Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Someone seems a little sensitive.

If you watch the video, the ZL1 is up to 10 seconds behind the Z/28 until the rain hits. Even then, the only time the ZL1 gains ground is on the long straight towards the end were it should be faster.
No not sensitive don't take it the wrong way, I think the Z/28 is an awesome car, I would love to add it to my collection. Just the 20K difference and creature comforts was my intended justification for my purchase.

2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
No not sensitive don't take it the wrong way, I think the Z/28 is an awesome car, I would love to add it to my collection. Just the 20K difference and creature comforts was my intended justification for my purchase.

Exactly

Is three seconds worth 20k?

These discussions are kinda pointless. Everyone who owns a zl1 will say zl1 better. And everyone who owns z28 will say z28 better.

It's personal preference.

I test drove both multiple times. I got the zl1 bc I found significant more value given the price I paid. That isn't wrong or right. Justy buying decision. Can a z28 beat a zl1 in a track stock for stock? Yes it can. I don't buy the "rain hit and it is slowe" z28 story. Let's be honest? If gm thought they can get another 3 seconds quicker they would have ran again. I just don't buy the story "would have been ten seconds faster if..." Again that is just MY OPINION. doesn't mean it's right. Doesn't mean it's wrong. There is simply so much you can do with a zl1 to get faster times than a z28 for just a few k. I think the z28 is an absolutely amazing machine. If it cost less than the zl1 I may be all over it.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #17
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
Does the Z28 use the same ABS & Stabilitrac of the SS?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
Corvette ZR1, Ferrari, Audi even Shelby GT350 use mag shocks can't be all that bad.
I did not say it was "bad", it just does not give feedback at the limit.....It is ALWAYS changing, as you say, every millisecond...so when you get at the limit, you will never know until your front and rear try to swap places, and in these cars, you do not want to be in that position. I now have close to 2000 laps in Camaros at Laguna Seca, so unless you have more experience at the limit than I do..............you are keyboard racing.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #19
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
I owned both cars. I tracked my ZL1 at both Barber and Road Atlanta but never had a chance to put the z/28 on a track. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the z/28 would have put down better times at the same tracks. The ZL1 is the better all-around performance option and the z/28 is the better track car. This is not debatable, IMHO.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Both cars are amazing. I don't own either so no real dog in this race.

IMO the Z/28 is the best road course car made by an American company that you can buy. The ZL-1 is a crazy awesome machine that you can buy. What's the issue?

For a money race, with say Randy Pobst driving, I think the Z/28 will beat a ZL-1 even with even tires around a twisty track. I would bet money on it.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I did not say it was "bad", it just does not give feedback at the limit.....It is ALWAYS changing, as you say, every millisecond...so when you get at the limit, you will never know until your front and rear try to swap places, and in these cars, you do not want to be in that position. I now have close to 2000 laps in Camaros at Laguna Seca, so unless you have more experience at the limit than I do..............you are keyboard racing.
backeddy, I am not questioning your experience.
I think the Z/28 is an awesome car, I would love to add it to my collection. Just the 20K difference and creature comforts was my justification for a ZL1.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
Nurburgring,

What the comparison shows to me is how stupid comparing lap times on the Ring is. A great track for chassis and suspension development, I now see why some manufacturers won't buy into the hype. Put both the ZL1 and the Z/28 on a track like Mosport, er Canadian Tire Motosports Park and I believe the gap would be much the same. So relatively larger.

Oh, and I'm sick of hearing the rain excuse for the Z/28. It ran on threaded tires, and it was a light shower. If they felt they could do much better they would have. The fact that the best time released was a wet run says that other dry ones weren't the drivers best.

While the ZL1, 1LE and Z/28 are/were impressive cars, I admit I was always confused by GM's thinking on this. Why the three? ZL1 was supposed to be the Z/28 originally, right? So what was the LE really? An attempt to correct what was wrong with the SS from the get go without admitting it? And the ZED was ultimately a correction of the 1LE? Just seems so odd to have the three so late in the life cycle, so close together. No Croatian of the engineering team at all as there's none to be made but management? Hopefully we get the Z/28 release of the new car right within the first year. With a much improved SS, not sure there's a need for a ZL1 anymore unless it follows the originals drag racing heritage.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #23
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I think people should think less of lap times, and more on what the car is.

Take a 911 turbo s and 911 GT3. the turbo will put down the same time as the GT3 or better in some case. but the experience you get from both are is different. They feel different even if the times are the same.

my point is that the Z/28 FEELS different. I would take the Z/28 on the tack any day over a ZL1 even if the times were the same.

I get it. Thus I was happy with my Boss after the ZL1 came out. Still, as I always said had they come out in a different order I may have been happy with the ZL1. Or looking to replace it with the ZED? Who knows. But in waiting till everybody plays their hand before my next purchase.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote