Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
How much does it cost to rent a Camaro SS?

What's a good estimate for a day renting a SS from say Hertz? Anyone ever rent one before?
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro
call Hertz
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I was supposed to rent one after flying to PA in 2013 before I bought mine. Turned out it was snowing when I arrived, so I cancelled and got an AWD, but it was going to cost me in the 300 to 400 range for 3 days to rent an Auto SS. If you are unsure if you want one and want to test the waters, it is a good way to do it. I test drove a V6 Camaro in 2012 to test the waters myself. Not all centers have a Camaro SS, so you gotta search around. I called them and spoke to a human and they were very helpful.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp23rockstar View Post
What's a good estimate for a day renting a SS from say Hertz? Anyone ever rent one before?
Just buy one, once you drive one you'll never want anything else
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
you are looking at about 150 a day give or take if they carry the SS
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Red face Its cheaper...

...to just steal one. And you don't have to worry about those outrageous gas prices if you don't top off the tank when you return it.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
$75-$150 depending on when/where
Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Keep in mind that unless your rental agency/ location specializes in "custom" car rentals, it's a crapshoot. You can reserve a specific vehicle, but arrive to find that they've decided to "give you another car instead," when the car you WANTED isn't available. I have arrived to pick up my nice rental coupes/ sedans, and been told, "Sorry, all we have is this tan minivan... or this silver Kia with no AC or radio." Yes, they will "Confirm" that have rented a certain type/ model/ style, but the fine print always allows them to "substitute" with a "similar" vehicle... and "similar" can be defined as, "has anything from two to 18 wheels."

(Sure, it sometimes works the other way, but also a crapshoot: I have rented cheapo crap, to arrive at the rental agency and find that all they have is nice stuff... which I have then received, at the price of cheapo crap... but that's blind luck.)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
For a single day rental, find out which agencies carry the vehicle then just go there day-of and see if they have any sitting around. Usually you can negotiate for a better price too since it's just sitting there, unreserved. If you don't like the price or they don't have any, just go to the next rental agent/location that does. Sometimes they're at the same spot (especially if at an airport).

They probably fill it with 87 octane, so keep that in mind when mashing the pedal on the first tank until you can get some premium gas in it.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
suzook

Drives: camaro
The reason I now own one is because Avis had a special when I went down to key West last march. An ss camaro for $325 for the week. It was a no brained. A month after I got back, I bought my dusk edition.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The reason I now own one is because Avis had a special when I went down to key West last march. An ss camaro for $325 for the week. It was a no brained. A month after I got back, I bought my dusk edition.
My tale is remarkably similar... reserved a cheap econobox, but when I arrived, there was Camaro on the lot. I joked that it would be great if they accidentally handed me the keys to that one instead, and the girl said, "Sure... why not? The guy who reserved it never showed up." She gave it to me for the same price as the little Korean roller skate.

I'd previously sworn off V-6 Camaros forever (having owned an '82 Berlinetta with 104 hp), but after seeing that the NEW V-6s have three times the ponies, I reconsidered my vow of abstinence. Two days after returning the rental car, I drove home in my own.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
In Pensacola we rented a Camaro convertible and it was like $420 for the weekend with insurance and unlimited miles.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I rented a 2013 SS Vert from Hertz and it cost me just under 600 for 7 days.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
ErichSS

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS
It varies a lot by market and supply and demand of rentals. There are times they may be given away as free upgrades b/c simply put, there are a lot of people that wouldn't want to rent a Camaro b/c of it's size and or fuel economy. Usually those that reserve a premium or at least full size vehicle may be possible to squeeze either a complimentary or a discounted upgrade into a Camaro if available. Those that generally reserve a premium class vehicle or full size are doing so because they wish to have the space and or comforts. The Camaro doesn't afford that space so they may give it out in order to keep the larger sedans on hand for those that need them.

But, if you are only wanting to rent the Camaro, you'll probably have to reserve it and pay the market rate. Or if you are part of the loyalty programs for any of the rental companies and have obtained status, then you are probably eligible for a comp class upgrade. For instance one time I reserved a premium class vehicle at like $25.day on the weekend and with my Avis membership I was upgraded to an SS coupe. That was probably the best thing that ever happened to me because after that weekend rental, I was hooked on a Camaro and eventually purchased one 2 years later!
ErichSS is offline   Reply With Quote