Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Question...Is a muffler delete legal?

That's my question...yep--I asked it! Look, I'm a total newb (noob?) when it comes to modding cars, so I'm very interested, but I want it totally legal. Not interested in doing something that isn't--even if it's undetectable.

So, if I decide to go do the muffler delete--is it legal to have the car with no mufflers at all? I imagine this might be different from state to state. I live in San Antonio, TX. Any knowledgeable folks out there? Please chime in.

Thanks!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
it is illegal. i went with loudmouth II cause its as loud as you can get with a muffler.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
you could have problems getting an inspection depending how hard core the place is you take it to, but i dont really see a officer stopping you and saying hmm you dont have mufflers
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
coolman

In pa it's not illegal because that's after all the emmission crap. I checked with the guy that inspecs my cars. That what I would do if I were you.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
The muffler delete is leagal, you still have 1 or 2 pending if its a 1s3/l99.
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
lee

i called a couple places here in austin tx and asked and they acted like i was crazy for even asking , they were like umm yes you have to have a muffler
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Muffler delete is legal but then again it's not legal.

Mufflers are not part of the emissions so it's legal to get rid of them, BUT it's illegal to get rid of them as without them the exhaust note won't stay within sound ordinances.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
As long as your check engine light doesn't come on and it won't when you remove your mufflers you should be fine. BUT, I would suggest to go with an exhaust like the SLP Loudmouth 2 because it is still almost just as loud and awesome sounding, but it comes with mufflers.
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
There's a bunch of mis-information in these responses, so I'll give you the law enforcement answer. The muffler delete is usually illegal (it does not matter for emissions purposes). I say usually as each state has slightly different laws, and most cities have their own noise ordinances. You're Texas, so here's the Texas statute (right now with the cold up here I miss living there):
§ 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise. (b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
This is similar to the MN statue (which is slightly more restrictive) & what it means in normal english is that it's illegal to remove the muffler (& no, the resonator is not a muffler) & it's illegal to modify the muffler to make it louder or have it rusted out so it's louder. You also can't replace it with one that is excessively loud or unusually noisy (sort of a catch all for any aftermarket mufflers). I think in 7 yrs I've tagged 1 person for it, he had a SLP LM with the no muffler option & worked hard to talk himself into a ticket. We just went to court on it & he lost (he tried to say the resonator was a muffler).
It's pretty rare you'd have to worry about this, but there are times. If you drive around late at night going to street races or bars, you're asking for problems. With Camaro's it's pretty obvious when the mufflers are gone & easy to hear. As a cop, you get used to what normal traffic sounds like, so when something is louder, you know.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
Thumbs down well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTony View Post
it is illegal. i went with loudmouth II cause its as loud as you can get with a muffler.

IT depends on which state you live in...

think before ya speak.

Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Muffler delete is legal but then again it's not legal.

Mufflers are not part of the emissions so it's legal to get rid of them, BUT it's illegal to get rid of them as without them the exhaust note won't stay within sound ordinances.

Ditto this answer.

Mav
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
... but i dont really see a officer stopping you and saying hmm you dont have mufflers
back in 05, i had an officer (county patrol outside McAlester, OK) do a U-turn on the highway (he passed me going the other direction) just to pull me over & tell me my truck was too loud.

here's the kicker... i was in my 91 explorer with a 4.0 V6, running a single chamber muffler dumped at the axle, and he said i was too loud (as a couple chevys running dualed-out 350s screamed past us)
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
lee

thats wild i had a cut out where the cats where supposed to be on a lt1 and never got pulled over, guess what you can get away with is different everywhere
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
IT depends on which state you live in...

think before ya speak.

not necessarily, could be the city or county also,, along with wherever you travel to.. just because you don't live there does not mean you are exempt from their local laws, such as noise or tint laws... If you are passing through you may just get a warning, but you still may get a ticket depending on your attitude...