Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #57
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokwak View Post
Hi Chase,
Thanks for your answer.
Do you have an idea of ​​the kind of modification to do?
The cat back will require some cutting to make it work with the cats and cut outs.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #58
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Wow Chase great post!!! Few questions

I'm undecided on which size 1 7/8 or 2" diameter headers to go with. I do plan future performance mods such as cam, etc down the road so will the size matter? I have Flowmaster AT Catback exhaust on it now, will there be a problem with headers mounting straight up to these? Im planning offroad cats.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #59
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Wow Chase great post!!! Few questions

I'm undecided on which size 1 7/8 or 2" diameter headers to go with. I do plan future performance mods such as cam, etc down the road so will the size matter? I have Flowmaster AT Catback exhaust on it now, will there be a problem with headers mounting straight up to these? Im planning offroad cats.

Thanks!
Thanks Angie. If you are planning to add a supercharger at some point I would go with the 2 inch, otherwise 1 7/8 is what I would recommend. The key to ensuring a seamless install with your existing cat back is to make sure you get what are labeled "factory connect" or "short system" headers. When you are ready just hit me up and we will make sure you get the right parts.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #60
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thanks Angie. If you are planning to add a supercharger at some point I would go with the 2 inch, otherwise 1 7/8 is what I would recommend. The key to ensuring a seamless install with your existing cat back is to make sure you get what are labeled "factory connect" or "short system" headers. When you are ready just hit me up and we will make sure you get the right parts.
Awesome thank you!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #61
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Awesome thank you!!!!
No problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #62
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Luke View Post
For any LS platform larger than the 5.7 I would STRONGLY recommend the 1 7/8" Kooks long tubes. Whether you go cat-less or not is your choice, but they are superior in every way. IMHO dont wast money on shorties or anything ARH..
Really? Not sure why the animosity towards ARH but there's 10's of thousands of Gen 5 owners happilly rowing through the gears with ARH systems. The quickest and fastest Gen 5's all run ARH, not to mention every modern COPO ever built. We are the number 1 supplier of systems for these cars since their release. We offer options that others can't or won't and we have track record that incorporates excellent customer service.

As owner of ARH I'm available to answer any questions and I'm more than happy to go into the details that any custom project requires. I respectfully welcome anyone to PM or call me and I'll be glad to steer them in the right direction. Thanks.

Nick
631-608-1986
nick@americanracingheaders.com
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #63
Apex Motorsports

Nick and the guys at ARH build world class products. They are definitely be on the short list of top tier options.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #64
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
There are a lot of different option when it comes to thermal coating. The finish most people typically visualize when you talk about ceramic coating looks similar to chrome.

But you can get almost any finish you can imagine.

And if you really want to spend some money you can get crazy...

Those are all great, but do you have headers with little bikini girls on each pipe that lose the bikini when they get hot?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #65
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowz View Post
Those are all great, but do you have headers with little bikini girls on each pipe that lose the bikini when they get hot?
You, sir, are a genius.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #66
Rickeyp21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just wanted to say thanks to Chase for this. It's a great write-up with a lot of good info. Since my first mod is going to be a complete exhaust system, it was perfect for me.

I'm debating on which brand of LTs to go with, as I am on a limited budget, but I have found a couple of brands that are somewhat cheaper than the top name brands I see on here. All are 304 stainless, mandrel bent, free shipping, etc, but several hundred dollars cheaper. Not to start a war here, but does brand truly make that much difference? Or are they all basically the same?

I realize I might get a couple more HP from a great set like ARH or others, but if I can save $200-$300 dollars and only lose 2-3 HP I don't mind. Just trying to do as much as I can with my limited funds
Rickeyp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #67
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
I don't know that its power as much as it's the quality and durability that you are paying the extra money for. Having said that, I just put Stainless Power 1 7/8 on my car. They are a good middle of the road option and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #68
Rickeyp21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
I don't know that its power as much as it's the quality and durability that you are paying the extra money for. Having said that, I just put Stainless Power 1 7/8 on my car. They are a good middle of the road option and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Hi 1LE801. Thanks for the reply. I looked up the Stainless Power ones you mentioned at Apex, and they are actually cheaper than the ones I was considering from Texas-Speed.com. Since you have had a good experience with them, I might go with that option instead. I'm going to do a little more research first, but you may have just saved me about $150! Thanks!

Rickeyp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #69
1340racer
In Torque we trust.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

^^wow^^ That's not a bad price! Did you go with hi-flow cats, or off-road?

I'm riding the fence between ST or LT headers. I plan on a ZEX kit and maybe a cam, and definitely a tune since PCMNC is just a few miles up the road from my office, but nothing more radical than that. I just want a little extra sump'n sump'n once in a while.

I live in SC, so a cat delete won't cause any issues for me (no emissions or inspection to deal with) but I'm more concerned with making the engine bay look nice than squeezing every ounce of HP out of the mill, which is why I was giving the ST a hard look.

The Silver Hurlant
1340racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #70
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeyp21 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to Chase for this. It's a great write-up with a lot of good info. Since my first mod is going to be a complete exhaust system, it was perfect for me.

I'm debating on which brand of LTs to go with, as I am on a limited budget, but I have found a couple of brands that are somewhat cheaper than the top name brands I see on here. All are 304 stainless, mandrel bent, free shipping, etc, but several hundred dollars cheaper. Not to start a war here, but does brand truly make that much difference? Or are they all basically the same?

I realize I might get a couple more HP from a great set like ARH or others, but if I can save $200-$300 dollars and only lose 2-3 HP I don't mind. Just trying to do as much as I can with my limited funds
I am glad that you found it helpful. There are a lot of design differences between each of the brands. Besides quality, some of those design feature cost more to manufacture and the cheap stuff out there do not have them. A perfect example of that would be merge spikes. Stainless Power are well designed, quality products, and a little less expensive than the top tier options.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeyp21 View Post
Hi 1LE801. Thanks for the reply. I looked up the Stainless Power ones you mentioned at Apex, and they are actually cheaper than the ones I was considering from Texas-Speed.com. Since you have had a good experience with them, I might go with that option instead. I'm going to do a little more research first, but you may have just saved me about $150! Thanks!
They are a great option. Best bang for your buck option available for these cars in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1340racer View Post
^^wow^^ That's not a bad price! Did you go with hi-flow cats, or off-road?

I'm riding the fence between ST or LT headers. I plan on a ZEX kit and maybe a cam, and definitely a tune since PCMNC is just a few miles up the road from my office, but nothing more radical than that. I just want a little extra sump'n sump'n once in a while.

I live in SC, so a cat delete won't cause any issues for me (no emissions or inspection to deal with) but I'm more concerned with making the engine bay look nice than squeezing every ounce of HP out of the mill, which is why I was giving the ST a hard look.
Go with long tubes. You can get the Stainless Power long tubes for about what you will pay for a decent set of shorties and these engines respond a lot better to the long tubes.

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works