Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Wait wait, there is cylinder deactivation in these cars? That is the ONE thing that was driving me away from the 6.4l Challenger...the Camaro ALSO shuts off cylinders so I can't use the exhaust I use on my 6.1l HEMI? I had no idea the Camaro SS de-activated cylinders like the 6.4l Hemi... that was what killed the 392 HEMI deal for me as I have to tune it just to turn MDS off...I have NO clue the Camaro was pulling that as well in the auto, let alone the weaker L99....that kills proper v-8 exhaust options that get loud

My gear ratios for the 5-speed are as follows. 1st. 3.59, 2nd, 2.19, 3rd, 1.41, 4th, 1.00, and 5th, 0.83

Does the automatic really have cylinder deactivation stock? Please SS owners chime in
Unfortunately, it does. Heck, I heard even the new Stingray has cylinder deactivation. Chevy calls it AFM. Dumb, dumb move on their part. There are a few options to get rid of it. One is a plug & play device, and the other is a tune. IMO, the auto needs a tune and better gears. After that, it's very satisfactory, although you will probably want to mod more

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Yea, you need to drive it for about a week and than the visibility will be as good as ever! Just need to get used to the car in traffic! The back seat space seems like the same size as the Camaro! The trunk space is a nice size in the Camaro , it's just the weird opening ! but I love it! The new mustang interior still not touching the 5th Gen's in my opinion! And the 15 Challenger has the charger interior but I get everything is going m
more modern!

Last edited by Q'smuscle; 05-20-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
mcbrideluo

Drives: camaro
It was an automatic and I agree with what you said about it being sluggish and slow.
mcbrideluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
SRT8 Challenger is a great looking car, but the Camaro SS gets a lot quicker with mods.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #19
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
All I can say is......GO FOR THE VERT
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
I just bought a 2014 SS..... I traded in my '06 Corvette Z51. I made the switch because I was tired of not having a back seat. My wife refused to drive the vette, and when I borrowed her car for the back seats it became a ridiculous exercise in taxi cab driving for me.

When I first brought the 2SS home, I was a little disappointed in the straight line pull. But I wrote it off as Me being used to a much lighter Vette. However..... (with out reading here first) I had ran the tank pretty dry getting on the car and driving it around trying to adjust. Went to Chevron (only gas I'll use) and put a full tank of 92 in it.

Next morning fired it up to drive in to work. WHOA!! FREAKING NIGHT AND DAY. I am not sure why the Camaro is so Sensitive to a few octane like that, but let me tell you it is. I am more than Satisfied now, and honestly its not a whole lot different than the Vette.

I added that Cross Member bar option (not sure if that is the right word) under the hood to stiffen up the ride and man...... I'm much happier with the handling. I will add that my dealer had installed a Borla Attack exhaust to this car (they do that to some of their Camaro's as added incentive) and I'm having a K&N added tomorrow.

BTW Mines an Automatic.

But as a Vette guy going to a 2ss, Very happy. Good luck on your Decision!
Cldgin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #21
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
I would go supercharged. Either modded SS, ZL1 or wait for hellcat. If you want convertible get a 2013 ZL1 there are some real good deals for new 2013's. Then you get power and convertible if you look around there are some super deals on low mileage modded SS.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
My 6.1L Challenger SRT is faster than our Camaro SS auto but the Camaro does handle a little bit better but they are very close. Our Mustang GT doesn't even come close in the handling or braking department.

Our Camaro just turned 2 years old & has been problem free which has been my experience for all my new Chevy purchases. Both the Dodge & Ford have had way too many issues within the 2 year time frame.

You do get used to the limited visibility in the Camaro, some even go into denial. The Challenger has the worst rear visibility but the best front & side.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I don't know who told you it takes 1 minute for the SS top to go down. Mine is down in about 10-15 seconds. What these guys are saying is true. many dealers put 87 octane in these cars from the factory and it retards timing and results in power loss. Trust me, you need one running on 93 and has had the fuses pulled and then you'll see what the SS can really do. An SS should pull on a 6.1L. The 6.4L is a different animal and the SS would need some mods to hang with it. Good luck with your decision. Here's mine:
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".

Last edited by DRKS1D3; 05-21-2014 at 07:21 AM.
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I don't know who told you it takes 1 minute for the SS top to go down. Mine is down in about 10-15 seconds.
Same here........the top does NOT take nowhere near a minute, mine does it within 15 seconds, and with tbe single clamp down handle......it makes it even quicker because you dont have to lean way over and clamp/unclamp the passenger side.....great for when you need quick access and you are stopped in traffic, so far I have put the top up once in traffic......it was a breeze

As for visibility? I am used to the hardtop and feel that the vert with its top up has more visibility with the absence of the post between door window and quarter window, plus my daughter has always ridden in the back and she really likes having tbe window down in the back, plus she has more of a window to look out of. With tbe top down.........there is NO visibility issues lol......I just love it
Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #25
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
I find it hilarious when people bash Dodge quality considering all the deaths attributed to GM's lack of quality control on the Cobalt and twins. I had a 2009 Cobalt SS and it was a fun little car but always broke. Power steering went out, rear brake rotors chewed up, turbo inlet recall, repeated dead battery issues, power window failure, and not to mention the ignition breaking. Had to have the car towed to the dealership 3 separate times for 3 different issues on a brand new car that i ended up selling with maybe 15k miles on it after 2 years. Oh yeah the paint went bad as well, lol! 2002 Z28 rear pinion seals replaced 3 times, sold at 38k miles after 2 years. 2004 Grand Prix Comp G, bought brand new, headlights bounced up and down from day one, transmission went out after 15k miles, sold after 2 years. 1995 Dodge Stratus used 50k miles at purchase put 80k miles on it, 0 problems and averaged over 40mpg when I sold it for $500. 2005 SRT4 zero issues sold after 3 years. 2005 Dodge Dakota, still have it power window motor went out last year, only time it has been in the shop ever. 2012 Dodge Charger zero issues took in once for recall on 8 speed auto calibration, avg 24 combined mpg. So to say Dodge quality sucks and fail to mention that GM might have a few issues themselves is a bit silly! I have owned both and can tell you I know the service manager much better at the chevy dealership than I do at the Dodge dealership. Any manufacturer can have issues but to put out the blanket statement that Dodge quality sucks just makes you look uneducated.
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #26
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulg87 View Post
Seriously? The dealers are putting 87 in a motor that requires 93?
93 is recommended by the manufacturer, not required.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #27
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Camaros are geared to slip past the gas guzzler tax. They would be faster stock if geared to lose 1-2 mpg. For the 2013 MY the Dodge gets 14mpg/17 combined vs 15/18 combined SS camaro.

You have to pay the gas guzzler tax for the Challenger, not the Camaro.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
With mods in my signature minus cam I walked 6.4 and 6.1 Challengers. Now that I have the cam it is even worse for them. Mine is an automatic and the AFM is annoying. However i tuned it out before my cam and it was a night and day difference. When I got my cam I completely got rid of the afm mechanicals.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote