Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
SUPERCHIPS?

Hey All,

Could someone take the time to tell me whether or not I should get a "SuperChip" or handheld tuner? Are these things total BS or no? I'm not out to go crazy, my 2012 SS/RS M6 has stock exhaust manifolds.... High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back, and Airaid CAI. But if I could legitimately get 10 hp/tq for a $300 simple contraption...I will. Thanks for the help!

Ralphy D.

Right now
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
You will lose your warranty if you use it so if that is something you want to keep then I suggest no. But if you don't care and want some extra power then it's worth it.
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
IMO if you're going to tune do it right and get a tune from Trifecta.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdphish73 View Post
Hey All,

Could someone take the time to tell me whether or not I should get a "SuperChip" or handheld tuner? Are these things total BS or no? I'm not out to go crazy, my 2012 SS/RS M6 has stock exhaust manifolds.... High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back, and Airaid CAI. But if I could legitimately get 10 hp/tq for a $300 simple contraption...I will. Thanks for the help!

Ralphy D.

Right now
Don't waste your time and money on superchips. Buy a tuner from Jannetty Racing with a custom tune. You will NOT regret it.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
a chip ?? those are from back in the day. Every once in a while people ask me "you have a 350 under the hood?" "gotta a chip in there?" didnt think they still made them .. lol
to answer your question ... get the car eprofessionally tuned its worth the extra money
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you really want to tune I'd highly advise against a "chip". Get something custom to your car and mods
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Superchips is still a handheld tuner, they don't actually swap out chips. I agree as well if you are going to tune it Jannetty Racing or on dyno tuning if available. If you had an auto you would see a big improvement (mostly trans), but with your mods and being manual it isn't going to a real windfall of performance.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
All the "chips" I've seen are bogus....get a tune; keeping in mind your dealer may not honor your drivetrain warranty depending on the issue.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdphish73 View Post
Hey All,

Ralphy D.

Right now
Superchips is a Fine Product if your car were 100% stock, but is it not.

The Airaid makes the car 8-10% lean so it Really needs a Custom tune to correct that and take full advantage of the Airaid.

Custom tuning locally can cost upwards of 500.00 and you leave with nothing but a tune and no way to return to stock or check the tune via logging.

With JRE you purchase an SCT Tuner and get the Custom Tune for Your Listed Mods FREE.

At 100.00 savings you own a Very Powerful Tool to keep in your glove box, it stores the stock tune file for returning to stock, it can read and clear code, it can be used as an interface between a laptop and your car for Datalogging Every possible sensor in the car.

When you purchase your Next Upgrade from JRE Tune update for those parts are FREE.

A Program that saves you potentially Thousands of Dollars and gets you World Class Tuning with the push of a button.

If you have any further questions post them here or contact me via email.

Thanks for reading

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
I literally updated my JRE SCT tune today, all i have to say is if you dont do the JRE tune.....you messed up.
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote