Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Muffler Rattle

I know there is a TSB on under car rattle with rpms, but I recently voided my entire warranty with the mods in my sig. Since a replacement muffler under warranty is out of the question, is there any way to fix the baffle rattle in the stock cans? No $$ for new mufflers at the moment, was honestly gonna drill a small hole a put a screw into the baffle to try and stop the rattling Anyone think this might work? No flaming please....embarrassed enough to even post this suggestion......
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
nycoupe11

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs Summit White
What exactly is the rattle you feel? i get a grind when i let off the gas at 1-2k rpms..Is that what your experiencing? I was wondering if its my muffler rattling because i saw the TSB ..i thought it was AFM . And dont be embarassed haha..Hopefully i can build on my problem through yours haha
nycoupe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You say you have full 3" exhaust, but yet you still have the stock cans? If you have the stock mufflers still on the car then they should replace them under warranty. You can argue that it falls under bumper to bumper warranty (which you can't void by modding). That and their is a TSB about it.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
You say you have full 3" exhaust, but yet you still have the stock cans? If you have the stock mufflers still on the car then they should replace them under warranty. You can argue that it falls under bumper to bumper warranty (which you can't void by modding). That and their is a TSB about it.
I do have my 3" welded into the stock cans, and also had slp tips welded to them. One look at them and they will see what was done and spit the at me......
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Rage

Im really curious if anyone has isolated the part that rattles.....
Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
I know there is a TSB on under car rattle with rpms, but I recently voided my entire warranty with the mods in my sig. Since a replacement muffler under warranty is out of the question, is there any way to fix the baffle rattle in the stock cans? No $$ for new mufflers at the moment, was honestly gonna drill a small hole a put a screw into the baffle to try and stop the rattling Anyone think this might work? No flaming please....embarrassed enough to even post this suggestion......
Your mufflers are still covered. Nothing you did caused those mufflers to fail. Tell them to write a warranty claim,,keep the markup and labor,,,give you the cost off mufflers and get you some borla cat backs. The factory cans will buzz again,,trust me. This is a fair deal.
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I'll bet you can find a nearly new pair for next to nothing.
True, but another $100 to swap it out.... I also read that a few people have had this after their cam swap.... the original cans cant handle the excess airflow
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Make sure you don't have rocks stuck in the a frame channels. My car apparently picked some rocks up from the sticky tires and when they fell off they got into the metal channels and everytime I hit a bump in the road it rattled. It took the Dealer 2 days to find. When they took the rear wheels off they seen them, had 1 rock in each side.
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
Make sure you don't have rocks stuck in the a frame channels. My car apparently picked some rocks up from the sticky tires and when they fell off they got into the metal channels and everytime I hit a bump in the road it rattled. It took the Dealer 2 days to find. When they took the rear wheels off they seen them, had 1 rock in each side.
Crazy... rocks. No, I used a rubber mallet to confirm its a loose baffle. Well... I think i will try the screw approach, as ridiculous as it sounds....I'll get that rattle to stop ...or at least until my muffler looks like a pincushion
Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Kman 2011 ss

Drives: '04vette- '11-1SS '11-1LS(wifes)
Rage how far south are you?
I'm near Tampa & I have the complete SS exhaust from the cats back.
I have it on craigslist for $500, you can have it for $300.
Let me know if your interested...(pics below, only 500 miles on them)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I want more information on the bumper to bumper warranty that Stieger said can't be voided by modding. Is that right????
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Crazy... rocks. No, I used a rubber mallet to confirm its a loose baffle. Well... I think i will try the screw approach, as ridiculous as it sounds....I'll get that rattle to stop ...or at least until my muffler looks like a pincushion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman 2011 ss View Post
Rage how far south are you?
I'm near Tampa & I have the complete SS exhaust from the cats back.
I have it on craigslist for $500, you can have it for $300.
Let me know if your interested...(pics below, only 500 miles on them)

In the pic you can see where there welded so that has to be the baffle's.

My muffler does the same thing.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I want more information on the bumper to bumper warranty that Stieger said can't be voided by modding. Is that right????
Bumper to bumper covers everything that's not the powertrain or the engine. It basically covers all the little things that can go wrong. Their isn't a "exhaust warranty", its your bumper to bumper warranty. The only way to void" a bumper to bumper warranty is to replace the part with an aftermarket one. See what I mean? So the mufflers should be covered.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
rackmaster

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Summit White,
I had a rattle when my car was cold only, It turned out to be the pipes were rubbing against the small crossmember plate that goes under the pipes, its about even with the car doors. 4-bolts hold it on. you can either take it off or get a couple washers for spacers. I have LT headers with x-pipe with Borla S. it fixed mine. no rattle since.
rackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote