Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Halltech's ZL1 Carbon Fiber Ram Air Induction Tested on the CTS-V770

ZL1 ready. Pure carbon fiber; no fiberglass or filler. Even the MAF boss will be carbon fiber.

Our CTS-V770 prototype system, dynoed at exactly +20 RWHP vs. the stock intake system. +35 RWHP on the final Katech motor mods, which was 607 RWHP through an automatic.

Mustang chassis dyno:
Stock RWHP: 442 RWHP/424lbs-ft
Halltech ZL1 ram air induction (50 mph): 462 RWHP/434lbs-ft

Katech/Halltech CTS-V Project 770HP:

Automatic trans stock
14.5 PSI boost (198 kpa or 28.72 PSI absolute pressure at the MAP recorded)
Halltech Stinger-R Ram Air Induction (Carbon Fiber)
89lb/hr FAST injectors
LPE upper pulley
Lower balancer and LPE 10% underdrive pulley
Ported snout
Halltech E85 initial Tuning; Vector Motorsports Dyno tuning
Katech's Huge ZL1/CTS-V Heat Exchanger
PSI Springs
Katech titanium retainers
Stock GM ZR1 cam (Katech has better cam grinds available for more HP)

607 RWHP/547 lbs.ft

This package should be a bolt on dream for the ZL1 owner. Contact Jason Harding at Katech for more information.

Katech sponsored a GM Seminar with several of the GM engineers that helped develop the Camaro ZL1. The prototype straight from the GM Proving Grounds was at their facility.

For those of you that are not familiar with Katech Engine Development. They build the motors for this Cadi:

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 10-25-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Cool.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Katech
Account Suspended

Drives: C6 Z06
Here is a pic of the heat exchanger
Katech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Damn the CTS-V has a beautiful engine bay
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Breathing is VERY good.

Would you go ahead and tell me how much this bad boy is gonna cost me?

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
I’m not sure if you could say +20 for sure given the ZL1’s improved breathing over the CTS-V. I think you could say the peak HP is accurate but it may be less. Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post

Breathing is VERY good.

Would you go ahead and tell me how much this bad boy is gonna cost me?

The first ZL1 that volunteers for our testing (fitment mostly) will get one free.

We would need the car at Katech's facility in Clinton Township, MI or in Wisconsin. Better at their facility where they can offer further upgrades if interested.

email me at sales@halltechsystems.com if interested.

Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Halltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I’m not sure if you could say +20 for sure given the ZL1’s improved breathing over the CTS-V. I think you could say the peak HP is accurate but it may be less. Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?
More horsepower benefits come from restriction to flow issue improvements. Our 20 RWHP was vs. the bone stock air intake system, (which creates much more restriction to flow at stock boost levels on the SC motor).

As the requirements for airflow go up with higher hp motors, which generate increases in volumetric efficiency post throttle body, that requires the air intake system pre-throttle body to improve as well to take advantage of those increases post throttle body.

For instance, the Halltech Super Bee intake for the Z06 dynos at +15 HP over GM factory stock on Katech engine dyno on a 611 HP motor, and around 13 on the stock LS7 motor. So as the VE goes up, the demand for lower restriction at the AIS goes up as well to take advantage of the improved VE.

Another example is that the stock CTS-V, will collapse the rubber duct between the filter box and throttle body at around 15 PSI boost due to the vacuum created by the restriction to flow at the filter. We open that up by a huge amount.

Last, you can call Dustin Whipple of Whipple Superchargers. They saw between 25 to 30 RWHP gain with the Halltech intake system on their Z06 Whipple SC setup.

Our filters are designed by Halltech and manufactured by K&N exclusively for us. So you get name brand performance and dependability.

Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
More horsepower benefits come from restriction to flow issue improvements. Our 20 RWHP was vs. the bone stock air intake system, (which creates much more restriction to flow at stock boost levels on the SC motor).

As the requirements for airflow go up with higher hp motors, which generate increases in volumetric efficiency post throttle body, that requires the air intake system pre-throttle body to improve as well to take advantage of those increases post throttle body.

For instance, the Halltech Super Bee intake for the Z06 dynos at +15 HP over GM factory stock on Katech engine dyno on a 611 HP motor, and around 13 on the stock LS7 motor. So as the VE goes up, the demand for lower restriction at the AIS goes up as well to take advantage of the improved VE.

Another example is that the stock CTS-V, will collapse the rubber duct between the filter box and throttle body at around 15 PSI boost due to the vacuum created by the restriction to flow at the filter. We open that up by a huge amount.

Last, you can call Dustin Whipple of Whipple Superchargers. They saw between 25 to 30 RWHP gain with the Halltech intake system on their Z06 Whipple SC setup.

Our filters are designed by Halltech and manufactured by K&N exclusively for us. So you get name brand performance and dependability.

Jim
I agree with all of this.

I'm just saying that one of the reasons the stock ZL1 has more hp over the stock CTS-V as I understand it is a less restrictive intake. So maybe the ZL1 will only yield a +15RWHP gain from this because the stock ZL1 intake is better to begin with. That was my only question. I might be wrong.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Halltech

Quote:

I'm just saying that one of the reasons the stock ZL1 has more hp over the stock CTS-V as I understand it is a less restrictive intake. So maybe the ZL1 will only yield a +15RWHP gain from this because the stock ZL1 intake is better to begin with. That was my only question. I might be wrong.
I think they are referring to the cam and other components. I do not know the specs, but +24 HP is not with a flat panel paper filter. The airbox is almost a clone of the CTS-V.

We tried to get GMs engineers to open the hood, for a few, but they were not having that conversation back in early September. I asked two of the engineers to look at our intake on the CTS-V770 to see if they felt it would be a go on the ZL1, and the answer was "you're going to sell a lot of those to the ZL1 guys".

Jason might be able to address the improvements internally that differentiates the ZL1 from the LSA motor. 1 lb boost would make 30 or so more hp. I know the internals mimic the ZR1 in terms of forgings, vs. cast. Some of the improvements I cannot speak to right now.

GM has specific release dates on different aspects of the car overall, and Jason keeps up with that better than I do.

Jim Hall
Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Halltech

Quote:

Your Point taken:

"For the Camaro ZL1, the LSA features a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing. Other changes include a higher-efficiency supercharger intercooler and electric power steering system, which consumes less engine power than hydraulic-steering systems"

We'll have to dyno one before and after.

We make a flat filter panel setup for the CTS-V already, and it is around 6 RWHP improvement.

Our STinger-R Ram Air System, would benefit even more if we have ram air on the dyno. The dyno used had a high speed fan, but duplicating real world ram air is impossible on the dyno. A F1 wind tunnel with a dyno would be required.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Halltech

Just a teaser. Here is the mild manner CTS-V cousin

The new ZL1 will be kick ass compared to the CTS-V, but don't pull up along side this Katech built Halltech CTS-V770:

Here is the dyno at Katech:

http://www.youtube.com/user/badtbon?.../0/7SBGtwemHFM
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
Halltech

Look at Road and Tracks video about 30 seconds in. Pretty darn close to what the CTS-V intake looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=w8xH_kbAoMQ#!

We'll have to wait and see.

Cost has not been determined, but you know carbon fiber. The carbon fiber always dynos better than plastic anyway:
Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Halltech

Also, you might want to check this out.

This is the before (556 HP stock) vs the Halltech Package:

Installation at Katech Performance available. This was an E85 setup by Halltech at 15 PSI boost.

Dynoed at Vector Motorsports across the street from Katech. Steve at Vector did the final dyno tuning based on my E85 tune.