Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Dealer messed up my paint....

Ok so a few weeks ago I had my car in the shop to fix the paint chips on the spoiler bulletin. They repainted the whole rear deck. Came out great...

Since then the car has been sitting in the garage collecting dust, dang illinois winters...but yesterday it was nice enough to giver her a wash and throw on some liquid glass.

I noticed after i was done wiping off the wax, that my paint on my hood felt rough. Usually after a good wax it feels smooth as glass. It definitely feels like some sort of overspray on the car. luckly its contained on the hood and front fenders as i walked around and felt the paint.

I am going to call the dealer on Monday and complain to the service manager about this because i think that is absolute horse pucky. if they think im gonna give them a good rating on they're dealer satisfaction survey when i get it in the mail, they've got another thing coming.

What can i do to fix my paint? or is it ruined permanently?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
You should contact junkman, he will know what to do for sure.
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Godon Hutchinson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Imperial Blue Metallic
Your dealers service dept. should have done like mine did and remove the trunck lid and spoiler from the car when repairing/painting it.
Godon Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Try a clay bar..
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Try a clay bar..
thought about that.

but im gonna make them fix it i shouldnt have to pay to fix their mistake.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You'll be lucky if you get the dealer to admit any kind of fault for this. They're gonna say they painted the rear, and your problem is in the front, and not along the sides or anywhere else.

Clay bar kit costs like $10, just go try that first. Most likely that'll take it off. If not, you can probably polish it off. I just don't see the dealer doing anything here for you, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
blackknight
Camaro Lover

My dad and myself have a long standing relationship with this dealer. between the two of us, weve bought 20 some vehicles from them. Ill see if they will admit any fault. and then move onto other options.

Ive never done clay bar. hard to do?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
DetailAddict

Drives: .
sounds like clay bar is your new best friend.

not hard, you can youtube and find a lot of videos on how to use it. get some good medium grade clay bar should take care of it.
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've had great luck with SEM Solve on paint overspray. Auto body supply stores often carry it. Put some on a cotton cloth and just wipe it down.

If you do take it back to the dealer, hopefully they don't just buff it out. That will just add a million swirl marks. A solvent overspray remover will often wipe overspray right off, then you just rewax.

I've had horrible luck with clay, so I avoid that at all costs. Yes, some get great results. But the last couple times I tried clay on a car, it just dragged tons of scratches into the paint. I tried clay once on rail dust, thought it looked great, until I held a shop light over the panel - millions of scratches.

http://www.semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=81
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
blackknight, just get yourself a claybar kit.....if you thought you cars finish felt sliky before.....after claying it, then a polish, then a good waxing.....you will wonder why you hadn't done it before.

OH AND BTW.....its easy to do......jsut takes a little time.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Reminds me of when I had my 2005 GTO I'd ordered new that took 5 months to get here. First time I waxed it (it was blue) I felt over spray all over the back of the trunk lid and both quarter panels and the tail lights felt rough. I was there when the car came off the car hauler so I knew the dealership didn't mess it up. Turned out when they came off the ship in California GM could fix small imperfections legally before they got to the dealership even if already sold and not have to disclose it (which they didn't). Mine had a couple of scratches on the rear fascia that they patched (you could hardly tell till looking rear close). I was afraid my dealer would mess it up so I bought some enamel reducer and it wiped right off. You just don't want to rub hard. And I made them replace the tail lights since they were plastic and I couldn't fix that. But I was still mad. Pay that much for a car and GM has already done crappy body work on it before you even get it. And don't have to tell you.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Ok. lots of good info here guys. I appreciate the help.

Russell James - Im gonna look into that stuff you suggested. Hopefully that works.

everybody else - ive been wanting to do a clay bar any ways. So i guess now is the time to do it.

Also, what waxes and polishes do you guys like?

I have been using a product called Liquid Glass http://www.shopmpt.com/liquidglass/lgpolish.html

I use small applicator pads to apply to the vehicle then let it sit for a while. then wipe off.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Went out and got the meguairs clay bar kit. clayed about half the car. did the hood twice. since that was the worst spot. Feels A LOT better. I havent put any wax. but i will after i clay the car.

I bought the meguairs wax cleaner and carnubas wax to go on after the clay....so ive got some detailing ahead of me.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm glad you got it taken care of blackknight!