Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Juniorss

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Need some convincing on a 2014 1LE

So I currently have a 2013 Grand Sport that I am bored with and I have been looking for a replacement. At first the rear of the 14 really turned me off and I didn't even look at a camaro. I test drove a 14 Mustang this past weekend and just shifting it, I felt disconnected from the car (hard to explain). It felt like the shifter was going to break in my hand. Anyways ive been looking at pictures of white 1LEs and they are growing on me. However the back end still hasn't grown on me 100%. I was looking at the pictures of the Z/28 and it looks like the diffuser is either gloss black or carbon fiber. The gloss look makes the back end look a lot better in my opinion. Has anyone on here done it yet or contemplated doing it? Also are there any replacement spoilers available yet? I really haven't gotten a good look at a 14 1LE in person but in pictures it seems like the spoiler sits up on the ends where as the middle sits flush on the trunk.

Anyways here is a pic of my GS. Black looks amazing but I will never own black again (this is about the 4th time I have made the mistake of owning black). I would most likely get a white 1LE.

Juniorss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Get the RS package and the taillights are the best of the 14's. After market is and will catch up and you can swap out the diffuser. I want a 1LE so bad just have to wait for now. Drove one at the Fest and it sold me on this package.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Drives: 2014 2SS, RS, 1LE, Heartbeat Blower
I just came out of a Corvette, and did the same as you. I test drove both a Mustang and Camaro. I immediately fell in love with the 1LE, and haven't looked back.
I ordered a 2SS, RS, 1LE from the factory so I could get exactly what I wanted.

Good luck with the decision.

Like us on Facebook and Instagram - Horsepower Therapy...... www.horsepowertherapy.org
HP_Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Keep the GS. It is lighter and quicker in a straight line stock vs stock. If I didn't have kids I would have a GS. NOW on the other hand I have run the same lap times at Grattan in my 1LE as the magazines did with the GS so it is a toss up at a road course.

I assume we always want what we don't have.

Matt
Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
I gather you don't track your car, so i will confine my comments to appearance.
White is sharp, but you'll find it really shows brake dust and tar. If you detail regularly then any color will work. IMO silver is the most forgiving color.
As for the 14 tail lights, they're different, but they will be just fine.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I guess I would want to know why you are "bored" with the GS. Is it because you have done all the mods you want to and now there's nothing left that you want to do for modding? Or are you just ready for something different for people to see you in? A little more help on what you are bored with might help determine if you will just end up "bored" with a 1LE after a year or so.
The 1LE is a great car and very fun to drive...but I know a lot of people that have vette's can sometimes have a hard time moving into a Camaro because it will feel a lot bigger and heavier than a vette would. Just hate to see someone make a move because it's something they don't have only to find out they are still disappointed in the end.

Good luck with your decision. In my opinion I don't think you could go wrong with a 1LE but then again I've never driven a GS either.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
Just do this to your 1LE and you will be very happy. Tinted tail lights and painted rear diffuser.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  125.2 KB
4B00 - 10/30/13
Arrived at dealer - 11/12/13
Arrived in my garage - 11/15/13
SLP Supercharger, SLP headers, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 1in Hotchkis Springs, SLP Cold-Air Intake, Painted Chrome Strip, Painted Rear Valance, and more to come soon.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Wileycoyote

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
I would also look at the ZL1.
Wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Juniorss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Keep the GS. It is lighter and quicker in a straight line stock vs stock. If I didn't have kids I would have a GS. NOW on the other hand I have run the same lap times at Grattan in my 1LE as the magazines did with the GS so it is a toss up at a road course.

I assume we always want what we don't have.

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I guess I would want to know why you are "bored" with the GS. Is it because you have done all the mods you want to and now there's nothing left that you want to do for modding? Or are you just ready for something different for people to see you in? A little more help on what you are bored with might help determine if you will just end up "bored" with a 1LE after a year or so.
The 1LE is a great car and very fun to drive...but I know a lot of people that have vette's can sometimes have a hard time moving into a Camaro because it will feel a lot bigger and heavier than a vette would. Just hate to see someone make a move because it's something they don't have only to find out they are still disappointed in the end.

Good luck with your decision. In my opinion I don't think you could go wrong with a 1LE but then again I've never driven a GS either.
I guess I should of explained why I am bored with it lol.. My dad has a 2007 Vette which is heads/cam/supercharged that makes 685 to the rear wheels that I drive whenever I want. So to mod my car almost seems pointless. I sorta of bought mine on impulse because the deals were stupid on them when I got mine. Its a fun car to drive but i've also had 4 04-06 GTO's, a TBSS, a G8 etc, so I am always switching it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I gather you don't track your car, so i will confine my comments to appearance.
White is sharp, but you'll find it really shows brake dust and tar. If you detail regularly then any color will work. IMO silver is the most forgiving color.
As for the 14 tail lights, they're different, but they will be just fine.
Its not so much the tail lights that bother me, I actually like the way they look. I think its the diffuser that does. The diffuser looks kind of cheap and I guess it looks like there was no thought put into it when they designed it. As for white, my daily driver Tahoe has over 100k on it and it looks like its practically brand new. Silver definitely hides the dirt better but I find very few cars to look good in silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
Just do this to your 1LE and you will be very happy. Tinted tail lights and painted rear diffuser.

Attachment 585471
I wish I could see that done on white. I would have a hard time deciding if I wanted to do it in white or black.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorss View Post
So I currently have a 2013 Grand Sport that I am bored with and I have been looking for a replacement. At first the rear of the 14 really turned me off and I didn't even look at a camaro. I test drove a 14 Mustang this past weekend and just shifting it, I felt disconnected from the car (hard to explain). It felt like the shifter was going to break in my hand. Anyways ive been looking at pictures of white 1LEs and they are growing on me. However the back end still hasn't grown on me 100%. I was looking at the pictures of the Z/28 and it looks like the diffuser is either gloss black or carbon fiber. The gloss look makes the back end look a lot better in my opinion. Has anyone on here done it yet or contemplated doing it? Also are there any replacement spoilers available yet? I really haven't gotten a good look at a 14 1LE in person but in pictures it seems like the spoiler sits up on the ends where as the middle sits flush on the trunk.

Anyways here is a pic of my GS. Black looks amazing but I will never own black again (this is about the 4th time I have made the mistake of owning black). I would most likely get a white 1LE.

On the 1LE spoiler the reason it looks that way is because the design of the trunk lid. all of them have a built in Mini Spoiler on the trunk. the 1LE spoiler hides that by sitting on the hump while the ends are actually above the sides slightly. you can see the hump from the built in spoiler in this picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-25-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added picture
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Juniorss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
On the 1LE spoiler the reason it looks that way is because the design of the trunk lid. all of them have a built in Mini Spoiler on the trunk. the 1LE spoiler hides that by sitting on the hump while the ends are actually above the sides slightly. you can see the hump from the built in spoiler in this picture.
Yea that it why it looks weird. Im surprised GM didn't do something like the picture below. Its the full length spoiler on my old mans vette. The middle goes down and contours to the shape of the bumper so there are no gaps.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorss View Post
Yea that it why it looks weird. Im surprised GM didn't do something like the picture below. Its the full length spoiler on my old mans vette. The middle goes down and contours to the shape of the bumper so there are no gaps.

I guess it may also have some aero advantages. They did do a lot of wind tunnel development on it. It may produce more downforce like that. but I am not an aerodynamic expert.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Juniorss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I guess it may also have some aero advantages. They did do a lot of wind tunnel development on it. It may produce more downforce like that. but I am not an aerodynamic expert.
That could definitely be.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I had a white GS 2012 on order and cancelled it to get the 1LE. However, the GS is going to be in my garage one day for sure, that car is amazing. A lot faster, top comes off and looks amazing as well. Its just expensive to track man and that body works likes to come off easily if you fly into the grass off the track.

Why not a C7? I love my camaro because I wanted muscle character and for some reason I just love it in a different way than the vette. However, the vette is supercar status man and if I had one in my garage I wouldnt mind it being my last car. Make sure you drive them back and fort in detail, 500 more pounds, a tad less power and a more normal seating position changes the driving experience completely.

Matt, that GS time at grattan wasn't on the optional supercar 2s like our 1LEs. With those tires on it we would get our behinds handed to us I am sure.