Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Angry Possible First Issue..... :(

yep I may have my first issue with my new vert.....I think something is possibly wrong with the HUD.
drove a couple blocks over to the store and when I got close to my destination I noticed my HUD was not on. I stopped and shut the car off, pulled the key out, reinserted and restarted it......still no HUD :(

I proceeded to the parking lot of my destination and shut her off, waited a few seconds and restarted her, it didn't do the welcome screen but it came on then after a few seconds started to dim out. I restarted the car again and it worked just fine, once I got back out of the store I started it up and it worked just fine again and stayed workin all the way home, and once I got there I tried it a couple more times without any issues.

I am hoping this is just some onboard computer glitch, I will be keeping an eye on it for sure but I am also thinking it may need to be brought to the dealer and maybe needs a firmware update to the MyLink and car computer, just two weeks of having the car I also had an issue one time when I started the car and the MyLink wouldn't come on, when I restarted the car it came up just fine and I havent had any issues since then......wierd huh?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
My only issue in 17 months was with the MyLink radio. I've had it replaced TWICE.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Mine has done that a couple of times. Only after I have the car parked in direct bright sun for a while over 90 degrees. It has never happened that often and I could not duplicate it. YOu may want to look in the Electronic part of the forum to see if others have see.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
My only issue in 17 months was with the MyLink radio. I've had it replaced TWICE.
Happen to me too. First few weeks of ownership the my link wasn't showing the HVAC fan and wouldn't connect to bluetooth etc etc. The dealer updated the software and it's been good for 3 weeks. Now if only the dash and the stereo could be brighter. I have it on the highest setting and it's still too dim.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
homewrecker

Forgot to add HUD wasn't working too

Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
I would take it in, warranty right?

As and aside, my 2000 Pontiac GTP Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica had the HUD and it could not be turned off. I just scrolled it to the dash so I could not see it. I just turned the Camaro one off on my test drive. If mine fails, if I even notice, I will leave it broke. Not for me.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning

Last edited by Muscle Car Lover; 06-02-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
G8rh8rtampa

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Mine has done the same thing a few times. Anyone have this problem and take it in for repair and know what the issue is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G8rh8rtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Seems to be a common bug. Happened to me once, then came back on later. I've had no problems since. I'm going to live with it unless it becomes a common occurrence. I don't want the dealer taking my dashboard apart, as a few people had to have the whole HUD unit replaced.

Good luck.

Let's go Rangers!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife conVert View Post
Mine has done that a couple of times. Only after I have the car parked in direct bright sun for a while over 90 degrees. It has never happened that often and I could not duplicate it. YOu may want to look in the Electronic part of the forum to see if others have see.
105° today, I drove it earlier this morning, since then it was sitting in a carport out of the sunlight(hate when the leather seats get cooked in the sun) I will keep an eye on it and see if I can dig up more info on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
I would take it in, warranty right?

As and aside, my 2000 Pontiac GTP Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica had the HUD and it could not be turned off. I just scrolled it to the dash so I could not see it. I just turned the Camaro one off on my test drive. If mine fails, if I even notice, I will leave it broke. Not for me.
Yep warranty!, its brand new....only had it for 6 weeks now, I think it's just a little glitch, but if I have any more issues, it will definitely go and get checked out.
I however love using the HUD, got too damn used it it lol....
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
My HUD did the same thing for the first time in 8K miles. I was on a trip and it was fine for the first 5 hours. I stayed overnight at a motel, got in it the next morning and it was fine (I depend on it a lot). I stopped after about an hour for coffee, got in and it was blank; no sign-on screen, nothing, And was totally unresponsive to any of the controls. After driving for about 1/2 hour it blinked a couple of times and came back on. It was fine for the rest of the trip and all day today with a lot of start and stop driving with a lot of restarts. I will NOT take it to my dealer for an intermittent problem as it would be a wasted trip because they won't do anything if they can't duplicate the problem and if I take it in and insist they fix it they will tear the whole car apart looking for a problem. And in the process they will blame it on some aftermarket accessory that I may have added at some time. (They did that with a previous problem and completely removed the Curb Alert because "adding an aftermarket device to the electrical system will void the warranty". After I challanged them on that they said that "GM told them to do that or they (GM) would not help any further with troubleshooting advice". This is what I am up against with service problems at my dealer.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
homewrecker

It will work if you let it sit for a spell. But like another poster said, you don't want a dealer taking apart the dash. My dealer always leaves oily hand prints everywhere. Imagine if I took my car to them to take apart by dash. Fooogettabbouuutit!

Oh us, Go Kings Go!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Wow! thanks for all the input folks, I'm not gonna worry about it anymore lol
Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
chellelea
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Vert
There's a looong thread on this topic and you are definitely not the only one with the problem! :-/
I've had my car for 9 months and my HUD has done the "fade out" thing three times. No rhyme or reason to it, one time was dead of the winter and cold out so it wasn't related to heat.
Mine will come back on for a few seconds when the radio station is changed...then fades out again. Next time the car was started, problem disappeared. Can't seem to duplicate it or pinpoint anything causing it...just sounds like we got a bad batch.
I'm waiting to have them lo at several issues in one visit though. Have a rattle in the rear, bottom (sounds like something with exhaust moving) when hitting a bump/road joint just right...might as well have it all addressed at one time...and hope there's nothing more!!!

Sent from my Black DropTop 2SS 💜
chellelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
CrtRS13

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tint 2LT RS
It seems to only happen to the 13's. I've read other people had the HUD replaced, but I wonder if it still happens after being replaced. I've had it happen a couple of times. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the mylink.