Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
on the gmpp site, the MSRP says $300. Which is it?
380.00 dealer installed
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
JohnyCamaro (aka: John Cox from GMPP) spoke to us and his word IS as good as gold.

Can you get the white ball or T-Handle? I DO recall reading somewhere that this was available through GMPP IF you wanted it over the leather wrapped Hurst shifter.

Is it hard to shift? Honestly, I couldn't say seeing as though we all have not driven the 5th Gen. I will say that in my 4th Gen, I would NEVER go for anything other than the Hurst. Hard to shift in a 4th Gen? HA! Not a chance! The purpose is to make it easier w/ quicker shifts...and I have yet to read a negative comment over this shifter.

For all those contemplating getting a stick, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND ADDING THE HURST.
This is gonna hurt some feelings..........don't shoot the messenger. Just got this from my dealer when he told me I had moved to 3300...........will I wait? HELL NO!! I can add a shifter anytime. Sad it won't be on the sticker right away.

Chevrolet Team:

Just a quick update on the Camaro launch as preparations are underway this week for the first Dealer Order Submission Process (DOSP) for the all new Camaro.

As outlined in this month's consensus notes, the following items will be on constraint:

* V6 Engine (LS and LT models) due to one per dealer activity
* Cyber Gray Metallic and Summit White Exterior Colors (pending paint availability)
* The LPO High Wing Spoiler (pending validation)

An additional constraint will also will be introduced for the Hurst Short Throw Shifter LPO (code VYV). This shifter will NOT be available as a LPO accessory (appearing on the window and invoice as a dealer-installed accessory), but will be available in the future as both a factory installed RPO, and a regular dealer installed accessory. Further information on the timing of Hurst Short Throw Shifter RPO will be provided in the coming weeks.

Since this shifter will be available as a regular dealer installed accessory, orders with the LPO (code VYV) currently "in-system" will be removed. Dealers should also be encouraged to remove this LPO (code VYV) from their orders.

Customers desiring the Hurst Shifter can instruct their dealers to either wait until the new RPO is introduced, or have the shifter installed at the dealer as a Chevy accessory after the parts are released for sale.

Again, more information on the shifter including availability of the new RPO will be provided in the next few weeks.

Finally, we are planning a web-cast broadcast on the Camaro launch the first week of March for wholesale team members only (dealers will have an IDL broadcast at later date). This web-cast will bring you up to date on current plans and activities including the Camaro unveiling for early May. Details on this webex will be provided next week.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #45
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Thanks, I am double constrainted here with the hurst and the CGM, I will have the hurst taken off since I can get that for 218.40 plus shipping. I will wait it out on the CGM though.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #46
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
My brother is a speed shift master since he was 15. Now at 60 races F bodies in competition . Drives 02 Firehawk with stick. Advised me NOT to get this shifter for every day driving.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #47
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
Its not like you are moving a 150 lb rock with your little toe. Guys, as everyone will tell you, these shifters are wonderful. I have commented on here before, but in the 4th gen it totally transformed the car. It was a fairly easy swap, about 1 1/2 hours for me (not a mechanic - just fiddling around) The stock shifter was like rowing a boat. The effort to move the stick was marginally more. The biggest benefit (to me) was in the length of the throw and how it engaged into the gear. The engagement felt so much better and like I was moving steel versus plastic or rubber gears. It looks like this install is a little more complex, but again, I am not technician, it could be real easy.
I agree. I changed the stock shifter for the Hurst in my 4th gen. Took me a little over an hour taking my time. Throws were noticably shorter with very little extra effort. It was much easier to feel the engagement of the gears and missed shifts are almost non-existent now.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #48
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
I agree. I changed the stock shifter for the Hurst in my 4th gen. Took me a little over an hour taking my time. Throws were noticably shorter with very little extra effort. It was much easier to feel the engagement of the gears and missed shifts are almost non-existent now.
same here... well almost. hurst made a shifter for my truck for $240 & i almost bought it (but cash is tight right now). i've pulled my shifter apart & it's a relatively easy job (granted i have a little more space than a camaro). i want it so i don't have to worry as much about missing shifts (3rd can be a real pain sometimes, but it got better after i pulled it out & reinstalled it) that & with a shorter throw, it'll be much easier to drive with somebody in the middle
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #49
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
My brother is a speed shift master since he was 15. Now at 60 races F bodies in competition . Drives 02 Firehawk with stick. Advised me NOT to get this shifter for every day driving.
Is that it? Did he say why? Everyone else loves them, everyday driving or not. I've had one in my 2005 Mustang GT for over 3 years, drive it every day, and love it. What's supposed to be the problem?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #50
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
He has been a pilot since 17, is an Instructor of Aircraft Maintenance at a trade school and races GM . Most competitive and determined person I know.

He used to speed shift my mothers 52 Chevy 3 on the tree before he got a licence . A real talent with clutch less shifts too.

He said he put one in his race car and took it out. Too much attention to the shifter when he had lots of other shit to worry about at 120 MPH AND CARS ALL AROUND HIM.........it slowed him down.

He said it would give my wife grief and she has raced Corvettes in slalom and only drives stick.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #51
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty

DESCRIPTION: 2010 Camaro V-8 Short shifter

V-8 (LS3) Short-Throw Shifter Kit

A greater feeling of control comes with a precise, quick-acting shifter. GM Performance Parts’ short-throw shifter kits for both V-6 and V-8 models deliver sharper and quicker throws between gears, enabling you to keep the engine’s revs right where you want them for optimal performance.

GM worked with legendary shifter manufacturer HurstŪ to develop the kits, so they complement great performance with classic styling. The kits include all necessary hardware and detailed instructions.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #52
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
It will look similar to the stock shifter only shorter.

Click on one of the cars, then Hurst shifter for pic and price.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/se...o_sitelet.html
I don't think it will be any shorter. Short throw doesn't mean the shifter is any shorter, rather it means the movement of shifting will be shorter. I would think the hurst and the stock shifter will be the same height!
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #53
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Camaro Scotty: will GM automatically change your order from the Hurst shifter to the stock shifter or should anyone concerned contact their dealer and make a change? Especially so if they are the next in line or maybe at the 2005 event status code? Thanks.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #54
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
It will correct itself.... I think there's much more information regarding what was posted. This is an item that will be clarified soon.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #55
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
It will correct itself.... I think there's much more information regarding what was posted. This is an item that will be clarified soon.
Great relief - thank you!
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #56
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
I'm trusting you Scotty, its taking everything in me from calling my dealer and having him pull VYV from my order. If it means my car will come sooner I'll install the damn thing myself. I ordered 10/13 and I don't think my code even changed yet from 1100!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote