Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #15
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Best thing about doing a custom tune is you can turn off the afm as well as greatly increase the performance and not have to buy a range device to do this.
The custom tune and a CAI...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Hey Sir

I would suggest a sct x4 programmer and a custom tune, we offer special deals for forum members with free life time tune updates sir, and this will leave you still alot of money left over from your budget, and doing this you can return to stock at anytime without the dealer knowing you have ever tuned the car, feel free to pm me sir and i will help in any way i can

Thanks Dynosteve
Return to stock without dealer ever knowing you tuned the car?
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
+1 for the Range AFM blocker. Go to Autoanything.com I ordered mine last week $30 off sale plus free shipping. I got it 4 days later and Hot damn - no AFM is awesome. Plus I have heard that keeping AFM can ruin an engine due to burning oil over the life of the car - around 100k miles. Getting rid of AFM as soon as possible should help increase the life of your car.
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #18
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
I'm still wondering why people want to tune their car for more performance and still try to keep the warranty? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #19
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Be aware that a trans tune will put more stress on the driveline components. Everything from the crankshaft to the wheel bearings.

When Chevy tuned the car they not only looked at performance, but longevity vs. cost. How many hours of super-computer time did Chevy spend to determine the trade-off between more expensive parts and average life expectancy? So much that they bought and maintain their own super-computer. And enough that they met a certain price-point, that, although more expensive than a Malibu, much less expensive than a Ferrari.

Sure, everyone who sells tunes will tell you it will last longer, because there is less slippage, but that is false. A slam into second can destroy parts other than the bands and clutches.

To me, it's just a cost. To you...

Which is what led me to buy manuals. Every time I leave the line, every shift I make, I control the slippage and the throttle. Here, now, real time, real circumstances.
You make the choice, not some computer imagining.

I have a lifetime of experience destroying tools.
And, yes, your car is a tool.

Sometimes it is worth it, other times, not so much.
Daily driver, leave it alone. Part-time fun machine, go for it.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #20
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Well said Fred. To the OP - my car was new in 2015 so here are my performance mod plans for the next 60 months until warranty is up (these shouldn't void warranty)

AFM range device - to tune out AFM
Catch can (pick your brand)
Cold Air Intake
Catback exhaust - can either reuse stock cats or purchase aftermarket highflow cats.
Shorty headers - don't require tune and as such shouldn't void warranty.
And apparently front and rear sway bars (I just found out about this too)

I would avoid anything extreme until warranty is up (cams, turbo/or super charger, tune, LT headers, engine internals etc)

Just my 2cents
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
Mudgett

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
I'm still wondering why people want to tune their car for more performance and still try to keep the warranty? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Awwwww come on....I cant? Lol. The one guy in a previous post says his tunes stay hidden....can anyone attest to using this guys mods? Idk if true or not, Where there is a will, there is a way (or so I am told).
Mudgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #22
Mudgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Be aware that a trans tune will put more stress on the driveline components. Everything from the crankshaft to the wheel bearings.

When Chevy tuned the car they not only looked at performance, but longevity vs. cost. How many hours of super-computer time did Chevy spend to determine the trade-off between more expensive parts and average life expectancy? So much that they bought and maintain their own super-computer. And enough that they met a certain price-point, that, although more expensive than a Malibu, much less expensive than a Ferrari.

Sure, everyone who sells tunes will tell you it will last longer, because there is less slippage, but that is false. A slam into second can destroy parts other than the bands and clutches.

To me, it's just a cost. To you...

Which is what led me to buy manuals. Every time I leave the line, every shift I make, I control the slippage and the throttle. Here, now, real time, real circumstances.
You make the choice, not some computer imagining.

I have a lifetime of experience destroying tools.
And, yes, your car is a tool.

Sometimes it is worth it, other times, not so much.
Daily driver, leave it alone. Part-time fun machine, go for it.
Definitely appreciate the input. I would have preferred manual by far, but the only way I could get the wife to agree was to go auto. Marriage is a compromise, no doubt. She does have a valid point of : If there is an emergency, she needs to be able to drive it. Well, she can drive a stick (barely) but I don't believe she can handle 426 ponies when she can barely work the clutch. And I have been known to work hard and play harder, so in an emergency, she can drive me to the hospital, or home (drunk), or whatever the situation is. I would much rather have the L99 than to not have a gen 5 at all. She hasn't drove it yet (nor my big block Nova), nor will she ever, unless said emergency arises.

Regarding the r&d Chevy put into the trans, im sure they spent a good chunk of change, but the shifts are so inconsistent that I cant help but to think some MINOR tweaks to the shift points and firmness could be beneficial. I not talking full on race mode, but just tighten up some of slop, because it is sloppy, and make it seem like its actually shifting, not just falling into gear. Some shifts are nice, some shifts I fear the u joints are going to come thru the floor board, and some shifts are so slow Im afraid the driveline is going to twist like a pretzel due to the delay.

As always, thanks to everyone for the input. Im more of an old school big block type guy, so all the new fangled computer stuff is new to me. I know how to operate an OBD2 diagnostic tool of course, and how to turn a wrench, I guess what im getting at is the technologically advanced sports car is still a bit foreign to me. Lots to learn still, and knowing that I need to learn is half the battle. That's why im here with all you nice folks!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #23
Mudgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
Return to stock without dealer ever knowing you tuned the car?
I am VERY curios about this myself, anyone have any experience with this program?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #24
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
Buy a zl1,no tune necessary
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #25
Mudgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
Buy a zl1,no tune necessary
That would be nice.

I could afford an SS to let sit in the garage and drive on a nice day or go spin donuts with the nephews and cousins. I couldn't say the same for a zL1. Not yet anyway! If business stays good, maybe the next will be a zL1. Maybe even a high end stingray or mid level grand sport (no doubt this caliber of car would require a standard trans, and I wouldn't want it any other way).

My daily driver is a standard Trans toyota pickup which I love. It does make me linger on the fact that I have an auto in my pony car, and my economy truck has the standard that should be in the pony. But what's done is done.

I am not completely dissatisfied with the auto, it has it good points. As said before, it also has its pitfalls too. I would love to minimize these pitfalls via program but not go overboard, keyword is minimize. Being as there are no performance mods yet, A tuner or programmer might be the way to go for me. One that controls engine, fuel, Trans, tire size change, read ob2 codes, etc.

Been talking to the dealer about a z28 cold air, shows online @ chevrolet/performance.com certain items can be installed by GM and not void warranty. That and im interested in the z28 tri-y headers. I just wanna wake her up a little. I don't need huge hp or a supercharger at the moment. Gotta be able to look forward to an UPgrade. Keep me motivated to work hard, stack $, and enjoy life. The American Dream.

Last edited by Mudgett; 03-26-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: C5: reason for editing? Me: I kno my rights,I dont have to answer ur ?s officer.Am I bein detained/arrested? Or free to go?