Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
I was just looking at this again and although I would change that gasket anyways, it really doesnt look like it would leak oil to the outside of the engine. If the plate is the issue you would have seen oil puddling on the plate, and there is no way that gasket would cause that.
Just for a heads up, again I dont know if it effects your blowers, but edelbrock just came out with an improved tensioner for my kit, and sent me one at no cost to upgrade. They are a good company that way. Might be worth to ask since you are calling anyways.

Will be calling them Monday as well. Thanks for your help everyone.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Tom D

OK, I'm raising the BS flag on GM. If you have been following this thread you now know that GM doesn't sell the Valley Plate gasket for the L99 without the whole AFM solenoid package. Well, I went ahead and bought a LS3 gasket just to see what I could do with it. And what do I discover but the LS3 gasket is really an L99 with the center part cut out. So they won't sell an L99 gasket alone but will cut out the center to sell it as a LS3 one. This is BS if ever I seen it. And here are the pics to prove it.

First one is the new LS3 gasket out of the bag. You can see the jagged edge bottom right
Name:  IMG_0158.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  197.4 KB

This is a little closer look and you can see the rough spots where center was attached.
Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  100.0 KB

Then real close.

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  127.6 KB

Come on GM. Really?
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Tom D

Ok, The story continues. Got a hold of Edelbrock today and they are sending a new valley plate over night. Great Company for sure. He had to check serial number so they are aware of the batch that got the bad ones. Also, for the gasket, I am going to try and cut out the center of the old one and palce it in the center of the new LS3 one. Just will line it up with the cut marks GM put on it when cutting the center out. The rip is on the outside so should take care of it. Also, trying to figure out a way to plug the AFM oil riser holes. Don't need them anymore so might as well plug them. Will update as I progress. Should be soon.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Ok, The story continues. Got a hold of Edelbrock today and they are sending a new valley plate over night. Great Company for sure. He had to check serial number so they are aware of the batch that got the bad ones. Also, for the gasket, I am going to try and cut out the center of the old one and palce it in the center of the new LS3 one. Just will line it up with the cut marks GM put on it when cutting the center out. The rip is on the outside so should take care of it. Also, trying to figure out a way to plug the AFM oil riser holes. Don't need them anymore so might as well plug them. Will update as I progress. Should be soon.
Glad your getting the plate. Would have been a bummer to change the gasket and still be leaking. Good luck.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Same thing happened with a batch of Maggie Valley Plates.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
Tom D

OK, got the new valley plate in. Completely redesigned and should take care of any oil issues that is for sure. Edelbrock actually CNC the shape of the gasket into the valley plate to put pressure where it is needed. Didn't get pics before putting it on but I think you get it. Should be all back together in the morning and will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks all for your help.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
Sweet Deal.....Glad your gonna be up and running again
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
CoyoteRiverRacing

Drives: 2010 Pace Car
Tom D, I'm about to install my E-Force so this is a great thread for me.

Sometimes things are not always what they seem in manufacturing. The gaskets may start as L99 gaskets but become LS3 gaskets when failures in the center are revealed.

I'm not saying that is what this supplier is doing or did.......
CoyoteRiverRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteRiverRacing View Post
Tom D, I'm about to install my E-Force so this is a great thread for me.

Sometimes things are not always what they seem in manufacturing. The gaskets may start as L99 gaskets but become LS3 gaskets when failures in the center are revealed.

I'm not saying that is what this supplier is doing or did.......

Yeah I understand that but parts guys can't get a hold of the L99 gasket without having to buy the whole AFM assembly. 4 dealerships and a couple auto parts stores could not get the L99 gasket. Thanks for your insight though.

Make sure you have the new valley plate from Edelbrock. You can tell because they CNC'd the shape of the L99 gasket into the bottom of the plate. Other than that you will love the FI feeling. Good Luck with the install

Last edited by Tom D; 05-22-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Tom D

Ok car is all back together and no leaks that I can see. Even though many folks have different opinions about Granatelli, I have to thank him very much. He helped with the diagnosis, then did all the work for nothing. Even tried to pay him for his time and he wouldn't take my money. He let me help as much as I could which made me feel part of the whole process. He even found a part that was broken and glued back together by the original installer (won't mention name) and bought and replaced it. Said it was only a matter of time before the glue would not hold. What was broke was one of the barbs on the EVAP Solenoid Sensor. Also like to thank Edelbrock for there fast and great service. They stood up and took ownership of the whole thing. Then of course all of you that have PM'd me and put your thoughts down in this thread. Great guys all of you. Owe you all a beer.

Oh and realcanuk, thanks for sharing that thread. Would not have even thought that was possible. You got me going in the right direction and asking the right questions.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
slowfofo

Drives: slow
Quote:
Ok car is all back together and no leaks that I can see. Even though many folks have different opinions about Granatelli, I have to thank him very much. He helped with the diagnosis, then did all the work for nothing. Even tried to pay him for his time and he wouldn't take my money. He let me help as much as I could which made me feel part of the whole process. He even found a part that was broken and glued back together by the original installer (won't mention name) and bought and replaced it. Said it was only a matter of time before the glue would not hold. What was broke was one of the barbs on the EVAP Solenoid Sensor. Also like to thank Edelbrock for there fast and great service. They stood up and took ownership of the whole thing. Then of course all of you that have PM'd me and put your thoughts down in this thread. Great guys all of you. Owe you all a beer.
Great to hear. I saw your car on the GMS facebook and was thinking of an Edelbrock for my car as well. I assume they no longer ship the kits with the old valley plate design. Good to see the guys at both Granatelli and Edelbrock stood behind there work.
slowfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:

Oh and realcanuk, thanks for sharing that thread. Would not have even thought that was possible. You got me going in the right direction and asking the right questions.

Glad to help and that you got it all squared away...

Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I was thinking of dropping an Eforce on my L99 Camaro.

Any other issues?

Did you do headers?

Did you keep the lifters or do the LS3 conversion?

Im assuming the reason they don't warranty your vehicle if you installed an intake and headers its because their tune doesn't allow for that. I can fix that lol

Ive done several L99 SLP packages and they came to me because the hand held canned tune doesn't turn off the AFM or do much for the tranny tune

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
Nope no other issues
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote