Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
Performance Questions

Hello,

So I am pretty content with how my car is cosmetically and now Im switching gears (no pun intended) to performance and shes at 52k miles. My primary goal right now would be to get the SW retro 3in catback and SW Headers, Rotofab intake, and of course a tune. Later next summer Im going to look into getting it cammed. With that being said my goal is to get the car close to 500hp. I haven't ruled out boosting.. which I know would get me over that alone.

What is the best order to do these upgrades?

Any other Recommendations?
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I don't think the order is really that important, the end game will be the same. That setup will get you close, especially if you go with a big cam. But adding heads seems to be the general consensus if you're looking to get 500rwhp while staying NA.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Intake then headers and later when doing the cam have all the extras like the c5r, pump, dampener and done if your going to go into it and do new lifters and if you dream of boost it would be good to upgrade the heads gaskets on reinstall with new buckets for the lifters needed also along with the entire three bolt cam package......And me personally I do a break in with BR30 and dyno tune. The headers having to have you tuned would be cheaper if installed with the cam for one tune....If dyno tuning and not just doing it remote via SCT /data logging with some tuner shop to give tunes per mods.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The cam will need the first headers to breathe
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
Im really looking forward to the cam I hear thats easily one of the best ways to meet reasonable gains without boost. May just stick with doing exhaust, headers, intake tune for a while unless decent cam prices are lower than I expect.
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm sitting at the intake/headers/exhaust/tune point at the moment. I'm in the air on if I want to spend the money to do heads/cam or if I want to just say to hell with it and go to a blower or turbo setup. I can always add the heads and cam later (or just build another motor?)

Tough decisions once you've gotten all the low hanging fruit
Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Buddy of mine had an SS, he did Full exhaust (That includes Headers), Air intake, and a Comp cam and got to about 420+ rwhp.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Buddy of mine had an SS, he did Full exhaust (That includes Headers), Air intake, and a Comp cam and got to about 420+ rwhp.
That seems on the lower end of the spectrum, unless it was just the dyno he was on?
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #9
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
When doing exhaust, do headers first. Decide if you like the sound. A cat back wont give you any performance gains.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
A good free-flowing exhaust system becomes much more crucial once you are cammed!
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I don't think the order is really that important, the end game will be the same. That setup will get you close, especially if you go with a big cam. But adding heads seems to be the general consensus if you're looking to get 500rwhp while staying NA.
Agreed, order is not important. But typically, I tend to do intake first, then catback, then canned tune. Then after that is when I start getting deeper into things with stuff that needs a custom tune...like ported or aftermarket IM, LT headers, cat deletes, etc. But again, there is really no order that necessarily has to be done.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSull16 View Post
Hello,

So I am pretty content with how my car is cosmetically and now Im switching gears (no pun intended) to performance and shes at 52k miles. My primary goal right now would be to get the SW retro 3in catback and SW Headers, Rotofab intake, and of course a tune. Later next summer Im going to look into getting it cammed. With that being said my goal is to get the car close to 500hp. I haven't ruled out boosting.. which I know would get me over that alone.

What is the best order to do these upgrades?

Any other Recommendations?
Thank you for your interest in the Roto-fab CAI. Our system is a great upgrade for performance, appearance, and sound. My first mod would either be the headers or Roto-fab intake. If you would like to see our different color combinations as they would look on your car, check out our interactive engine bay designer at www.roto-fab.com!

Interactive engine bay designer at www.roto-fab.com

Thanks again for your interest in our CAI,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Well there's a plethora of terrible advice here. I'll give you my opinion, which will sooner or later make more sense than any of the aforementioned comments / "advice".

1. Decide right now if you will boost or not (sounds like a dumb and abrupt decision, but the ability to answer this now = saving thousands of dollars).

If no boost- intake, headers/full exhaust, cam / heads.

If boost-
1. Supercharger you'll want/need headers sooner or later then cam.
2. Turbo, don't buy anything at all until you get the turbo kit, everything will be useless except fuel, then cam.

Notice how cam is always last?
Don't buy long tubes if your gonna turbo
Don't get a big NA cam if your gonna boost
Don't buy bolt on's that won't be compatible with future build.

Your welcome
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerimuscle View Post
Well there's a plethora of terrible advice here. I'll give you my opinion, which will sooner or later make more sense than any of the aforementioned comments / "advice".

1. Decide right now if you will boost or not (sounds like a dumb and abrupt decision, but the ability to answer this now = saving thousands of dollars).

If no boost- intake, headers/full exhaust, cam / heads.

If boost-
1. Supercharger you'll want/need headers sooner or later then cam.
2. Turbo, don't buy anything at all until you get the turbo kit, everything will be useless except fuel, then cam.

Notice how cam is always last?
Don't buy long tubes if your gonna turbo
Don't get a big NA cam if your gonna boost
Don't buy bolt on's that won't be compatible with future build.

Your welcome
Very well said. I agree 100%. Many of the previous posts are clueless. "Order is not important"
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote