Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Question Black Paint

I am having a hard time deciding between black and silver. Black looks very nice, but I know that it is very hard to keep clean, and I have heard other things, but not sure what all is involved to keep up with black paint. How much extra work is it to keep black looking nice than other colors like silver?
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Well to be honest...keeping a black car clean and looking nice is not joke, hard as hell...I take very good care of my car and wash it every weekend with a wax and the beginning of every month...But hey, when black is clean, it looks SOOOOOOOO nice...im getting the black...My 4th gen is black and I love it....
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

I think black with white rally stripes would look amazing, I just don't know if I will have the time to keep it amazing looking.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
silver with white rallys would look good tooooooo
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
black with orange stripes i made a ps of it

oh yeah back on topic black looks MEAN!!! but i live in Illinois's so winters suck!

im getting
either cyber gray sig
inferno orange black stripes

seriously this is the hardest decision of my life
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
its not easy....an hour after you wash it its covered in dust again. Every little nick and scratch stands out like a sore thumb.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
its not easy....an hour after you wash it its covered in dust again. Every little nick and scratch stands out like a sore thumb.
That is what I figured and I think that is enough to sway me to the silver even though black looks amazing. I want the car to look amazing once I drive it off the lot.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
yob2kanobe

Drives: Corvette ragtop
I drive a black vette, I will NEVER own black again. I spend more time washing it than driving it...
yob2kanobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i detail alot of black cars and my hummer is actually black. i use a special wax when detailing it. the best thing is to make sure you use a soft sponge when washing and always have car soap when washing. make sure the sponge is clean so you dont get swirls in the paint and dont press too hard when washing. now waxing. most peope say not to use circular motion and they say to go back and forth when applying wax but as long as you dampen the wax pad with a little watter you should be fine. once again, dont press hard. it doesnt take alot of wax.
basically just watch what touches your paint.
im planning on getting black also. i love it. looks amazing at night but in direct sunlight is where it looks sketchy.but if you look closely even at a white car you can see swirls and scratches.
just be careful with it.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i detail alot of black cars and my hummer is actually black. i use a special wax when detailing it. the best thing is to make sure you use a soft sponge when washing and always have car soap when washing. make sure the sponge is clean so you dont get swirls in the paint and dont press too hard when washing. now waxing. most peope say not to use circular motion and they say to go back and forth when applying wax but as long as you dampen the wax pad with a little watter you should be fine. once again, dont press hard. it doesnt take alot of wax.
basically just watch what touches your paint.
im planning on getting black also. i love it. looks amazing at night but in direct sunlight is where it looks sketchy.but if you look closely even at a white car you can see swirls and scratches.
just be careful with it.
Thanks, I now know to get the silver (or I am also thinking about red with white stripes, agh!), black is too much work for the time I have.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
well anyone have a color close to cyber gray and how does a dark gray car stand up to dirt and anything that might get my future camaro dirty
Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Black for me.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
psmitty311

Drives: 1993 Honda Accord
I spent a lot of time with a buddy who owned a titanium grey Volvo S60R. It's pretty close to the cyber grey (as far as I can tell from the pictures). It definitely doesn't show as much dirt or damage as the black, but I think silver is the best color at hiding all that stuff. Here's his car while we met up at the Nurburgring (background). My dad's car is the silver V70R behind it. Silver doesn't look as nice, but it was easier to keep clean.

psmitty311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
I'm currently up to black vehicle number 5 out of all the vehicles I've owned(10). Over the years, I've learned (the hard way) how to take care of the paint on a black car. The key IMO is to use TONS of water when washing the vehicle and follow some of the other advice others have put out thus far. Use a wet sponge to apply wax and use light pressure. I also keep a detailing mist and a stack of microfiber towels in my cargo area in my TBSS. I'll wipe off the paint with a california car duster if it's just pollen or light dust but I follow with a quick mist and a wipe down. If it's bird crap or something else, I'm pretty quick to take care of it as soon as possible. In the winter, I'll hit up a car wash at least once a week (brushless) so that I get the undercarriage washed and rinse off the majority of the salt and road grime. Other than that, I just wash the car or truck about once a week. Start at the top of the car and work your way down to keep the amount of dirt off your wash cloth/mitt, etc. That's what I do and I haven't ever had a problem with swirl marks. I guess I've been lucky over all these years, but I've also put hard work into keeping my cars and trucks looking good.

I do love some black cars, and just my 2cents, but the Black with Orange Rally Stripes on the 5th gen is AMAAAAAZING
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote