Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
JoeKay

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS
Rally Stripe Kit Install (Aftermarket)

Hello All,

This is an informative post to share some of the things I experienced self-installing a factory replica rally stripes kit.
Readers thinking about self-installing might find this helpful, although a lot of it is common sense.

Earlier in the year I purchased a kit for $180 . I basically shopped around the internet and bought the cheapest kit I
could find. Big mistake! When I inspected this kit (packed in a round tube) it had folded creases in it and scratches on the surface. I had a bad feeling about it. A friend (with installation experience) installed it. It came out terrible. Just wouldn't stick down. It had big wrinkles and rips in the outer pin-stripes. I tolerated it for a while but was not happy with it. It had to go..

Started shopping again and found a kit for even less ($150 shipped). I talked to the vendor selling it and asked him what kind of vinyl it was. He said it was 3M Scotchcal High Performance vinyl (top of the line). I went with this kit and it worked out much better.

THE INSTALLATION:

I had removed the previous kit 3 weeks ago with the usual (heat gun, Goo-Gone..) . I did the installation inside on the
kitchen table since I did not have access to a garage. Removing the hood and trunk lids is very easy. You need a helper with the hood. When putting the lids back on the car, I used the circular washer unpainted spots to re-align..

The air conditioned temperature was 72' degrees. I used an application fluid of 4 hefty drops Johnson's Baby Shampoo per 20 ounces of water. I did not use a commercial fluid such as Rapid Tac. They say "a full bond in as little as ninety seconds". As a first-time installer I did not want that condition (my goal was not speed).

I waited a good 25 minutes before pulling the top clear cover. Actually, the clear cover of opposite stripes align with each other when installing (it did so with my kit anyway..) so I would let one side dry real good while I worked on the other side.

For the trunk the stripes will cover the spoilers mounting screw holes. After being well dried I cut out the holes with an exacto blade. I was advised not to poke the spoilers screws through the vinyl.

I had very little problem with bubbles (about 2 or 3 small ones on each piece). Make sure you use a very small pin. I went to AC Moore Arts & Craft and bought the smallest pins they had. You have to put your eyeball inches away to see evidence of the pin marks I made..

The hardest part is of course the down slants on the hood. The fingers (ripples) will keep popping up for several minutes. Just deal with them as in the installation videos you see on the internet. They'll eventually go down..

For the spoiler after I got the top flat part down with the squeegee I used my hands to wrap it around the end tip..
It was easier using my hands rather than the squeegee to secure it around the end..

All in all the project was a lot of fun and I'm very happy with the quality of the results. My mechanic said if he didn't
know it looks like a factory install..

So, if you take the route of self install:

- Remember to talk with you vendor a lot. Ask him questions. Chances are he will be an experienced installer.

- Select a good quality vinyl. I heard 3M & Avery are two of the top. There are many different grades from each
manufacturer. Find out exactly what your vendor is selling.

- Inspect the kit for creases, folds.. There should be none on a good quality kit.

- Spend some time Watching several installation videos on internet.

- Do the trunk first (its easier) so you get a feel for it.

I've included some pics. It is glossy black..

Joe
Attached Images

JoeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
StreetReporter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Black on Black
Nice install. Great write-up.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Looks really good !!! I like the look of Gloss Black so much better than Flat ...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
JoeKay

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Looks really good !!! I like the look of Gloss Black so much better than Flat ...
Yeah, I do too. They stand out a little better, especially in low light (like dusk after sundown).

I think GM should offer them..
JoeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Good job. I have chips in mine so most likely will be attempting the same project. Do you have a list of (recommended) vendors who provide the stripe kits?