Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What catch can?
FX 24 34.78%
Elite 14 20.29%
Moroso 20 28.99%
Other 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Isn't the T-fitting the same thing as the 3/8" bung?
yes.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I would like to see a poll that compared what was caught in the can from oil change to oil change so we have something "scientific" to determine which is actually better at performing what they are meant to do. That would be the can I would prefer.

That aside I like the way the Morroco looks from a styling point. Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the tubes plug in so far from each other rather than right next to each other.
I think there are to many variables to get a accurate reading because of driving styles, miles on the car, miles between oil changes, mods, even type of oil could change how much you collect. Just as each can is slightly different, each engine is slightly different, each persons driving style is different.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
First an FX, now a Morroco, man, I had no idea there were so many different makes.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
actually, here's the install video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N9Amd2aPqE0

at 6:30, that little 90 is what you would attach your catch can to. If you don't you have to put the breather on that you see him do later on in the video.
I actually installed mine by that video. If I use the 90 and not the T fitting, which isn't listed on the parts list, then I can't hook the breather back up. I tried to put the 3/8 hose from the dual valve can to the fitting and I couldn't get it to work. I had some 7/16 line and was able to fit it on the end of the "T" fitting, but it was so sloppy on the can that I had to use a hose clamp. Not very clean looking. The hose is barely on the fitting and I'm afraid that it will come off at the worst time possible.

I just measured the 90 and it's ID is 3/8" the OD is 1/2". The hose that they supply for the breather is 1/2".

That is my dilemma. I must just be dumber than dirt cause I can't find anyone else that has had this problem. The valve on the can is 3/8" OD and the fitting/ bung is 1/2" OD.

I've been turning a wrench since the 80's and I would just like it to fit properly and have it look clean. I can make it work but I don't like that it doesn't look clean.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
BCombs79

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
First an FX, now a Morroco, man, I had no idea there were so many different makes.
I'd edit the poll if I could... I knew it was RX too...
BCombs79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I actually installed mine by that video. If I use the 90 and not the T fitting, which isn't listed on the parts list, then I can't hook the breather back up. I tried to put the 3/8 hose from the dual valve can to the fitting and I couldn't get it to work. I had some 7/16 line and was able to fit it on the end of the "T" fitting, but it was so sloppy on the can that I had to use a hose clamp. Not very clean looking. The hose is barely on the fitting and I'm afraid that it will come off at the worst time possible.

I just measured the 90 and it's ID is 3/8" the OD is 1/2". The hose that they supply for the breather is 1/2".

That is my dilemma. I must just be dumber than dirt cause I can't find anyone else that has had this problem. The valve on the can is 3/8" OD and the fitting/ bung is 1/2" OD.

I've been turning a wrench since the 80's and I would just like it to fit properly and have it look clean. I can make it work but I don't like that it doesn't look clean.
If you're hooking the CAI up to the Catch can (you need to have three ports on the top of your can) then you just run it straight to the 90 degree. Doing this replaces the breather as you are giving it a source of clean air.

At least that's my interpretation of it. If you have the RX can you could always call them or just call Roto-Fab (don't PM) and walk them through what you're trying to do.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCombs79 View Post
I'd edit the poll if I could... I knew it was RX too...
just messing, heck, I thought it was a good idea to post a poll on cans. Seems to be a big topic around here.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #36
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Any links to the "FX" can? I'm curious to see it in action. lol
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Nothing but the best, RX of course.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post

http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/2860...ductId=1571522 This fitting gives it a clean look 1/2 to 3/8 hose coupler
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #39
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Where are you guys picking up the moroso?
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Where are you guys picking up the moroso?
http://www.jreperformanceparts.com/2...catch-can.html

the bracket that it comes with is specific to the ZL1. I'm not sure if it will work with an SS or V6 model(s).
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Thanks for everyones help with the fitting. It's greatly appreciated. I'll end up going with the reducer, that you guys recommend. I feel really stupid even asking about this. Especially since no one else has come up with the same problem. I was trying to find a "T" fitting with the correct sizes thinking that the reducer wouldn't look clean but after seeing that pic of a reducer installed I agree it does look clean.

Was able to find the fitting at Advance Auto for 2.99

Last edited by Hercules; 07-01-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: adding info
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #42
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
Elite
580/556 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote