Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
NC_SG_SS

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Can u use a v6 speedo tac cluster in a v8?

I have not found anything noteworthy on this. I like the font on the v6 then my V8 SS. The question is can they be swapped? There is only one plug, that supplies, power, and data from PCM/ECM. I am sure it would have to be re-caled at a dealership with my VIN to transfer the odometer. That I do know. The question is it is compatible? Are there warning lights on the v8 u lose with a v6 speedo cluster. I have an 11, does that make a diff?

I would happy to do screen print overlay, but, again, not seeing much on it. I was surprised no one has jumped on this. Any comments or links are welcome. I been doing a 69 retro look, and hate the analog speedo font on the SS. The v6 is much more to authentic. The v8 font is more like the Holden concept. So path of least resistance and price is welcome. This one may not be possible.
2011 2SS/RS SGM KAE, MN6, SLP ZL sways. TPC strut tower brace, GMPP Exhaust,roto-fab cai, pfadt lowering springs, Pedders subframe inserts, radius arm and steering rack inserts. 69 camaro fender and hood badges,heritage grill with orig SS badge, AAC green and white LEDs, RJM designs interior with green houndstooth seats inserts, suede headliner, Berger Chevrolet rear blackout big block tribute, 3stage white gold diamond pearl custom rally stripes by ayers custom paint concord, nc
NC_SG_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
I would like to say no. Most tachometers take a different pulse depending what model they were going to be put in. I know this specifically from my 3rd gen firebird. Had a v6. Didn't work with the v8.

now i'm assuming the tach output is from the computer on the car. But I would still judge that it is pulse based which would make me believe no.

I HAVE NO PROOF OF THIS - I'm just giving an answer upon previous knowledge.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Resurrection.... Any body have an answer?

I was gonna swap out my steering wheel for the zl1 wheel and was considering swapping gauges too. If the gauges work from the canII bus then it would makes sense that the gauges are interchangeable.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well another thing to look at now is the font on the 2012 models is changing, as I can only assume that GM nust of gotten a lot of feedback about this, the numbers are going to be thinner on the V8's, more like the current V6 models.