Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #43
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnEd View Post
This thread is about "orange peel" not color. Start your own thread if you insist on bashing any color, yes, even SIM. Good manners dictate that I not express how I really feel.
+100
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #44
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.

u obviously never seen a sim camaro in real life... it by far does the MOST just for the lines of the camaro compared to ALL of the other colors
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #45
Ranger 75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IBM
The metallic paints are less prone to show orange peel.
I think the red shows the line pf the car better.
Ranger 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #46
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Actually i believe Black is a enamel based paint.The paint code U8555 has been used by GM for over 15 years,it's the same paint.Most water based paints will have a WA in front of the paint code.Most GM paint is a flat base coat with clear sprayed over it.Ya know it's too bad GM didn't offer Saturn's "Metallic Black"paint to the Camaro.It looks just like Chrysler's Metallic black,paint code PXR,now that's a nice blackIt actually has microscopic flakes of silver in it.
I was looking at a Camaro in my dealers showroom(victory red),and i would say the "orange peel"wasn't as evident on this color,still not smooth as glass,but pretty darn goodGM paint is produced by Dupont,and i think they have a better quality paint than PPG,which is what Chrysler uses.You put a Chrysler product next to a GM product,and you tell me which has the worst orange peel...that's right,Chrysler does

I look at Chrysler and GM products every day(I inspect cars for a living)so i know a little about paint finishes.I couldn't tell you how many Chrysler vehicles have came through my workplace that have been re-painted because of quality control issues with PPG paint.

Didn't know if you all were aware of this or not,but all the vehicles that you see at a Autoshow have been re-painted,not the base coat,but they all have had another coat of clearcoat applied to them,that's why the paint looks so smooth,they didn't come from the factory lookin' like that.The cost of that clearcoat,from $1,800-$3,000 per vehicle.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #47
Skald

Drives: 1
Here's a pic of what orange peel looks like for the people who were asking.
Skald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #48
prasutagus

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Even Vettes have Orange Peel. It will show on Darker Colors more than lighter colors. Silver looks great on the Camaro (looks pretty good on the Vette, too, but I am biased )
prasutagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #49
BOBSS
Outlaw

Drives: 2010SS
It's really sad to see how bad it is on that M3, WOW!
Thanks for the pick, that is the definition of orange peel.
I think silver shows this car's lines the best, that doesn't make it the best color.
I saw the black in person and it's pretty bad. Black shows orange peel the best. And to those that say you can just buff and wax must not be talking about orange peel. The only way you could get rid of it is wet sanding and re-painting!

I think IBM & RJT will hide the effect better than the rest, just a guess. I had a TBSS in IBM and I couldn't see it anywhere.
BOBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #50
racert33
waiting for white

Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy dude View Post
Actually i believe Black is a enamel based paint.The paint code U8555 has been used by GM for over 15 years,it's the same paint.Most water based paints will have a WA in front of the paint code.Most GM paint is a flat base coat with clear sprayed over it.Ya know it's too bad GM didn't offer Saturn's "Metallic Black"paint to the Camaro.It looks just like Chrysler's Metallic black,paint code PXR,now that's a nice blackIt actually has microscopic flakes of silver in it.
I was looking at a Camaro in my dealers showroom(victory red),and i would say the "orange peel"wasn't as evident on this color,still not smooth as glass,but pretty darn goodGM paint is produced by Dupont,and i think they have a better quality paint than PPG,which is what Chrysler uses.You put a Chrysler product next to a GM product,and you tell me which has the worst orange peel...that's right,Chrysler does

I look at Chrysler and GM products every day(I inspect cars for a living)so i know a little about paint finishes.I couldn't tell you how many Chrysler vehicles have came through my workplace that have been re-painted because of quality control issues with PPG paint.

Didn't know if you all were aware of this or not,but all the vehicles that you see at a Autoshow have been re-painted,not the base coat,but they all have had another coat of clearcoat applied to them,that's why the paint looks so smooth,they didn't come from the factory lookin' like that.The cost of that clearcoat,from $1,800-$3,000 per vehicle.
i'll pay that.
i just think that it looks really bad and don't think that because every car has the same thing happening to it means that it is acceptable. To me, a good paint job is the most important part of a cars appearance. I do realize that this is a cost and time issue to manufacturers and customers, and i'm sure that Dupont and PPG are constantly doing their best to eliminate this issue.

anybody got the number of the guys running the paint booth, maybe i'll slip him some bills to give mine an extra coat

Last edited by racert33; 05-16-2009 at 01:50 AM.
racert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #51
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Was no orange peel on the black 1LT I saw today.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #52
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:
No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.

Then, you don't like silver?
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
Soulrÿche

Drives: 2lt Camaro
Damn tuff choice....

Looking to trade in the turbo for something american and i still cant decide on the damn color!!

Sad.. i would even look at the blue ones and they are closer to the bottom of my list but even then!!!! Going to wait for the stocks to get some normal out in so cal. But i am visiting here everyday, reading, getting input from you guys..

lots of thoughts throughout the forums.

Went to look at the mustangs to give them a fair shot at being my next car.. (have owned 2 ponies, 1 t-bird and a expedition) and until i saw the camaro at the chevy dealer.. sorry ford.. not this time..

anyways.. all the colors look good to me:

#1 silver,black, gray, yellow, reds
#2 - all the blues..

Like to see a white one.. so much that can be added to any of these colors.. i think the lines overall make this car.. look awesome.

thanks and hope to join your ranks soon.

/soul
Soulrÿche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #54
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible.
LMAO, have you ever noticed why concepts are always silver? Here is a hint because they show lines and contours better. Don't let blind preference get in the way of reasoning.

BTW, my brother and I both have the exact 04 Z06. His is yellow, mine is quick silver. I do think the yellow looks better on the car but the silver definitely shows off the lines better.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #55
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Was no orange peel on the black 1LT I saw today.
Same here -- I test drove a black 1LT today, and I specifically looked for the orange peel b/c of the complaints here, but I could not find it.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #56
REVENGE

Drives: 1999 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Thanks Moose !!!

I ordered Black, but Silver IS an awesome color. Why do you think all of the early prototypes and THE prototype unveiled Jan 2006 were all Silver? Because it looks incredible. The majority of the advertising material (All of the info we got from Ed Peper) had a silver Camaro too.

Bottom line - this car looks good in ANY color.
All the early prototypes are siver because the manufacturers know that the majority of people pick silver because its boring and blends in. They are uncomfortable with a vehicle that draws too much attention. It has nothing to do with lines. The majority of people buying cars are not really car people. They just buy cars to get from point a to point b and they never take care of them after a few months of ownership. People need to stop using the ol "makes the lines stand out routine" because in the real world park a silver car on the block and it just becomes another boring looking bland car among many others.
REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote