings this will allow your subframe to move approximately 1/2 in in all directions and when driving the Camaro in a very seriously way, you may be able to feel the Camaro back end "step out" in the twisties.

We offer not just 1 but 3 options for the subframe bushing upgrade. Here they are:
EP1200 PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERTS

SPECIAL REVISION: THE PICTURES OF THE REAR SUBFRAME INSERTS BELOW SHOW THERE ISA SMALL AMOUNT OF GREASE BETWEEN THE INSERT AND THE OE BUSHING. FOR THE DIYer, THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO DO THIS. THRU SOME SERIOUS TESTING, PEDDERS HAS DETERMINED THAT GREASE IS NOT REQUIRED HERE AND THEREFORE WE ARE NO LONGER RECOMMENDING IT. NO PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE DONE GREASE. BUT WE DO NOT WANT GREASE ON THERE ANYMORE BECAUSE IT IS UNNECESSARY. SO PLEASE NOTE THIS WHEN REVIEWING THE PICTURES

These bushings are awesome and seriously easy to install and the perfect DIY job that will take 1 to 2 hours. I am working on a DIYer manual now. How do they work? there are lots of voids in these bushings. You can take a large screw driver and easily deflect the center ferrules with little effort. Without removing the exhaust, you lower the cradle just enough so the rear alignment pins are showing, remove the lower plates, and install the 4 different, specific bushing inserts, top and bottom, front and rear. With the Pedders EP1200 insert bushings installed, you are effectively making all 4 of the rear subframe bushings solid. Here is a picture of installation on each of the 4 different bushing inserts:

THE REAR LOWER PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERT BUSHING

THE REAR UPPER PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERT BUSHING

THE FRONT UPPER PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERT BUSHING

THE REAR LOWER PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERT BUSHING

Now for those seriously aggressive Camaros that are really pushing the hp upgrades, and taking taking the Camaro into the 7/10 area on a road coarse or autocross, not to mention the Drag Racers running drag radials, the rubber in the sub frame is not strong enough to hold the subframe tight, thus the rubber deflection can cause the "stepout" mentioned above. So we offer 2 solutions for the VERY SERIOUS

The molds for these 2 bushings are the same. The difference is the poly. I believe the raw poly material for the EP1201HD cost over $425-$450 a gallon. The EP1201HD is as solid as delrin, but does not have the wear problems delrin has. Here are those bushings:

You can see there is blue material on the outer jacket of the OE subframe bushings. The OE bushings are not only a press fit, but they are glued in as well

Here is how Pedders removes these bushings, which takes about 2 minutes start to finish:

REAR SUBFRAME BUSHING WITH PEDDERS CUSTOM MADE RECIEVER PLATE

OE BUSHING REMOVED AND YOU CAN SEE THE EYELET OF THE SUBFRAME

FRONT OE SUBFRAME BUSH REMOVAL WITH PEDDERS TOOL

FRONT OE SUBFRAME BUSHING REMOVED

PEDDERS SOLID REAR SUBFRAME FRAME BUSHING INSTALLED

PEDDERS SOLID FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHING INSTALLED

Now granted only a Pedders dealer is able to get this custom made tool. So there is easy alternative that should take under 10 minutes a bushing:
1. Drill a hole thru the OE subframe bushing
2. Using a Reciprical Saw with a fine skinny blade, cut out the core of the bushing
3. Then cut out a 1 inch section of the outer plastic jacket BEING EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO CUT INTO THE EYELET
4. Then make another cut 180 degrees away
5. The outer jacket will come right out

Now remove all the blue glue with sand paper and remove any sharp burrs or edges that might be from the saw blade (NOTE: POLY CAN HANDLE A SLIGHTLY IRREGULAR SHAPE BUT POLY DOES NOT LIKE SHARP EDGES; THUS THE SANDING)

Now install the bushing halves, lubricate the center holes, install the ferrules then the lower plates and bolts, and raise the subframe back up making sure the alignment pins go into the new center ferrules. Torque the bolts and you now have the absolute best support for the rear subframe that you can get for any horsepower, and any kind of driving.

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions, just ask.

thanks
mike
dms

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 04-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
those are nice.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
got a price and a dealer in my area that can do this: Clarksville tenn 37042 PM the info pleeeeeeeeeeeease
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
got a price and a dealer in my area that can do this: Clarksville tenn 37042 PM the info pleeeeeeeeeeeease
PM sent

mike
dms
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
These sub frame bushings are the best upgrade that we have done to our car so far.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I just put in the 1167HD and 1201 bushings and am getting a pretty good amount of gear whine and some other noises from the rear now. which is more likely the cause? I'm assuming it's more from the 1167HD.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
I just put in the 1167HD and 1201 bushings and am getting a pretty good amount of gear whine and some other noises from the rear now. which is more likely the cause? I'm assuming it's more from the 1167HD.
It is the EP1167hd. If the noise is too loud, then can swap it with theEP1167. But the control is a lot more with the EP1167HD

thanks
mike
dms
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't know exactly how to ask this, so just know I'm not trying to stir the pot It's more of a general install question, I'd say...

How much of your solutions require special tools that are not available to purchase? I like to get dirty from time-to-time, and think all of your bushings would be something I could do, but it's looking like there are several that require taking the car to a dealer. Can you comment on which, exactly these are and typically, how much shop time it takes to replace them? I know you can't quote rates, that's why I ask for shop time.

Thanks
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't know exactly how to ask this, so just know I'm not trying to stir the pot It's more of a general install question, I'd say...

How much of your solutions require special tools that are not available to purchase? I like to get dirty from time-to-time, and think all of your bushings would be something I could do, but it's looking like there are several that require taking the car to a dealer. Can you comment on which, exactly these are and typically, how much shop time it takes to replace them? I know you can't quote rates, that's why I ask for shop time.

Thanks
This is a great question. The 2 special tools that Pedders offers its dealers for the Camaro are a bushing press for the rear diff and a bushing press for the rear subframe bushings. There are, however, alternative methods to our bushing presses to get these bushings out without remooving the subframe or differential

Other tools that we use are a hydraulic press, and a universal balljoint press and misc hand tools

thanks
mike
dms
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:

Thanks
This is a great question. The 2 special tools that Pedders offers its dealers for the Camaro are a bushing press for the rear diff and a bushing press for the rear subframe bushings. There are, however, alternative methods to our bushing presses to get these bushings out without remooving the subframe or differential

Other tools that we use are a hydraulic press, and a universal balljoint press and misc hand tools

In fact I believe there is an explanation of how to do the rear subframe bushings without using our special press above

But there is a significant advantage with our EP1200 insert bushings. They only take about a hour to hour and a half to install and require no special tools. You do not even have to drop the exhaust! They are good for 450-500hp art the rear less drag radial usage.Above these levels the OE rubber deflects too much.

A big part of my job is chatting with guys and assiting them technically. The skill levels of the Camaro enthusiasts, and even their shops vary significantly. Just like I did for the G8, I have already scheduled the vehicles to do installs just like DIYer guys would do, in their driveway and not a lift. This is a pain doing it this way as compared to having a well equipped shop. But I will show all that all Pedders parts can be done at home and done correctly. Items that

I have already scheduled for the DIYer manuals are:
1. Pedders fornt and rear drop coils
2. Pedders front radius rod snubbers
3. Pedders front radius rod bushing
4. Pedders Rear subframe insert bushings
5. Pedders differential mount bushings
6. Pedders Sway bar and HD endlinks

I will be posting soon in my local area to do a Camaro Justice Package with Remote Reservoir Coil Overs. Here is the system:

164086 Camaro eXtreme Xa Multi Adjustable Coilover Kit By Pedders with 8kg/mm Front and 10kg/mm Rear Coil Rates with remote high pressure reserviors and dual damping adjustability. Not available yet. The price of this kit has not been 100% determined. Price indicated is an initial estimate. The dampers have 52mm valves as compaired to the 46mm Xas.

CAMAROSOLUTIONC 27MM FR. & 32MM REAR SWAY BAR WITH 4 ADJUSTABLE ENDLINKS Larger HD end links require enlarging mounting holes. Special Note: The 32mm sway bar is a Track ready bar and should only be installed on vehicles driven by SCCA or NASA qualified drivers. This bar may be set up to induce excessive oversteer!
EP1167HD REAR ZETA HD DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING KIT
EP1201HD CAMARO VERY HD REAR SUB-FRAMEBUSHING REPLACEMENT
EP2112 Zeta Steering Rack Bush
EP6577 CAMARO Front Radius Rod Bushing
EP7264 Zeta rear lower control arm inner
EP7322 Camaro Only Rear Control arm - Upper inner rear.
EP7323 Zeta Camaro Rear Toe, and trailing arm links in and out.
PDUSACAM2800 SS CAMARO BRAKE HOSE KIT (4 lines)
PDUSACAMFULL CAMARO REAR EXTENDED CAMBER, TOE ADJUSTERS, FRONT CASTER ECCENTRICS & CAMBER ADJUSTERS
This is the absolutely best ssytem on the market that is literally suitable for the weekend road racer, and I think seriously suitable for the advanced drag racer. I will do it 100% in my driveway with the exception of the custom alignment

I have already written a rather accurate step by step install manual suitable for training new dealers for a Camaro TrackII. It is in its first draft version and will be proofing it again next week.

Pedders understands the value of our parts and how hard it is to make the money to buy our parts. We have about 40% or so customers doing the work themselves and lot of Pedders customers are having components installed by shops that are not Pedders dealers. Writing the manuals like I am, will save you money, and assure a high quality, best practices installation will be done. But the manuals I write are extremely specific, giving bolts sizes, latest GM torque values, tons of pictures, and written in a very simplistic way. For example the Camaro TrackII manual will be around 55 pages. Not that it is so complicated, but because it is so specific, There are probably 200 photos in there as well.

thanks
mike
dms
thanks
mike
dms
Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Hey - the more money I can save doing it myself leaves me more money to buy parts I'll have to keep tabs on the manuals you guys are putting out
Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Hey - the more money I can save doing it myself leaves me more money to buy parts I'll have to keep tabs on the manuals you guys are putting out
Of coarse there is a surcharge when used for other manufacturers. LOL

mike
dms
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Of coarse there is a surcharge when used for other manufacturers. LOL

mike
dms
I wouldn't blame you there
Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Question about the EP1200 PEDDERS SUBFRAME INSERTS. Do these move the rear cradle down towards the ground effectively raising the rear of the car a bit ?? How much shiffer is this arrangement over stock ?? Any noise transmitted into the cabin ??
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote