Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
RPM Matching / Rev Limiting / Manual Camaro Question

So I've done a bit of "racing" in my time and one thing that is important to me is RPM matching. Basically for those that don't know what this is, basically when taking a corner you rev the engine to a higher RPM before down shifting, this way your wheels don't lock up or slow you down.

So my questions is this, for anyone who has driven a manual, how close are the brake and accelerator pedals??

To rev limit, you need to apply throttle while braking and while down shifting. The distance between the brake and accelerator is important when doing this.

Has anyone tried it yet and if so how was it?
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Also...related to this question.

How close to the drivers seat is the passenger seat? I've been researching this thing that the band Kings of Leon talks about in their song "Sex on fire" and need to make sure that the passenger can easily bend over the center island...
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSforme View Post

How close to the drivers seat is the passenger seat? I've been researching this thing that the band Kings of Leon talks about in their song "Sex on fire" and need to make sure that the passenger can easily bend over the center island...

Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Quote:

In fact, that was my next question.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Please keep things clean

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Also related to this question:

Okay I got a question

When downshifting to a lower gear, is double clutching the best method of preserving transmission life ?

Now double clutching is:

~For example you are in forth gear, you would push in the clutch, shift to neutral, rev the engine to a higher speed (RPM'S) and at the same time or right after you would put it in to third gear

That easy, Last time I checked, the T6060 is a POS and I would want to preserve trany life as much as possbile

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
So I've done a bit of "racing" in my time and one thing that is important to me is RPM matching. Basically for those that don't know what this is, basically when taking a corner you rev the engine to a higher RPM before down shifting, this way your wheels don't lock up or slow you down.

So my questions is this, for anyone who has driven a manual, how close are the brake and accelerator pedals??

To rev limit, you need to apply throttle while braking and while down shifting. The distance between the brake and accelerator is important when doing this.

Wow. That must take practice. Obviously it doesn't have to be a perfect rpm match but why not just learn the car and shift to a more appropriate gear? Reg vehicles have syncronizers I know but I drove tractor trailers for 9 years and the driver is the syncronizer. You're talking about some serious precision driving.

You're gonna drive the hell out of yours aren't you? lol
This is apparently the difference between a weaker manual and a high performance car. I've never driven a high powered manual. I never really thought about this.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
gto_in_nc

Drives: 1997 Jeep Wrangler -for now...
Double-clutching isn't neccessary on a synchromeshed transmission.
gto_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
gto_in_nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Also related to this question:

Okay I got a question

When downshifting to a lower gear, is double clutching the best method of preserving transmission life ?

Now double clutching is:

~For example you are in forth gear, you would push in the clutch, shift to neutral, rev the engine to a higher speed (RPM'S) and at the same time or right after you would put it in to third gear

That easy, Last time I checked, the T6060 is a POS and I would want to preserve trany life as much as possbile
^^^Ummm... Yeah. If you say so...
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

It's not bad. I made a point of checking that out when I drove the V6 stick last May. I could get used to the pedal placement.
Braking with the left side of your right foot while at the same time, rolling the right side of the same foot over to blip the throttle while keeping consistent pressure on the brake with the left side of the foot in order to match revs on a downshift is called "heel and toeing" (a total misnomer).
There were a couple of people who fabricated gas pedal extenders for the 4th Gen cars to make this a little easier to do by making the gas pedal a bit wider and therefore closer to the brake.
This issue of pedal placement was discussed with Al Oppenheiser at Indy.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some people fabricate a gas pedal extender for this car as well...

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_in_nc View Post
Double-clutching isn't neccessary on a synchromeshed transmission.
Not only is it unnecessary, but i've been told that it will actually kill the synchros if you do it a lot.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
The concept of double clutching makes no sense to me. I don't see the need or the benefit.

However, rev matching. Its not that difficult. You do just learn the car, and brake with the left side of the foot and roll the right side over to "blip". It is very un-necessary in daily driving, I still do it though because it is fun, and great when you get it perfect. I looked at it up in Chicago at the show (obviously not driving), it looked like there was very little reach and I think no need for a pedal extension. I have bigger feet though.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
gto_in_nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
The concept of double clutching makes no sense to me. I don't see the need or the benefit.

However, rev matching. Its not that difficult. You do just learn the car, and brake with the left side of the foot and roll the right side over to "blip". It is very un-necessary in daily driving, I still do it though because it is fun, and great when you get it perfect. I looked at it up in Chicago at the show (obviously not driving), it looked like there was very little reach and I think no need for a pedal extension. I have bigger feet though.
Double-clutching is a left-over from the days before the synchromech mechanism was developed/perfected and was especially important with heavy trucks. The idea is to match shaft speeds within the transmission during shifts. Upshifts were relatively straight-forward once the timing was worked out (shift too quickly and the flywheel is still spinning too fast, shift too slowly and the flywheel has lost too much speed -- either case makes shifting difficult and significantly increases transmission wear ("grind a pound for me?")) Downshifts, however, were a different problem.

The double-shift is clutch-down, shift to neutral, clutch-up, blip throttle, clutch-down, shift to lower gear. The blip with clutch engaged but transmission in neutral would speed up the input shaft on the transmission to allow its rotation to better match the speed of the gear you want to grab.

Make sense???
Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
heel and toe is the term Eli said and that's exactly what I was going to say. I have big feet so heel and toe'ing is a little more difficult for me as I can't turn my feet down by the pedals well without hitting th ewall fo the center console thing. Most peldals are close enough that you can leave your right foot vertical and use left and right sides of your foot easily.