Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It used to be that a high-performance Camaro pulled out of the garage and raised hell in the streets. So many are limited to garage queens.
Great way to enter this conversation where most everyone is driving their Z/28s.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #30
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I'm sure it's a thrill to drive an $80,000 track car on the street but the fact is, you're wasting your money if that's what you buy the current Z28 to do-and I'm OK with that if you can afford it but, you can't use its full capability on the street so, why pay up for it?
You can't even use the full capability of an LS or LT on the street.

Tire life aside, I can't see much reason why you wouldn't want to drive it on the streets if you wanted it badly enough to buy it in the first place. Maybe the topic's title is just another case of "if you have to ask . . . ".

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #31
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Went down to Popeyes today in the Z/28 to pickup some tasty chicken to bring to the wife for lunch, and the rest home for me. A very enjoyable 40 minute errand. The only "downside" as Macalot noted above, is that it is tough not to get sidelined by people wanting to look and ask questions. I was hungry man, no time to chit chat :-)

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #32
Zslash28
Jumanji

In the rain, FTW!!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #33
Abundant Meat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
I've been making up reasons to drive this car because it is such a blast. If I were single, no problem driving this thing every day. I need to find some pics of baby seats to convince my wife it is safe to take my son to day care in the mornings. It's all In how you drive it and respect it.
I've got two car seats in the back of mine. People would laugh when I would show up at the track with two empty car seats. Being a Dad doesn't mean you have to drive a dorky car.

The only thing that wouldn't work is rear facing car seats. They have to be old enough for the seat to face forward.

Refer to this post for your wifes approval....you're welcome!
Abundant Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #34
Zslash28
Jumanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundant Meat View Post
I've got two car seats in the back of mine. People would laugh when I would show up at the track with two empty car seats. Being a Dad doesn't mean you have to drive a dorky car.

The only thing that wouldn't work is rear facing car seats. They have to be old enough for the seat to face forward.

Refer to this post for your wifes approval....you're welcome!
LOL, I certainly will. Her reasoning is that she doesn't fell comfortable driving the car, which was a 5 minute circle in a parking lot the other weekend. So I have my work cut out for me before my son's car seat goes into the Z/28. I don't mind driving the Pilot or CR-V.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #35
Zfatuated

A lot of stereotypes and uninformed misconceptions being blown out of the water in this thread. That's a beautiful thing.

Other thread points out the high dependability and 5-star crash ratings of the Camaro. Combine with the ability to carry a month of groceries for a family of 10 in the trunk, with race car driving experience and you have...the performance car value of the decade (as I've stated several times before).

Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
Zfatuated

Quote:

In the rain, FTW!!

Lovely

Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #37
soulsea

Drives: Fast
I noticed how far you're parked from the curb Z ... I guess we all learn after the first time we spear it.
soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
LOL, I certainly will. Her reasoning is that she doesn't fell comfortable driving the car, which was a 5 minute circle in a parking lot the other weekend. So I have my work cut out for me before my son's car seat goes into the Z/28. I don't mind driving the Pilot or CR-V.
I expect no less than to see the three of you a week from Sunday, and only one of your vehicles.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #39
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I noticed how far you're parked from the curb Z ... I guess we all learn after the first time we spear it.
I haven't speared anything, yet. Well, unless you count shoveling up some gravel leaving a cup of gravel on top of the splitter.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #40
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Right on! Could not agree more. 3200 miles on mine now, unfortunately only ~500 are track. I DD my Z/28 every chance I get and I've loved every mile. Like driving a car carved from a single piece of billet.

Let's set one fact straight- the splitter is NOT A PROBLEM for street driving. I have a 15 degree up-sloped driveway and I crab it in, and IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Around town I have NEVER scraped the splitter. I do rub the splitter on the way out of my driveway and I DON'T CARE because #1 I could give a rat's azz, it's a PIECE OF PLASTIC #2 when I eventually rub it to death in 10 or 15 years I'll spend $300 on a new one. The splitter is tough as nails, you can stand on it and park by braille all the time with no problems. Get over it already you bubble-wrapping babies.

You want a splitter that rubs all the time and is $ to replace, drive a Porsche GT3, that'll give you something to complain about.
To Date i have only scraped the splitter one time going out a drive way i know not to go in, but it was sale, it did no damage to the splitter, we added the parts form a member on here that go under the splitter so that gets scraped not the splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBR View Post
Really, you have to write this? That the Z is a good DD? Errrrr, just when I thought I talked myself out of one. Would change the tires probably, maybe, ???
IMO if you can afford to go get this car, its a fun car to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It used to be that a high-performance Camaro pulled out of the garage and raised hell in the streets. So many are limited to garage queens.
Drove it to SEMA this week, so thats 2X 250Mi in 1 week in the car.

Quote:

In the rain, FTW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Any one that has a long front splitter does that.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #41
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
When they first announced firm intentions to produce a 5th Gen Z28, I thought it would surely be my next new car. Unfortunately, my finances just couldn't keep up with my desires. I really enjoyed your daily driver review and wish you great luck and continued appreciation for one of the finest road cars in the world.

I love my Grand Sport Vette and have just started modding it to get it where I want it to be, but I feel the same about driving it as you do the Z. Congrats on your daily driver!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #42
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
saw a z/28 in the wild today, no garage queen it was dirty like it had been driven which was nice to see. First one I have seen, it was in Modesto, CA