Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Thumbs up The Great Satellite Radio Rip-Off

I've had XM on and off over the years as I got my new vehicles, but I never renewed my subscriptions.

Why?

Satellite radio was supposed to be commercial free, remember? Remember all the ads... "Uncensored... Commercial Free... XM!!!"?

During those 3 months of free trial, I heard more commericals on satellite than on my local FM and AM stations. Now, with the new digital hi-def transmitters being used by FM and AM stations for free, who needs $15 a month satellite?
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
FirstCamaro2k10

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro LS
All the stations i listen to, are commercial free, and i love XM.
FirstCamaro2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I listen to severael stations (Classis Rewind, Boneyard, Hair Nation, Lithium, Octane) with no commercial interruption. The DJ's will sometimes talk too much, but no commercials. I've always had Sirius, new to XM - not liking their customer service much at all, I must say.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
I guess it depends on the station (commercial free or not). I currently switch between Blue Collar Radio and Raw Dog. Both have plenty of commercials. None of the stations that I've listened to for any length of time were commercial free.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post

During those 3 months of free trial, I heard more commericals on satellite than on my local FM and AM stations.

Um, that's complete bullshit and you know it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
I have never had satellite radio before so I am having a tough time with some issues.
First, the XM cuts in and out when I just drive under some trees that have branches that partially overhang the street, I can still see sky through the trees so it's not like a tunnel. FM does not cut out....normal???, I don't know.
Second, no matter what I do with my stereo settings XM sounds like it's really flat and not in stereo, I have the BA stereo and I can adjust the stereo in CD and FM mode to sound great but, not XM........normal???, I don't know.

At this point why would I ever pay for service that sounds flat and cuts out so often.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
My XM trial period just quietly expired a few days ago. No pressure sales or automatic unauthorized renewals on my credit card so far. I wasn't using it at all.
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
2002b4c

Drives: 2001 Camaro B4C, 2011 Camaro SS
I travel a lot. I get a lot of enjoyment from XM. I have a car kit in three cars,my motorhome and have a boombox. I just move the receiver to what I am driving.

Sports, Nascar, news, great music. I have not listened to "regular" radio in years. The five or so music stations I listen to have no commercials.
2002b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
I'll concede the fact that if I drove a truck for a living again, I'd probably get XM. It's hard to find the Old Time Radio plays on AM at night without a bunch of static.

But for my vehicles, my Zune and radio stations are good enough for me. They don't fade out when it's cloudy or when I get aorund buildings or lose their signal all together.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I have never heard a commercial and I've had Sirius for about 5 years now.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
I have never had satellite radio before so I am having a tough time with some issues.
First, the XM cuts in and out when I just drive under some trees that have branches that partially overhang the street, I can still see sky through the trees so it's not like a tunnel. FM does not cut out....normal???, I don't know.
Second, no matter what I do with my stereo settings XM sounds like it's really flat and not in stereo, I have the BA stereo and I can adjust the stereo in CD and FM mode to sound great but, not XM........normal???, I don't know.

At this point why would I ever pay for service that sounds flat and cuts out so often.
To solve the cutout issue get a Sirius radio/antenna.

A brief explanation: When XM launched their satellites (Rock & Roll) they put them in orbit so low that the satellites don't cover all areas of the country well. To alleviate this problem the put up hundreds of towers (over 200) as repeaters to relay the XM signal to places that aren't covered by the satellites. Unfortunately that means that if your signal is off of the repeaters it will get blocked by vertical obstacles (trees/buildings...).

The Sirius satellites are much higher in orbit so they cover the country well (Sirius only has 11 repeaters) so if you are using a Sirius antenna and have a clear view of the sky you should not have any issues.

Now, as for the OPs comment. The music stations do not have commercials on satellite radio. But when you listen to talk radio you will get some commercials (though not nearly as many as terrestrial radio). These commercials are as much to give the talk show host a break as they are to make a little extra money.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Don't understand XM radio threads

If you don't like it, nobody is holding a gun to your head. If you do, get the best deal you can. There are more important things to whine about
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
To solve the cutout issue get a Sirius radio/antenna.

A brief explanation: When XM launched their satellites (Rock & Roll) they put them in orbit so low that the satellites don't cover all areas of the country well. To alleviate this problem the put up hundreds of towers (over 200) as repeaters to relay the XM signal to places that aren't covered by the satellites. Unfortunately that means that if your signal is off of the repeaters it will get blocked by vertical obstacles (trees/buildings...).

The Sirius satellites are much higher in orbit so they cover the country well (Sirius only has 11 repeaters) so if you are using a Sirius antenna and have a clear view of the sky you should not have any issues.

Now, as for the OPs comment. The music stations do not have commercials on satellite radio. But when you listen to talk radio you will get some commercials (though not nearly as many as terrestrial radio). These commercials are as much to give the talk show host a break as they are to make a little extra money.
Thanks for the explanation.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I hear more DJ chatter than I like on some stations, but I haven't heard much advertising. I'll look out for it more attentively and try to report back.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote