Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
Having Difficulty Hardwiring Dashcam

So I've had a dashcam I've been trying to hardwire for too long now.

This is my hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IHGP69UFE&th=1

It's a 2011 V6.

The issue I'm having is there are only 2 fuses (in the entire car?) that are hot only when in accessory mode. Everything else is always hot. I don't want the dashcam killing the battery, I have enough battery trouble as is in the cold.

Of these 2 fuses, both have massive relays next to them, making said hardware impossible to fit in place. (Instrument panel box, F17 and F18).

Is there some workaround for this? Am I missing something plain as day here? (likely).

I'm under the impression this job is a no brainer and requires no wire cutting or soldering, why do I feel like that's my only option?
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
murf24

Drives: 2012 RS
You are not missing anything obvious. I had this same issue. My solution was to extend the contacts on the adapter by cutting up a fuse and soldering the contacts from the fuse to the adapter. If this doesn't seem to work in your case, I do know there is switched power under the console that runs back to feed the USB port. You could tap into that.
murf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
GhostOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf24 View Post
You are not missing anything obvious. I had this same issue. My solution was to extend the contacts on the adapter by cutting up a fuse and soldering the contacts from the fuse to the adapter. If this doesn't seem to work in your case, I do know there is switched power under the console that runs back to feed the USB port. You could tap into that.
Define tap in?
Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Define tap in?
Cut the wire in half... then attach the power from your cam to one half... then reconnect the wires you cut with a butt connector.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
GhostOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Cut the wire in half... then attach the power from your cam to one half... then reconnect the wires you cut with a butt connector.
Wanted to avoid, if possible, cutting in. Was hoping there was just a lower profile wire tap or another fuse I could use.

All the trunk fuses are 'always hot' and the 'spares' aren't actually functional spares, they're just empty housings.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I used a small add a fuse adapter from Advanced auto to hardwire my radar/laser detector. It fit, very tight though.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Instrument panel fuse block F17 and F18 are 20amp fuses for the 12v power outlets and are only hot when ignition is on. Use an add a circuit to tap one of these fuses. Much easier and better than hacking wires. Hope this helps!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
GhostOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
Instrument panel fuse block F17 and F18 are 20amp fuses for the 12v power outlets and are only hot when ignition is on. Use an add a circuit to tap one of these fuses. Much easier and better than hacking wires. Hope this helps!
I explained exactly why this isn’t working in my original post.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
GhostOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I used a small add a fuse adapter from Advanced auto to hardwire my radar/laser detector. It fit, very tight though.
Is the add a fuse you used the same one I linked? Or do you have a smaller profile unit?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Your best shot is to solder into the power point wires.

Butt connectors are quick and dirty. They don't last long. Soldering can outlast the vehicle.

You don't have to cut the wires. Use a manual wire stripper to cut through the insulation at two places ~1/2 inch apart. If you don't have a wire stripper you can use an Exacto knife to cut a circumference in the insulation.
Take the Exacto knife to slice the insulation between the two points and peel it off.
Do not line up the stripped insulation on the black and red wires. Offset them so they won't come in contact with each other if (when) the electrical tape you cover them with wears through.
Cut one wire shorter than the other to match the offset you have on the stripped portion of the wires.
Tin the wires. Wrap the hot around the red and complete the solder. Do the same with the black. Cover them with electrical tape.

Voila! You now have a connection that will last until the wires rot.

If you are really dead set against soldering there are cable clamps available, but they are bulky and not cheap. Insulating them is a challenge.

One consolation to soldering on the wires to the power point is that a replacement power point can be purchased and installed and no one will ever know the wiring had been modified.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #11
GhostOutlaw

You can expect some PMs, lol.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
You can expect some PMs, lol.
Okay.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
The add a fuse fits in one of the power adapter fuse spots, but not the other one. Can't remember if it was F17 or F18. My radar detector was hardwired in both my '10 SS and '13 ZL1 this way.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Is the add a fuse you used the same one I linked? Or do you have a smaller profile unit?
That's the same one I used. It will fit, it is just tight. You almost have to force it in.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote