Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #421
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
Z, any new news? Are you going to take the car anywhere over the holiday weekend??

As always, thanks,
No plans. Still haven't been able to work out the Tune. Now the base boost (5 psi) is running to rich. It may be a MAF issue. I'm working with STS and Trifecta on resolving this issue. I did add the high flow cats over the weekend (Solo). Sounded a little smoother it that makes sense. I already don't have mufflers so its pretty loud. Hopefully we get this worked out soon and I can log some 0-60 mphs.

Last edited by Z Madness; 09-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #422
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Has anyone thought of using E85 for fuel? It would cool the charge and I would think be able to run more boost! Check out this link: www.raceone85.com
Where do I go on or how do I put an add on Camaro5 for advertising for the sales and installations of STS turbo systems. Can anyone tell me?
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #423
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Has anyone thought of using E85 for fuel? It would cool the charge and I would think be able to run more boost! Check out this link: www.raceone85.com
Where do I go on or how do I put an add on Camaro5 for advertising for the sales and installations of STS turbo systems. Can anyone tell me?
I'd actually thought of it, but my questions come from would the injectors know how much fuel to inject or are they set to flow a set amount. If they are at a set amount I think you would run this engine dangerously lean. On carb set-ups running alcohol the jets have to be increased a large amount over what a normal unleaded fuel. The alcohol has a higher "octane" rating but it produces less energy per equal amount of even 87 octane. That's why when the flex-fuel vehicles run e85 they get quite a bit less gas mileage. The car recognizes the change and injects more fuel.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #424
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Z - with the tune, are the issues because you want to run a tune that will compensate for 2 boost levels, one with the meth (higher boost) and one without (stock boost)?

would it be easier to set the tune for normal boost levels like you had it before, then run a complelty seperate stand alone fuel controller with its own pump and a seperate single injector plumbed into the intake to get the added fuel required to run the higer boost. it sounds complicated and expensive, i dont even know if it can be done, i was just wondering if it was a viable option for running higher boost.
with my last car, when others went to a considerably larger turbo, they were adding injectors to the intake piping for more fuel to compensate for the added boost. they had a seperate controller for those injectors (i think they were using the greddy e-manage ultimate).

by the sounds of it, 350 to the wheels is not enough. is it possible to tune it to run 7psi all the time or does it need more fuel at that pressure?

sorry for the confusing post, i am just brain storming.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #425
Z Madness

Good questions and that's why I joined this forum, for the information sharing so thanks for sharing. After discussions with Trifecta and STS, it was determined that it is not a fuel issue. My first thought was the same thing, not enough fuel to keep up with the boost. However, it was discovered by Trifecta that the ECM is not providing the right data based on the airflow read by the MAF so the computer moves into a "safe/limp" mode until the readings come back into range. Both STS and Trifecta believe that the current fuel injectors are capable to flow enough for the boost that I want to run. I was just sent a new tune so I'll be trying it out tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.

As far as 2 tunes, I should only need to run 1 tune. I know that N20 (e.g. Rod1) needed two separate tunes, however since the turbo is really just increasing the airflow, a single tune should be sufficient. At least that's what is expected right now.

I know its been said but Trifecta has been terrific to work with. The data logger has allowed the "mail order tune" process to work really well (actually e-mail). I currently have a Diablo Predator for my LS1 but will be purchasing a tune from Trifecta as I am sure he can tune the ECM much better than I can with the handheld Predator.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #426
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Good questions and that's why I joined this forum, for the information sharing so thanks for sharing. After discussions with Trifecta and STS, it was determined that it is not a fuel issue. My first thought was the same thing, not enough fuel to keep up with the boost. However, it was discovered by Trifecta that the ECM is not providing the right data based on the airflow read by the MAF so the computer moves into a "safe/limp" mode until the readings come back into range. Both STS and Trifecta believe that the current fuel injectors are capable to flow enough for the boost that I want to run. I was just sent a new tune so I'll be trying it out tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.

As far as 2 tunes, I should only need to run 1 tune. I know that N20 (e.g. Rod1) needed two separate tunes, however since the turbo is really just increasing the airflow, a single tune should be sufficient. At least that's what is expected right now.

I know its been said but Trifecta has been terrific to work with. The data logger has allowed the "mail order tune" process to work really well (actually e-mail). I currently have a Diablo Predator for my LS1 but will be purchasing a tune from Trifecta as I am sure he can tune the ECM much better than I can with the handheld Predator.
What's the diameter on your MAF housing?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #427
Z Madness

Scrming, I'll have to double check but I want to say 3". Do you have some ideas?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #428
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Scrming, I'll have to double check but I want to say 3". Do you have some ideas?
So IIRC that would be pretty close to stock... wonder if you are maxing out your MAF sensor... on the Stang when we put the Vortech on the MAF housing went from stock 2.5 to like 4 inch... must FI kits that I know end up with larger MAF housing...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #429
Z Madness

That was my concern too but both Trifecta and STS think that the MAF is fine however, STS is looking at some air straighteners to see if that helps.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #430
Rdditten

I have an STS kit coming. Will dyno the car before installation, get some drag strip times and then do the same after. Next week is the finals for the street tire shootout. If I can't make that then test and tune after.
Hope to get it all done before the snow gets here. Michigan you never know.
I have a second kit available.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #431
Z Madness

Awesome. Everyone is looking forward to the 1/4 times. Are you just going with the base kit for now?

Last edited by Z Madness; 09-05-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #432
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
I have an STS kit coming. Will dyno the car before installation, get some drag strip times and then do the same after. Next week is the finals for the street tire shootout. If I can't make that then test and tune after.
Hope to get it all done before the snow gets here. Michigan you never know.
I have a second kit available.
Very cool Rich!!! Really looking forward to this! Let me know when you'll be heading to the track... BTW, Lapeer is open to November 28th! LOL
Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #433
Rdditten

Its the base kit with the upgrade bearings turbo.
I am planning on looking in to using E-85. I am not sure if that will work. I don't know if the fuel volume can be changed to work or not. But it would be great if it could be worked out.
I do have a friend using it with an Older Camaro that has 14:1 compression and it works great as long as you get the summer blend. I know that is carburetor, and I am planning on converting my Chevelle to E-85 to because it is cheap, will work with the high compression (13:1) and cools too.
Scrming, I will let you know when I am going. I plan to go to Edmore, (Midmichigan motorplex) though. Its closer to me.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #434
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Its the base kit with the upgrade bearings turbo.
I am planning on looking in to using E-85. I am not sure if that will work. I don't know if the fuel volume can be changed to work or not. But it would be great if it could be worked out.
I do have a friend using it with an Older Camaro that has 14:1 compression and it works great as long as you get the summer blend. I know that is carburetor, and I am planning on converting my Chevelle to E-85 to because it is cheap, will work with the high compression (13:1) and cools too.
Scrming, I will let you know when I am going. I plan to go to Edmore, (Midmichigan motorplex) though. Its closer to me.
I forgot... you're on the other side of Hemlock! LOL! Definitely keep me posted!