Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #113
Chevy_Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4LIFE View Post
The plot thickens
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #114
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
So if you hold that in a mirror would it read 82Z, maybe it's some old parts?
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #115
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
The z28 should be true to its heritage. gm will release it when they know it is right.
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #116
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper View Post
The z28 should be true to its heritage. gm will release it when they know it is right.
Actually the ZL1 was supposed to be the Z28...but for some reasons they changed their mind...
Just like what Vulpine said earlier...
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #117
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
ZL1 was rumored to be the Z28 up until it was announced as the ZL1. I think they changed their mind when the boss 302 came out and decided to do a 1LE and maybe a Z28 in the future. I say maybe but I know the Z28 will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks. The goodies you mention adds a bigger, heavier engine which goes against the original Z/28 purpose which actually brought the cubic inches down to 302. In 1969 you could get an SS with a 350 or 396 cubic inch engine so going down to a small-block 302 seemed to go against the grain until you realized the weight/balance advantage and the fact it actually had as much power as the bigger engines.

The Z/28 was a track car built to allow Chevy to compete in the Trans-Am series. It's a shame we don't have the Trans-Am series again; with all the new muscle cars it would be a great series and a great way for the auto companies to show off their cars... oil company sponsorship... tire company sponsorship... all the benefits a series like this has because it runs basically STREET cars that the average fan can identify with, own and drive.

How about a naturally-aspirated, direct-injection, dual-overhead-cam small-block V8 that puts out 450-490 hp and weighs LESS than the LS3 does now?

Get a Z/28 down around 3,600 lbs with that engine, the 1LE track pack, tune it for road racing and that's a car that would proudly live up to the legend of a Z/28. Lobby the SCCA to start a rebirth of the Trans-Am series; get Ford and Dodge to join in on it and you'd have something that would be very popular I think.

actually over head cam motors are generally heavier than our push-rod motors. so kinda have to go against you on that one. and being that the Trans am series isn't around anymore why limit the size of the engine to 302? But I am with you on DI, NA and a V8. I'm hoping that a Gen V motor makes it into the Z28 for the 5th gen camaro, but not to sure it will happen.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #118
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
z/28 would probably have the Zr1 engine (LS9) in it and be wwwaaayyyyyy outside of my budget lol. Though still think we need at least 750hp to 1 up the cobra... maybe 800 considering how fat our ass is lol!
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #119
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
why would the z/28 have the zr1 engine? it doesn't harken back to the original concept of the Z28. the ZL1 was the most powerful camaro produced in the 1st gen. and in essense that's what the ZL1 is today.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #120
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
why would the z/28 have the zr1 engine? it doesn't harken back to the original concept of the Z28. the ZL1 was the most powerful camaro produced in the 1st gen. and in essense that's what the ZL1 is today.
Because its GM and the zr1 is the best engine they got, i doubt they will develop a whole new engine for the z28
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #121
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyshallsmite View Post
Because its GM and the zr1 is the best engine they got, i doubt they will develop a whole new engine for the z28
and that's why some of us believe it will be the next generation engine in the vette. and some even believe that it will be the ls7. They aren't going to develop another engine just for one car. unless it's the Vette. the Z28 was never more powerful then the ZL1. just handled better.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #122
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Well like I have said in many of these threads, GM has done a hell of a job keeping to heritage on the Gen V, and I also said that new engines and specific engines have been used and debuted in the camaro so why would now be different..the heads of GM know that we are a bunch of whiners on this site and we know what we want, hence the name change to ZL1 when they intended it to be the Z/28. I am still looking for a 5.3,5.5 or 5.7 DI engine in a Gen V camaro and called a Z/28. they know that this name plate is sacred and not over used but they also know that this specific nameplatge will sell cars. sounds perfect for a MY end run to me. If yall can't get on the band wagon for this I don't know what else to say, they are in a business to sell cars and the cars the WE want. MY '14 looks to be the end for the Gen V and I can see GM pulling out all the stops to squeeze the last penny out of these stamping dies as they can before the debut of a new car. As of now the Gen V engine is supposed to debut in Feb of 13 barring any issues!! 2+2=4 right?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #123
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Thanks. The goodies you mention adds a bigger, heavier engine which goes against the original Z/28 purpose which actually brought the cubic inches down to 302. In 1969 you could get an SS with a 350 or 396 cubic inch engine so going down to a small-block 302 seemed to go against the grain until you realized the weight/balance advantage and the fact it actually had as much power as the bigger engines.

The Z/28 was a track car built to allow Chevy to compete in the Trans-Am series. It's a shame we don't have the Trans-Am series again; with all the new muscle cars it would be a great series and a great way for the auto companies to show off their cars... oil company sponsorship... tire company sponsorship... all the benefits a series like this has because it runs basically STREET cars that the average fan can identify with, own and drive.

How about a naturally-aspirated, direct-injection, dual-overhead-cam small-block V8 that puts out 450-490 hp and weighs LESS than the LS3 does now?

Get a Z/28 down around 3,600 lbs with that engine, the 1LE track pack, tune it for road racing and that's a car that would proudly live up to the legend of a Z/28. Lobby the SCCA to start a rebirth of the Trans-Am series; get Ford and Dodge to join in on it and you'd have something that would be very popular I think.
That's a fine theory, however a double OHC SBC would likely weigh more than an LS3, not less. The LS3 is not an extremely heavy engine, it is an SBC. The second problem for your theory in a 5th gen Camaro is getting the weight down to 3,600 lbs, to get the weight that low would require a total re-thinking of the entire design and would need to use copious amounts of very expensive light weight materials. And those expensive light weight materials would also help to drive the costs way up. Now the upcoming 6th gen Camaro may present a different unique opportunity, being on the Alpha platform it appears that it will be significantly lighter than the current 5th gen and the Gen5 SBC engines will be appearing just shortly before the 6th gen Camaro is due. The 5th gen SBC engines are likely to be all direct injected with both higher output and better fuel economy, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #124
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
That's a fine theory, however a double OHC SBC would likely weigh more than an LS3, not less. The LS3 is not an extremely heavy engine, it is an SBC. The second problem for your theory in a 5th gen Camaro is getting the weight down to 3,600 lbs, to get the weight that low would require a total re-thinking of the entire design and would need to use copious amounts of very expensive light weight materials. And those expensive light weight materials would also help to drive the costs way up. Now the upcoming 6th gen Camaro may present a different unique opportunity, being on the Alpha platform it appears that it will be significantly lighter than the current 5th gen and the Gen5 SBC engines will be appearing just shortly before the 6th gen Camaro is due. The 5th gen SBC engines are likely to be all direct injected with both higher output and better fuel economy, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Clyde
Depends on the displacement and what it's made out of but I wasn't thinking of a 5th Gen Z/28. I've gotten my 2010 SS down to 3,680 without having to use copious amounts of expensive light weight materials. And I've done it without stripping it out either. It's doable.

However I don't expect a 5th Gen Z... I think that will be a 6th Gen option because they want to take everything they've learned with this generation, and put those lessons to good use in the next generation. What I expect we'll see in the 6th Gen is the ZL1 will be king; most expensive, most horsepower, most technology; the Z/28 will be less expensive than a ZL1, n/a and a track terror; the 1LE option will put an SS just below a Z/28; the SS will be the "performance" street car with the most luxury options; the COPO will be the 1/4 miler.

The reign of the Camaro is just beginning me thinks.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #125
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Depends on the displacement and what it's made out of but I wasn't thinking of a 5th Gen Z/28. I've gotten my 2010 SS down to 3,680 without having to use copious amounts of expensive light weight materials. And I've done it without stripping it out either. It's doable.

However I don't expect a 5th Gen Z... I think that will be a 6th Gen option because they want to take everything they've learned with this generation, and put those lessons to good use in the next generation. What I expect we'll see in the 6th Gen is the ZL1 will be king; most expensive, most horsepower, most technology; the Z/28 will be less expensive than a ZL1, n/a and a track terror; the 1LE option will put an SS just below a Z/28; the SS will be the "performance" street car with the most luxury options; the COPO will be the 1/4 miler.

The reign of the Camaro is just beginning me thinks.
That sounds interesting, I for one would be very interested to hear how you accomplished your weight savings. I do think time is running out for a 5th gen Z/28, we'll just have to see. And the likely lower weight in the 6th gen Camaro should be a big benefit to whatever models GM chooses to do in the 6th gen.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #126
96SS10SS
hates winter

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
How much horsepower does the Z28 plastic bracket thingy add? Does it make the car handle better?

Longtime lurker, occasional poster. I don't get all the hype about the Z28. Remember when it was spotted and confirmed? http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96645

No Z28, but instead there's a beast known as the ZL1.

Maybe they will make one and maybe they won't, but why devote so much time and attention to a maybe? If you like the 5th gen Camaro and want a Z28 model so bad, just buy one and improve it with what you think the Z28 would have (good luck with the lightweight part). You can even buy the old badges.

Why waste valuable time wondering about a Z28 when you could be behind the wheel of your Camaro, upgrading your Camaro or going out and buying one to drive/upgrade if you don't already have one?
96SS10SS is offline   Reply With Quote