Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
rahz28
Z28 Historian

Drives: 73 Z28,86,87 Z28, 2010 1LT/RS
Z28 for me means:

1) 302 CU (or 350 for 70-up)
2) manual trans
3) GEARS! 3.73 standard, optional 4.10
4) twin stripes hood/trunk wrapping over the rear spoiler
5) badges, front grill, trunk panel, side fenders
6) NO ground effects.
7) nice compromise of 19 inch liteweight rims and tires that can be rotated front to rear.
8) MSRP about 33-35k

Rich

1st Camaro memory: Cousin's brand new 1969 Z28 Black w/White stripes...I was 7 and a Camaro fan forever after.Multiple Camaro Owner...Latest 2010 1LT/RS.
rahz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
There isn't going to be a Z28.
GM pretty much said there will be on the chat last night.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just curious on where this hang up is for lightweighting the car. The only thing Lightweight about the original Z28 was that it had a smaller displacement engine that was lighter than the highest HP big blocks, but that was required by the rules for racing. Otherwise it was mostly parts bin stuff.

So I'm just wondering why everyone seems so hung up on having the car be lighter than the car is? That starts to sound like Mustang envy to me.

I'm not sure there was ever a Z28 that had "special" light weight materials or lack of materials over the stock car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's actually Corvette envy......

The early Z/28's did not have lighter parts in them but they were generally lighter due to stock orders being built with very few options. It's extremely rare to find a 67-69 Z/28 "loaded up". Heater and radio delete were also available options which found their way into a few Z cars.

The early cars were not available with automatics and A/C due in part to the nature of the solid lifter engine but this also saved on weight.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #18
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
GM pretty much said there will be on the chat last night.
I heard, but I'll believe it when I see it, at least for the 5th gen. It's been on again off again for at least two years now, and now they have the ZR1. That will make, what, 6 different trim levels? I don't see them adding a 7th, since things like that are a big part of what put them into bankruptcy in the first place.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I think most of you folks know Chevrolet is still considering the Z28. Since we know what the ZL1 is, what would you want the Z28 to be?

Obviously we don't want to see the same car with a different badge so what say you?

My wish list for a 5th gen Z is:

1. No RS - make standard headlights the DRLs. This will allow you to....
2. Remove fog lights. Use that space for real front brake duct work and/or air intake.
3. Functional rear brake cooling ducts.
4. A/C delete (this will drop 100 pounds out of the car). Make it optional.
5. No auto.
6. Drivetrain (tranny back), suspension, brakes and exhaust from the ZL1.
7. Lightest production wheels possible.
8. Track pack option which deletes back seat, all sound insulation, the 50 pounds of caulking, rubber floor mat instead of carpet and light weight racing seats.
9. ZR1 engine is okay but consider the upcoming 5.5.

Bottom line is that I would like to see an all business car.

Moderators can move this thread once a Z28 section is re-created (you are going to need it).

Prettey much have a drag strip car than only. I remember people asking for this on the fourth gen and it got shot down by GM.

By a vette if you want all this.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I heard, but I'll believe it when I see it, at least for the 5th gen. It's been on again off again for at least two years now, and now they have the ZR1. That will make, what, 6 different trim levels? I don't see them adding a 7th, since things like that are a big part of what put them into bankruptcy in the first place.
I disagree. History will treat this camaro team well. They really went to the enthusiasts and history on this one (5th gen) like never before and are delivering products which satisfy our expectations. Z will be part of that.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
pbm457

Drives: 2009 Dodge "Cuda", 2010 Camaro
something that can come damn close to go toe to toe with the Z06 out of the box, and keep it NA!
pbm457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsls3 View Post
Prettey much have a drag strip car than only. I remember people asking for this on the fourth gen and it got shot down by GM.

By a vette if you want all this.
But I don't have any grey hair......
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #23
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
I think most of you folks know Chevrolet is still considering the Z28. Since we know what the ZL1 is, what would you want the Z28 to be?

Obviously we don't want to see the same car with a different badge so what say you?
Think cheap Z06...

An LS7-engined torque monster, full carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber trunk lid, no automatic, no sunroof, no back seats, no sound proofing, no leather, no HIDs, no OnStar... all else would be ZL-1 spec, but with simpler suspension built for the track only, and maybe even lighter wheels, 4 colors only (black, white, red, yellow).

Base Price: $53,000

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
if they did one it would have to be an inexpensive to produce option. My thoughts would lead them toward an ss with a more wild cam and or tune. Suspension tweaks and brake upgrades. I would also see it as a manual only car with a short throw standard. Different wheels an minor tweaks like a graphics package. I wouldn't expect anything to drastic. I would think it would follow closly with Fords BOSS 302.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
I would like to see the Z28 as a performance package available on several trim levels.
1. Delete of several items, like AC and much of the sound insulation.
2. Wheels lighter than any available now.
3. Racing seats
4. Choice of several rear end ratios.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #26
Rip

Quote:
I disagree. History will treat this camaro team well. They really went to the enthusiasts and history on this one (5th gen) like never before and are delivering products which satisfy our expectations. Z will be part of that.

It's possible, but honestly it doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective. Generically, the ZR1 is what everyone assumed the Z28 would be, and honestly really just represents GM playing catch-up to Ford - which was their primary reason for bringing back the Camaro in the first place. Now, they will have a trim level for pretty much every realistic price range for the 5th gen. Any new factory trim level is therefore going to be in competition with an already existing one, anything above that would put it in competition with the Vette. This is part of what got them into bankruptcy in the first place, so it is certainly possible that they will do it again. I just don't believe they will.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just curious on where this hang up is for lightweighting the car. The only thing Lightweight about the original Z28 was that it had a smaller displacement engine that was lighter than the highest HP big blocks, but that was required by the rules for racing. Otherwise it was mostly parts bin stuff.

So I'm just wondering why everyone seems so hung up on having the car be lighter than the car is? That starts to sound like Mustang envy to me.

I'm not sure there was ever a Z28 that had "special" light weight materials or lack of materials over the stock car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
To me shaving weight is like adding hp and torque. Plus the benefit in a production car of better fuel economy and handling.

No the Z28 did not have special light weight materials, but in Gen 1 you could pick and choose almost every detail if you wanted. And yes I know that not economically feasible any more.

I'm far from a Mustang person, but Ford has allot going for them in the GT 350 & Boss 302 as far as options.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 02-10-2011 at 12:33 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
if they did one it would have to be an inexpensive to produce option. My thoughts would lead them toward an ss with a more wild cam and or tune. Suspension tweaks and brake upgrades. I would also see it as a manual only car with a short throw standard. Different wheels an minor tweaks like a graphics package. I wouldn't expect anything to drastic. I would think it would follow closly with Fords BOSS 302.

This I could agree with, no way it's going to be anything more than some minor tweaks and different badging. The problem with this, though, is that it's not going to be enough to make anyone that already owns a 5th gen be willing to take a bath on their current car in order to upgrade to a Z28, so their target market is going to be those that have considered and already rejected purchasing a 5th gen. I'm not sure that even those small changes would be cost effective in that respect.