Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #127
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
okay. just watch. I'll be happy when gm finally post the times. BTW, why are they delaying the release of the times at the ring?!?! Because it was slower?

Look at the best times at the ring on wikipedia. Look at the cars before and after the ZL1. The ZL1 doesn't belong there, it is too heavy, the heaviest by a few hundred lbs. The reason the Zl1 did so well, is the Gen 3 mag ride suspension. all those $100k to $300k cars have Excellent suspension, just like the camaro Z28, but the Z28 is much heavier and weaker with only 2wd. Sooo, no mag ride, means slower ring time. Well, maybe it might be the same as it's big brother ZL1. But, again, give the ZL those tires and watch the Z28 lose. I can't wait for the magazine comparisons...
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 04-19-2013 at 01:16 AM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #128
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
okay. just watch. I'll be happy when gm finally post the times. BTW, why are they delaying the release of the times at the ring?!?! Because it was slower?

Look at the best times at the ring on wikipedia. Look at the cars before and after the ZL1. The ZL1 doesn't belong there, it is too heavy, the heaviest by a few hundred lbs. The reason the Zl1 did so well, is the Gen 3 mag ride suspension. all those $100k to $300k cars have Excellent suspension, just like the camaro Z28, but the Z28 is much heavier and weaker with only 2wd. Sooo, no mag ride, means slower ring time. Well, maybe it might be the same as it's big brother ZL1. But, again, give the ZL those tires and watch the Z28 lose. I can't wait for the magazine comparisons...
GM built the car to compete with what you're talking about (100-300k supercars) which is basically euro cars. Had they wanted to obliterate the competition, it'd be impossible with a 5th gen. That's why they have the Vette. Thats GMs REAL track monster unless your competition is ford or dodge.

The Z/28 wouldn't lose against a 300lb difference on the track even if the ZL-1 had 305s. It was built to be dominant and tires alone will not make up the 3 seconds on the track tested at. 3 seconds is a loooooong time when you're talking track time.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #129
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
Its exactly what I wanted.

Let me propose this to you though man.

If GM said, we cut the sound deadening, removed the carpet, got rid of the speakers and stereo, and the AC to save 300 lbs to make this Z/28.

Then said, Or we could find other areas to save the weight. And still make this car which would you pick?

Does it have to save weight by only pulling out the stereo or AC? Is there disappointment in it not having crank up windows?

You kill the carbon ceramics or even better make it an option. You can still put some killer suspension on it, or a better brake system. Just not one that is about a 10K cost to this car.

Now we have an all around winner.

Its an opinion man.
Well I raised your manual windows up on previous threads and in comparison, it'd probably be ideal to keep it electric. Manual is a little heavier probably. But do you honestly think GMs going to go backwards with technology? Manual transmissions are on their way out the door. Paddle shifting will replace it.

As for as losing items and adding items to make this car. GM wanted this to be a competitive track car. The brakes HAD to be installed on something that weighs this much in order to compete and perhaps beat some of those super cars.

If GM built a 5th gen and stripped it to bare bones with the minimum they could get away with and added an LS7 and charged $45k with an upgraded suspension, they could call it the 2014 camaro fairy and I'd still buy it. I don't road race or track at ALL. Though its nice the car handles roads awesome. Here in Louisiana, the roads would trash the car. I just want GM to build an low 11 second camaro WITH an LS7 naturally aspirated at $45-50k. I bet MANY would be sold.

It's a VERY unfortunate thing they can't add options for us such as engine, suspension and deletes.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #130

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Good to hear from a ZL1 fan....

....As this Z/28 is touted as "3 seconds faster" at "one" track, I say it's "Game on!"....I hope the ZL1 gets some wins...Nothing but love for S/C muscle, and all the development that went into that car...

Depending on a lot of things unknown about the Z/28, if anyone is on the fence about which one to buy, I think it's way too early to "write-off" the ZL1 as old news...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #131
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
You seem to be conveniently ignoring my question. Where does it say in the SCCA rule book that the Z/28 will not be allowed to run in ANY class?
It doesn't, pure and simple. Mark Stielow isn't a clueless idiot; he knew that the original Z/28 was built to qualify for the SCCA's rules in the Trans Am. That's probably largely the reason why they didn't name the ZL1 the Z/28 because they knew the ZL1's magnetic suspension would keep it out of the normal racing classes. Stielow's team knew exactly what they were doing when they built this car and I don't for a minute believe it's only intended for HPDE weekend drivers. There's no reason to build a car specifically for that; the 1LE fits that need perfectly and is quite affordable for the weekend racer.

Just like the current 5th gen is being run in pro series like the Grand Am I fully expect to see Z/28's running in pro series too. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rebirth of the Trans Am or something simliar by the auto manufacturers. A new series with Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, etc. would get a lot of visibility and do exactly what it did back then; sell cars. People wanted the street versions of the cars they saw in the races on the tracks. Nascar has completely ruined itself for that kind of inspiration. A true manufacturers series would be great. Great for the fans, great for the sport, great for the marketing departments of the manufacturers, great for the dealerships selling the street versions.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #132
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good to hear from a ZL1 fan....

....As this Z/28 is touted as "3 seconds faster" at "one" track, I say it's "Game on!"....I hope the ZL1 gets some wins...Nothing but love for S/C muscle, and all the development that went into that car...

Depending on a lot of things unknown about the Z/28, if anyone is on the fence about which one to buy, I think it's way too early to "write-off" the ZL1 as old news...
The ZL-1 is nothing to write off about. It's a strip/track comfy car. 4100lbs and its damn good at the track. But a Z/28 will own it on every track. Not a drag strip though. Now, take that ZL-1 and start stripping shit out of it to get it to 3800? It'll beat the Z/28 no prob.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #133
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
...If GM built a 5th gen and stripped it to bare bones with the minimum they could get away with and added an LS7 and charged $45k with an upgraded suspension, they could call it the 2014 camaro fairy and I'd still buy it. I don't road race or track at ALL. Though its nice the car handles roads awesome. Here in Louisiana, the roads would trash the car. I just want GM to build an low 11 second camaro WITH an LS7 naturally aspirated at $45-50k. I bet MANY would be sold.

It's a VERY unfortunate thing they can't add options for us such as engine, suspension and deletes.
I see this kind of "wish" posted again and again. You can easily add another 80 hp to an LS3 for a LOT less money than an LS7 and get exactly the same power. So why do people want to spend the extra money for an LS7? Is it just the glamour of having an LS7 in the car that people want?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #134
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I see this kind of "wish" posted again and again. You can easily add another 80 hp to an LS3 for a LOT less money than an LS7 and get exactly the same power. So why do people want to spend the extra money for an LS7? Is it just the glamour of having an LS7 in the car that people want?
It's a race engine with 427.8 c.i. I concur with what you're saying but it's not a factory install. That's the problem. Instead of spending money to replace an engine and then either having to sell your ls3 or allow it to collect dust, you wouldn't have to worry about all the conversions ect. A factory warrantied ls7 option would not be a bad thing and its not like everyone would jump on it to get one. Many would question why would you want that when you have an ls3? I guess it goes with the same principle as a person choosing an SS over a v6 or modding the shit out of an SS that never sees a race. Though I'd race mine if it was an ls7

Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #135
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
I assume you guys are referring to a standard Z06. Correct? As I'm sure you know, the Z07 equipped Z06 comes with excellent tires too....Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. It also has the CC brakes,along with all the Aero pieces of the ZR1. With equal drivers it will be a good race for the standard car,but no match for a Z06/Z07.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #136
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
GM built the car to compete with what you're talking about (100-300k supercars) which is basically euro cars. Had they wanted to obliterate the competition, it'd be impossible with a 5th gen. That's why they have the Vette. Thats GMs REAL track monster unless your competition is ford or dodge.

The Z/28 wouldn't lose against a 300lb difference on the track even if the ZL-1 had 305s. It was built to be dominant and tires alone will not make up the 3 seconds on the track tested at. 3 seconds is a loooooong time when you're talking track time.
My last car, 2009 m3 dct . Only 414 HP. Puts down the same numbers(1/4 mile, 0 to 60 and top speed) as the zl1. It Weighed only 3600 lbs. It Should have creamed the zl1 at the ring right?!? Not even close. Having owned the car, I would have thought the m3 would be faster there....dct, lighter, impecable brakes, extremely great handling car. I have been trying to figure out why the zl1 was so much faster at the ring. Its not a better chassis, it can't just be the HP. It must be the mag ride and the torque. I have put the ls7 z06 , the m3, and the zl1 through repeated hairpins hard and fast. So many shifts and tight turns that my brain was mush at turn 30 or 40 in a few minutes, the m3 turned easier and more predictably. I think that to succeed at the ring, you need toque and mag ride. The 500 lbs difference didn't help the m3 at the ring and the 300lb diff won't do miracles for the z28. I believe that the ZL1 was originally intended to be the Z28 and gm got it right the first time. It was given the muscle and graceful suspension to do its intended track king job. They should have just given the zl1 carbon ceramic brakes and the new wheels and tires , then called that the new z28. That would be a scary car. This new z is kind of like a wanna be z06 that is too fat on the scale. That ls7 was made for a vette, and belongs in a vette. If i were buying a track only car, i would buy the z06 again. This new z28 looks light a marketing blitz to sell extra camaros. For anyone expecting z06 ring times from a car with the same engine but carrying 800 lbs more, you either have too much faith in sticky tires or you are delusional.

Final evidence of mag ride importance at the ring, look at gm z06 times without mag ride and with mag ride. Same car same engine. Mag ride and better tires and brakes. Huge time diff. Look at zr1 times with or without the special race tires, only a 3 sec diff in lap time. I believe mag ride will keep the ZL1 king at the ring.

Oh, as far the the tires alone making a difference, it will make a huge diff! Ask any stock zl1 owner, we always, always have traction issues. Given stickier tires, the ZL1 could put its power down sooner and we wouldn't have to moderate throttle in second and third. I have driven a 2012ss , they chirp here and there but you guys have no idea how much more potential a Zl has in just tires.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #137
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I assume you guys are referring to a standard Z06. Correct? As I'm sure you know, the Z07 equipped Z06 comes with excellent tires too....Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. It also has the CC brakes,along with all the Aero pieces of the ZR1. With equal drivers it will be a good race for the standard car,but no match for a Z06/Z07.

First, I say no contest on Z06 vs Z28. Second, just wanna point out, Z07 z06 had mag ride, ei. Super car killer suspension.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #138
Wizard1183

Quote:
My last car, 2009 m3 dct . Only 414 HP. Puts down the same numbers(1/4 mile, 0 to 60 and top speed) as the zl1. It Weighed only 3600 lbs. It Should have creamed the zl1 at the ring right?!? Not even close. Having owned the car, I would have thought the m3 would be faster there....dct, lighter, impecable brakes, extremely great handling car. I have been trying to figure out why the zl1 was so much faster at the ring. Its not a better chassis, it can't just be the HP. It must be the mag ride and the torque. I have put the ls7 z06 , the m3, and the zl1 through repeated hairpins hard and fast. So many shifts and tight turns that my brain was mush at turn 30 or 40 in a few minutes, the m3 turned easier and more predictably. I think that to succeed at the ring, you need toque and mag ride. The 500 lbs difference didn't help the m3 at the ring and the 300lb diff won't do miracles for the z28. I believe that the ZL1 was originally intended to be the Z28 and gm got it right the first time. It was given the muscle and graceful suspension to do its intended track king job. They should have just given the zl1 carbon ceramic brakes and the new wheels and tires , then called that the new z28. That would be a scary car. This new z is kind of like a wanna be z06 that is too fat on the scale. That ls7 was made for a vette, and belongs in a vette. If i were buying a track only car, i would buy the z06 again. This new z28 looks light a marketing blitz to sell extra camaros. For anyone expecting z06 ring times from a car with the same engine but carrying 800 lbs more, you either have too much faith in sticky tires or you are delusional.

Final evidence of mag ride importance at the ring, look at gm z06 times without mag ride and with mag ride. Same car same engine. Mag ride and better tires and brakes. Huge time diff. Look at zr1 times with or without the special race tires, only a 3 sec diff in lap time. I believe mag ride will keep the ZL1 king at the ring.

Oh, as far the the tires alone making a difference, it will make a huge diff! Ask any stock zl1 owner, we always, always have traction issues. Given stickier tires, the ZL1 could put its power down sooner and we wouldn't have to moderate throttle in second and third. I have driven a 2012ss , they chirp here and there but you guys have no idea how much more potential a Zl has in just tires.
Hey bud, can't disagree with you there. Very interesting point you made about the ZL-1 being a Z/28. It should've been. But to make it seem interesting, they stripped things from an SS rather than ZL-1. The ZL-1 originally was produced for the NHRA. A strip. It had a 427 in it. It SHOULD'VE had the LS7 in it this go around. GM really screwed it up. 2014 Z/28 should've had the LSA and mag ride with the missing options like AC and radio. The 2012 ZL-1 should've had the LS7 NA with a slightly upgraded suspension in an SS version.

They're basically profiting off the names. I'm not discounting what they've done with the 2, but a thorough investigation shows they're off on building the 2. The ZL-1 should've competed with the GT500 at the strip. Period. Instead they go around it with beating it on a track. So we have 2 track camaros and no camaro that competes on the strip? Makes no sense.

GM you're listening? Build a stripped street legal drag strip racer with an LS7!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #139
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
honestly that was the car i was holding out for. Got to drive a friend's Z06 and i have wanted the LS7 in a camaro ever since.

I think the big thing with adding a cam/tune to make 500hp - warranty.

People don't want to piss away a warranty just to have 500hp they want them both.

Now hearing how much the Z/28 may go for - you could buy the LSX 454 long block and put it in a 1LE and have a faster (straight line) car
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #140
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Hey bud, can't disagree with you there. Very interesting point you made about the ZL-1 being a Z/28. It should've been. But to make it seem interesting, they stripped things from an SS rather than ZL-1. The ZL-1 originally was produced for the NHRA. A strip. It had a 427 in it. It SHOULD'VE had the LS7 in it this go around. GM really screwed it up. 2014 Z/28 should've had the LSA and mag ride with the missing options like AC and radio. The 2012 ZL-1 should've had the LS7 NA with a slightly upgraded suspension in an SS version.

They're basically profiting off the names. I'm not discounting what they've done with the 2, but a thorough investigation shows they're off on building the 2. The ZL-1 should've competed with the GT500 at the strip. Period. Instead they go around it with beating it on a track. So we have 2 track camaros and no camaro that competes on the strip? Makes no sense.

GM you're listening? Build a stripped street legal drag strip racer with an LS7!
glad to know im not the only one who thinks GM screwed up the names.

Growing up and even in my early 20s the Z28 was nothing more than a V8 camaro.
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote