Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Anyone install Solid Differential Mount Bushings? ANy comments?

I have a set of solid DELRIN bushings used in the Camaro race cars. I plan to install these with a new 1 piece driveshaft but I want to know what effects this will have on noise and overall ride quality when launching and vibrations in the driveline when shifting hard at WOT.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I have done all of the bushings in my car and it just feels more solid and makes zero noise so really you wont notice any differnce besides knowing you are getting zero movement and helping in hooking up the power.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I think Pedders HD diff bushes are close... This is from their website:

Quote:
EP1167HD

Zeta Rear HD Diff Mounts

For those who like Pedders choose to build their Camaro well past 450 RWHP our EP1167HD is the solution. The HD version does not have the voids found in our Sports Ryder version. The durometer is higher, for the loads delivered by higher output engines. There is a difference in cabin noise level with the EP1167HD. This is directly related to the elimination of voids and the increase in material hardness. It is a trade-off for ultimate performance with Delrin like performance, but with Pedders durability. Even if you run OEM spec power, but you hit the track HARD, you'll find the differential bush upgrade allows you to have a finer edge of control in the application of the loud pedal. MAY INCREASE AUDIBLE DIFFERENTIAL NOISE
https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...dCode=EP1167HD
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
600hp-lpe

I have changed all the bushings to pedders HD poly mounts.. and I changed all of the rear suspension arms to Spohn arms with either Delrin or solid rod ends.

The little bit of gear noise is bearable. The ride is a little stiffer than stock.

It made a huge difference in how the car plants the tires and got rid of wheelhop.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You'll have almost no perceptible difference in ride quality regardless of the durometer or material in the differential bushes. You will hear more gear noise. The question is how much. The differential in the Camaro can be quiet, a bit of whine or unbearable. It won't be the bushes as the primary source. It will be the differential. There is a difference of substance in differential noise levels. They are all quiet with the OE bushes. You won't know if you have a loud or quiet one until you install the hard bushes.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
55Designs

Thanks guys the bushings I got are unlike any of the ones on the retail aftermarket. All the diff bushings on the market are direct replacements with the hole dead center. Mine have the hole offset which raises my differential positioning enough thus changing the pitch angle of the axles eliminating vibrations at super high track speeds. The Camaros have been plagued with high speed vibrations and when you throw huge rubber and stiffer suspension its very noticeable to a guy who knows its not supposed to be there.

Im not concerned about noise of the gears but I know now with the soft OEM bushings on the diff they actually absorb some slack when banging gears and all. With solid ones I am curious where that energy will be absorbed and how.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
JusticePete

The ears of the differential will take the bulk of the excess load. How long will they last? Or if there will be a problem at all? Keep an eye on them for signs of stress and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
I have solid, hid dura diff bushings and the noise level is minimal and acceptable to me. Not really sure why some have more noises than others. I do have a buddy who made delrin bushings for his car, and there was 0 noise increase. But to say what yours will do is a flip of the coin.
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro427 View Post
I have solid, hid dura diff bushings and the noise level is minimal and acceptable to me. Not really sure why some have more noises than others. I do have a buddy who made delrin bushings for his car, and there was 0 noise increase. But to say what yours will do is a flip of the coin.
It is differential dependent and not bush dependent. We know that our EP1167 with holes is quiet just like OE. When we move to the higher durometer and solid EP1167HD without holes we tell clients to expect noise. They are never disappointed if they don't get noise. Bottom line, if you have a noisy dif and install a solid bush you'll have noise in the car.

If you don't care because performance is most important, none of this matters,
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
stubby

Drives: 2014 Z28 & 2014 C7 z51
Brand of offset differential bushing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
Thanks guys the bushings I got are unlike any of the ones on the retail aftermarket. All the diff bushings on the market are direct replacements with the hole dead center. Mine have the hole offset which raises my differential positioning enough thus changing the pitch angle of the axles eliminating vibrations at super high track speeds. The Camaros have been plagued with high speed vibrations and when you throw huge rubber and stiffer suspension its very noticeable to a guy who knows its not supposed to be there.

Im not concerned about noise of the gears but I know now with the soft OEM bushings on the diff they actually absorb some slack when banging gears and all. With solid ones I am curious where that energy will be absorbed and how.

Do you mind sharing the vrand of the offset differntial bushings? Are they poly or delrin? How have they worked out for you?
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
jkof08

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It is differential dependent and not bush dependent. We know that our EP1167 with holes is quiet just like OE. When we move to the higher durometer and solid EP1167HD without holes we tell clients to expect noise. They are never disappointed if they don't get noise. Bottom line, if you have a noisy dif and install a solid bush you'll have noise in the car.

If you don't care because performance is most important, none of this matters,
Can u email me a link to ur bushings with holes in them my sold BMR ones are killing my ears.
C.A.I. CAI, FlowMaster Pro Series, 1LE Strut Brace, Ported Throttle Body, Vengeance Tune, JRE Scoop, MSD Wires, 3.70 Gears, Stainless Works LT Headers and Hi Flow Cats, Pro Torque 3500 stall, LS3 Conversion Stage 2 TSP Port & Polished Heads, Kaotik CAM. 18x10 Forgestar F14 wrapped in 305/45/18 MT Street ET II's
12.068 @ 119.9 1.9 60ft (on 20' DR's with a VVT CAM)

jkof08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkof08 View Post
Can u email me a link to ur bushings with holes in them my sold BMR ones are killing my ears.
I am sorry to say, I no longer handle those. What is your RWHP?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I installed BMR poly busings in teh differential and it's super noisy now.. clunky, and I get real loud diff whine at 70+mph.. I also have poly cradle mounts.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
jkof08

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am sorry to say, I no longer handle those. What is your RWHP?
C.A.I. CAI, FlowMaster Pro Series, 1LE Strut Brace, Ported Throttle Body, Vengeance Tune, JRE Scoop, MSD Wires, 3.70 Gears, Stainless Works LT Headers and Hi Flow Cats, Pro Torque 3500 stall, LS3 Conversion Stage 2 TSP Port & Polished Heads, Kaotik CAM. 18x10 Forgestar F14 wrapped in 305/45/18 MT Street ET II's
12.068 @ 119.9 1.9 60ft (on 20' DR's with a VVT CAM)

jkof08 is offline   Reply With Quote