Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
2cnd, don't get too hung up on, or put too-too much em-PHA-sis on the wrong sy-LAB-le, in all this rhetoric. The lead-in for the 1LE states, and I quote, “The Camaro 1LE concept is all about the track,” said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for the Camaro. “It’s an all-out race car package that pays tribute to that special option from the past.”

What they have on display is NOT the SSX, which is the closest they've got to "all-out race car package" (MR-excluded) that you'll NEVER buy off a Chevy showroom floor.

Is there a case for the 1LE? Likely.

Is it, fully, a "Z/28"? Not quite, in MY mind...

...but it's pretty damned close...just a little more "boil" in the boiler room, pleaZe!

Those 3 magic alpha-numerics, in my sig, would do jus' fine!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Just get a 1LE, slap some Z/28 badges on it and call it day.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #31
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Just get a 1LE, slap some Z/28 badges on it and call it day.
Epic Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
If they don't build a 5th Gen Z28 and do build a 1LE I may buy one and add an LS7 and badge it a Z28 myself!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I hope I don't strike any nerves....

But I'm sincerely wondering why some of us are restricting all Camaro history to the first generation cars when discussing the "should's and shouldn'ts of a Z28?

It is 2011, guys...Why couldn't the Z28 represent a modern take on its lineage through the 1LE package as-is....

*donning flame suit*
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

The 5th Gen is a reinterpretation of the 1st, hence the comparisons. Also the 2cnd Gen was the beginning of the theory that stickers make it faster.

Mainly why settle GM obviously doesn't.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 5th Gen is a reinterpretation of the 1st.
Only in design...and even there it borrowed from all generations...that's why I've always been confused why some (not necessarily anyone here) Camaro enthusiasts believe the first gens were the only "real Camaros" Seems mistaken to pigeon-hole the 5th gen like that, to me...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

But I'm sincerely wondering why some of us are restricting all Camaro history to the first generation cars when discussing the "should's and shouldn'ts of a Z28?

It is 2011, guys...Why couldn't the Z28 represent a modern take on its lineage through the 1LE package as-is....

*donning flame suit*
If the 1LE were renamed the Z28, or if we found out that they'll be offering it as an option package on the SS I think I'd be satisfied. But I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Z28 with a good conventional suspension, a few ZL1 bits like brakes & tires, and an engine making power between the SS and the ZL1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #37
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

*donning flame suit*
I just don't think the 1LE "as is" is quite a complete enough package to be this generations representative for a Z/28. The 1LE is a nice package but I think it needs more engine to be exactly right. And that's based on my honest feelings, not on other generations of the Camaro.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If the 1LE were renamed the Z28, or if we found out that they'll be offering it as an option package on the SS I think I'd be satisfied. But I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Z28 with a good conventional suspension, a few ZL1 bits like brakes & tires, and an engine making power between the SS and the ZL1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I just don't think the 1LE "as is" is quite a complete enough package to be this generations representative for a Z/28. The 1LE is a nice package but I think it needs more engine to be exactly right. And that's based on my honest feelings, not on other generations of the Camaro.
Clyde
These were the kinds of answers I was hoping to get. I read a lot of "The original Z/28 was this...." or "The intent of the first Z/28 was this...." And I'm thinking....that's all well and good, but...what about the other 20+ years of Z28? And what does today's buyer want versus the late 60s?

I think sometimes we get lost in the past when working with these nostalgic names. Thank heavens the people who pulled the Camaro together in 2006 were who they are...What a wonderful job they did making a car for 2010 that remembers where it came from.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #39
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Clyde

I have a first gen. and would love to have an early second gen.

A friend at the fire department has a 1985 IROC he's wanting to sell. If I had the room and didn't love my wife I would buy the IROC.

A fifth gen. Z/28 is just to easy of a built for G.M. and hopefully we'll have one soon.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I believe it's been covered many times in these threads.

Simply put I'm looking for a 1LE with more power. 475 plus would be fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I have been a "banner carrier" for a "proper" (MY definition!) ZEE since forever...and my personal reasoning for a "conventional suspension" (or, as I called it, "enhanced FE4") was the co$t$ saved could then be used to upgrade the LS3 to "heavy artillery" status: LS7. So...

1) I see "room at the inn" for BOTH an SS-1LE AND a Z/28...just like you have two price points for the so-called BOSS...which suddenly must be quivering just a lil bit at the possibility of going back to an hourly rate!

2) MRC vs. Enhanced FE4: I'd say the jury has spoken...and the Team is certainly the final jury. Last year we had the SSX to think about and react to; this year we have the 1LE to munch on. 1LE is certainly more likely, and more quickly, to be Oshawa-buildable...and more saleable and in greater volumes...than the back-seatless SSX.

However, there IS, from a purist and budgetary point of view, something quite compelling (at least for me) about the SSX's "racy" suspension... From a GMPP point of view, more folks would be likely to consider the cost and job of upgrading to an SSX-type suspension system, than would consider the complexity and probable co$t of an MRC refit...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Lowdown I as well still hope that an LS7 ends up in a Z28.