Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
SSlim

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 1SS/RS A6
Whipple belt rub?

Getting a burning rubber smell (that is progressively getting worse) when I get in high rpm range and have black dust/rubber bits on the pulley and tensioner. So I am thinking I either have belt rub or belt slip. Leaning towards rub right now. So correct me if I am wrong but the tensioner and belt will actually move in (towards the driver side) under load correct? Till basically the groove sides rub?

First thought is belt has either stretched or I actually need shorter belt. I went down like a half in. in belt length after one of the pulley swaps but don't remember exactly which one. I have a new belt of the same size in the tool box so figure try that first before going shorter. With that being said can I/should I consider moving the lower idler pulley over? More out (towards the pass side)? In theory that should create a little more separation between the belt correct?
Whipple, GT9 cam, LS3 conversion, ZL1 pistons, ZL1 rods, Circle D converter, Stage 3 trans, Tuned by Pat G, CAI inc, TPS headers, posi mod, Dynomax bullet cat back, VMAX TB, ADM Scoop, RX catch can, Eibach prokit plus, Eurotek Mesh 33 wheels, P13w DRLs, Pioneer/Massive Audio/Vibe/JL interior goodies.
613 RWHP/596 TQ
SSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
not sure if this helps....the red line on my tensioner is for reference. I use it to monitor belt stretch.

This photo was taken with the 4.00 pulley installed.

When we switched to the 3.625 pulley, the marks were completely off with the belt that was used with the 4.000. After putting the correct belt on, the marks lined back up.

You could use this as a reference to see if your belt has stretched.
Attached Images

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
VASTREETRACER

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE on order
What size belt did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
not sure if this helps....the red line on my tensioner is for reference. I use it to monitor belt stretch.

This photo was taken with the 4.00 pulley installed.

When we switched to the 3.625 pulley, the marks were completely off with the belt that was used with the 4.000. After putting the correct belt on, the marks lined back up.

You could use this as a reference to see if your belt has stretched.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Your belt will stretch and rub, I had the same problem. You have 2 sliding idler pulleys that you adjust to keep your belt under correct tension.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Speedfreak391
One man Army

Drives: 1987 Iroc Players car
You ma also want to check the alignment of the pulleys. I had to shim both of my tensioner pulleys. Now all is good!

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS with a K&N cold air Stainless Power headers, Magnaflow cat-back, staggered TSW Nurburgring's just a great daily driver.
Speedfreak391 is offline   Reply With Quote