Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Not necessarily true, sir. If the tune caused the malfunction that's one thing, but if the warranty work is on say the radiator or the radio or something, why not honor the warranty? And if it's on the drivetrain (for example, the water pump is now covered under the warranty) then GM carries the burden of proof that the tuner caused the malfunction. What if the tune had nothing to do with it, kwim?

NOT True ... If the car's ECM has been modified, the owner has broke the service contract with GM, and they no longer have to honor it. Sorry but that is the way it really is.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
You open the door for any dealer to deny warranty service by doing this.
Just that simple.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
You open the door for any dealer to deny warranty service by doing this.
Just that simple.
And therefore just that depressing. :(

Oh well, I'm sticking with my warranty, not risking it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Not necessarily true, sir. If the tune caused the malfunction that's one thing, but if the warranty work is on say the radiator or the radio or something, why not honor the warranty? And if it's on the drivetrain (for example, the water pump is now covered under the warranty) then GM carries the burden of proof that the tuner caused the malfunction. What if the tune had nothing to do with it, kwim?
I did say "drivetrain". So my point is, if the dealer is "reputable", he heeds the warranty boundaries as set my its employer (car manufacturer), right? A tune affects how the drivetrain parts have been designed to all work together and factory set parameters ensure that the customer will have a long lasting and well performing car. To your point, if the radio breaks, and no aftermarket product has been added to the system, it should be covered under warranty, an ECM tune has no bearing on why or how it failed. The water pump on the other hand, well, a fair dealer may just fix it under warranty without bothering with checking the ECM. Something more costly will invite closer scrutiny and approval from GM...and when that happens, its bye bye warranty.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Keep your warranty OP. Save for the day it expires and go nuts! This can be an expensive....... toy, so to speak
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
According to my delear when you mess with anything that changes the Displacememt or power output of the motor you void your warranty. GM makes exceptions for the minor things like a CAI and exhaust as long as you don't mess with the cats. This came from my delears service manager
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Quote:
GM carries the burden of proof that the tuner caused the malfunction. What if the tune had nothing to do with it, kwim?
Here is how your supposed burden of proof works outside of fantasy land....

They decide to void a part or all of your warranty. You feel like you were done wrong and that the field service engineer that voided you was wrong. Your correct that you may engage in battle over this, but this battle with GM will be in court with paid lawyers. You will need to hire your own lawyer to fight this, and you will likely not win. If you by chance win your warranty back.... And this is a miniscule chance... Your out the thousands you paid the lawyer and the time you spent fighting this.

There is no other truth but this. You can read internet lure all day long about burden of truth, but they have the contracts, the disclaimers, and the unending finances to fight your abuse our modification denial, and they will have tangible proof from your ECM or other. You will have your sad story and a dream of beating "the man".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote