Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
91RS

Drives: 1991 RS
I agree, silver is the most boring color for this car. No shine or glamour at all. almost looks like car thats WAITING to be painted. Incomplete. I also agree about black being very unflattering. For me its either Yellow, Orange, or Aqua blue.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
Same here, went to see it and was thinking the same thing.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #17
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
ask the germans. they will also tell you it is near impossible.
i have seen bimmers and merc with orange peel. im sure Bentleys dont, but, for the price, they better not have even the smallest of blemishes, and most likely, they wont
Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392

I just attended an unveiling Saturday, and they had a silver 2LT with black stripes.

Maybe I'm seeing something different, but the shine, the way the light played off the body panels...it looked very nice.

Also, an employee had her black SS/RS there. And, as with the silver, it looked very nice.

Doing detail work, I payed close attention to what the paint looked like up close, and I was very impressed.

Both colors show very well on the 5th Gen.

As I said, everyone has their preference. Lets remember to respect other peoples choice/thoughts on color.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Danno

Drives: 1993 Trans Am, 2007 Acadia
Quote:
Here's the BMW guys whining about it on the M3. In fact, one guy in here mentions his WRX has it too, and another that his Porsche does as well.
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=207266

previous cars, starting with my first.
1970 Nova
1967 RS/SS Camaro
1969 Chevelle
1970.5 Camaro
A long, undistinguished line of sedans, SUV's, and minivans.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I heard also rumors like that about some of the new automated painting machines. The Tundra factory in San Antonio, heard the paint is Shat cause of the new machines try to skimp on the juice as much as possible to cut costs. Damn skynet....
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
What exactly is orange peel? I'm at a loss.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
What exactly is orange peel? I'm at a loss.

The texture you see in a paint job. Kind of like it was applied with a paint roller.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

I just attended an unveiling Saturday, and they had a silver 2LT with black stripes.

Maybe I'm seeing something different, but the shine, the way the light played off the body panels...it looked very nice.

Also, an employee had her black SS/RS there. And, as with the silver, it looked very nice.

Doing detail work, I payed close attention to what the paint looked like up close, and I was very impressed.

Both colors show very well on the 5th Gen.

As I said, everyone has their preference. Lets remember to respect other peoples choice/thoughts on color.

Waiting for my baby.....
SILVER SS/RS -- black leather -- sunroof
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I would be willing to bet that most people who don't like silver on the Camaro don't like silver on cars period.

Have you ever noticed how many show cars (I mean like the NY Auto Show) are silver? It's because silver does tend to show lines better than any other color due to reflectivity indexes, it makes sharp lines really pop as it tends to be bright silver in perpendicular light and appears to drop to a darker hue off axis. For the same reason, it accentuates curves because it has better shows color gradients. It also implies technological sophistication.

Now, if you say the silver car just disappears against other colors of cars- that's you and your personal psychology, combined with the fact that there are too many silver cars on the road.

(edit, you can actually see this in example in the pics in this thread: go to moose's black car and you show high reflectivity in the left fender, but it still appears to be a reflection in black. Then go to Levi1922 and look at the silver in the signature line. The perceived color if you mask the hood off is much lighter on the right fender. Same goes for Indpowers Vette- hold your hand up so it covers the back- looks dark enough to almost be grey on the flank. High School art classes plus ICAR training on blending FTW lol)

Last edited by MrIcky; 05-15-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: for clarity
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
What do you want them to do? Water based paints help stop the climate change menace Al Gore has been warning us of for years!!!!!!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.
BZZZZZZZZZZZ……………..Wrong, they walked past it because it was a mustang...

I am totally going to have to disagree with your statement on SILVER. Silver is one of the best colors for the new Camaro because it truly dose ascent every body line the car has. If you have not seen a silver Camaro in person, you will know what I mean the first time you do…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #27
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Silver is just too ugly.

-bobby
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What do you want them to do? Water based paints help stop the climate change menace Al Gore has been warning us of for years!!!!!!
It has nothing to do about Al Gore and climate change. It has all to do with the toxins and VOC levels used in other based paints.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote