Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
First, have you tried just deleting the partition and recreating it. Barring that, some disk manufacturers have a utility that can effectively restore the drive to original format. Not all, but some.

The drive could have gone bad for a variety of reasons including bad sectors...a physical problem that can be bad if it hits the file tables. I'm not anti Linux, but Windows can cause problems with the OS, but not the drive itself. That kind of thing can happen regardless of OS. Now, can Windows get corrupt (The OS & Boot sectors)? Of course. So can Linux. And that just means repartitioning and reinstalling the OS.

Windows, Linus...both have ways of deleting any partitions on the drive and recreating them. When you do that, the OS goes away...and your data. So this is why you always want backups on a different drive (such as a DVD/Blu-Ray) so that if you have bad sectors or drive damage (such as being dropped), you can still flatten the machine and reload the OS and get YOUR data back.

Pet peeve of mine is business' that don't back up data. I've seen companies go under far too often because of incompetent IT.

lol...

you would love my company (I'm the CIO BTW)

everything in the network that is attached (be it desktops, servers, NAS, drives, etc) gets backed up nightly to an 8TB NAS, then gets copied to a second 8TB NAS where a split is done, profiles (desktops/workstations) are backed up to the cloud and the Servers (email, sql, sharepoint, file, etc) gets written to tape (Ultrium 4 1.6tb per tape) in a 16 tape shuttle, and taken offsite.

I got tired of end users not saving their crap on the network drives and keeping it in "My Docs" because they are too lazy (or stupid) to change the save location, so I just do it all..

Then I pull the magic Mr. Scotty trick when they need a file restored, because company policy says DO NOT SAVE TO LOCAL COMPUTER. So I let them sweat it out for awhile then pull a miracle and "find" it..

My backup solution is intense, takes about 4 hours to do the first run, which is done when everyone is gone, then another 4-6 to do the copy and split, then 12-16 hours to tape.

The advantage though is the first run to disc is pretty quick and doesn't really affect the end-users, and then the rest is all behind the scenes as not to affect network performance.

Oh yeah and the SQL and Email servers run a transaction log backup bi-hourly to another NAS server..

I have 5 8 TB NAS containers here, Hard Drives are cheap for the most part, so I have hot swap drives for everything, sitting here on 32 brand new drives that have only been installed to set up the hot swap, and then re-boxed and labled for each server..

When a HDD fails here, downtime has been less than 30 minutes.

overkill? yes, but I have a 99.8% network uptime and a 100% file recovery record over the past 7 years. So this works for me.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
lol...

you would love my company (I'm the CIO BTW)

everything in the network that is attached (be it desktops, servers, NAS, drives, etc) gets backed up nightly to an 8TB NAS, then gets copied to a second 8TB NAS where a split is done, profiles (desktops/workstations) are backed up to the cloud and the Servers (email, sql, sharepoint, file, etc) gets written to tape (Ultrium 4 1.6tb per tape) in a 16 tape shuttle, and taken offsite.

I got tired of end users not saving their crap on the network drives and keeping it in "My Docs" because they are too lazy (or stupid) to change the save location, so I just do it all..

Then I pull the magic Mr. Scotty trick when they need a file restored, because company policy says DO NOT SAVE TO LOCAL COMPUTER. So I let them sweat it out for awhile then pull a miracle and "find" it..

My backup solution is intense, takes about 4 hours to do the first run, which is done when everyone is gone, then another 4-6 to do the copy and split, then 12-16 hours to tape.

The advantage though is the first run to disc is pretty quick and doesn't really affect the end-users, and then the rest is all behind the scenes as not to affect network performance.

Oh yeah and the SQL and Email servers run a transaction log backup bi-hourly to another NAS server..

I have 5 8 TB NAS containers here, Hard Drives are cheap for the most part, so I have hot swap drives for everything, sitting here on 32 brand new drives that have only been installed to set up the hot swap, and then re-boxed and labled for each server..

When a HDD fails here, downtime has been less than 30 minutes.

overkill? yes, but I have a 99.8% network uptime and a 100% file recovery record over the past 7 years. So this works for me.
There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to backing up data
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to backing up data

especially when not having it can mean your job..
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote