Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
This is the reason I have my T/A. I can understand GM not warranting any car that's been tuned. Just like Samsung wont warranty a laptop that's been opened. Or a phone that's been rooted.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
This is the reason I have my T/A. I can understand GM not warranting any car that's been tuned. Just like Samsung wont warranty a laptop that's been opened. Or a phone that's been rooted.
That is an excellent comparison.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I have a tune and my rear end was replaced under warranty.

I have a tune, headers, intake, tb, HF cats, and my rear end clunking noise could not be fixed by changing the fluid/friction modifier.

When the dealer decided they wanted to open up the rear end, they had to send the file to GM containing a snapshot or w/e of ecu. GM gave them the go ahead, even with my tune, and they replaced the ENTIRE rear end. Total would have been $1,750 and I got a new rear end with the rest of the car at 25k miles.

So dont give up hope if you think your mods or tune actually didnt cause the damage.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
What if the tune just does speed corrections, and removes the governor?
It wouldn't matter, to them its 1's and 0's. They aren't going to start dissecting what the tune did, just that it was done. It's not open for interpretation from gm's point of view.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Nice write up chase. This is exactly why I'm looking at the kooks lt's with green cats and no tune. I don't mind voiding my exhaust warranty, but don't want to void entire powertrain for the time being.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I have a tune and my rear end was replaced under warranty.

I have a tune, headers, intake, tb, HF cats, and my rear end clunking noise could not be fixed by changing the fluid/friction modifier.

When the dealer decided they wanted to open up the rear end, they had to send the file to GM containing a snapshot or w/e of ecu. GM gave them the go ahead, even with my tune, and they replaced the ENTIRE rear end. Total would have been $1,750 and I got a new rear end with the rest of the car at 25k miles.

So dont give up hope if you think your mods or tune actually didnt cause the damage.
Absolutely. Like I said in the opening post the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) still applies. They can not deny a warranty repair unless the issue in question is the direct result of the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Nice write up chase. This is exactly why I'm looking at the kooks lt's with green cats and no tune. I don't mind voiding my exhaust warranty, but don't want to void entire powertrain for the time being.
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
Has anyone looked into buying an additional ECM and tuning it is a good work around? Id think that switching that out would work.

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
honor first
MURICA!

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
Has anyone looked into buying an additional ECM and tuning it is a good work around? Id think that switching that out would work.
would be interested in this as well
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySinning View Post
Doesn't work.

There are too many variables that are synced between the ECM, BCM, and PCM. Once GM pulls the ECM they'll see none of the variables line up.

That and you'll be hard pressed finding a dealer that'll program a second ECM to your VIN
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Doesn't work.

There are too many variables that are synced between the ECM, BCM, and PCM. Once GM pulls the ECM they'll see none of the variables line up.

That and you'll be hard pressed finding a dealer that'll program a second ECM to your VIN
My dealer actually told me to do this. Mod friendly. They told me they would make sure all the numbers matched if I proceeded with a dyno tune and long tube headers for my car. The dealership stated they have done this on all the camaros in their performance department. If anything goes wrong with the car they will swap the computer with the stock one thats been untouched.
Mcarltonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
My dealer actually told me to do this. Mod friendly. They told me they would make sure all the numbers matched if I proceeded with a dyno tune and long tube headers for my car. The dealership stated they have done this on all the camaros in their performance department. If anything goes wrong with the car they will swap the computer with the stock one thats been untouched.
I'm willing to bet that GM won't care what they "told" you. They'll still void your powertrain warranty.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
That dealer is committing fraud. Good luck with that.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
That dealer is committing fraud. Good luck with that.
I would be leery of doing it even if the dealer told you to and that they would help. If push came to shove I doubt they would admit involvement. Sometime you just have to pay to play.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've thought about a spare ECU/PCM whatever you call it.

But then there is OnStar...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Tags
tune, void warranty, warranty