Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
Sports Car????

I am new here and have not got to read a lot of the threads, but caught one last night from a member who was going to sell his Camaro because it was not the sports car he expected. It go t me to thinking howmany people think of it as a sports car? Have heard it called that, but never considered it to be. I always thought of it as a muscle car.
Eduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
i dont consider it a muscle car, mainly because it is new. to me muscle cars are low 80's and older, this is just my opinion. i do think its closer than the 4th gens to a muscle car, mainly because it has design cues from one of the best muscle cars.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
I also consider it a muscle car, or maybe in very specialized class called pony cars. Not a sports car in the purist sense.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Sport coupe, modern muscle maybe...but not a sports car to me. The Miata, Z4, even the Skye are more of sports cars than the Camaro. Then of course the Corvette, Ferrari and Lamorghini.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It could not be more of a sports car. It races, and it beats other sports cars. What else would you call it? Muscle cars and pony cars are both categories of competitive sports cars.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I just consider it a performance car. I guess you cant exactly say it's a true sports car (if you define one as a 2dr super small super light, high hp/lb, rear drive car) but it is a sporty car with the potential to do things true sports cars do. The main thing to do with all this hp is to perform. Whether it be on a dragstrip or a circuit track.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
i like to think of it as a ricer...jp id have to say sports car
bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
I consider the Camaro a muscle car not a so called sports car. A sports car would be like a Corvette or a Viper. Camaro's are a muscle car and they will always be called that ever since they came out in '67. You can call it a modern day muscle car like the Mustang and the Challenger I also consider them modern day muscle with better fuel economy.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
I've always heard it called a sports car, but then I looked up for myself the definition of a sports car, muscle car, and pony car. I consider it a muscle car and a pony car, but I think most of the world considers those terms to be a sub-genre of the phrase "sports car..."
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It could not be more of a sports car. It races, and it beats other sports cars. What else would you call it? Muscle cars and pony cars are both categories of competitive sports cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
I've always heard it called a sports car, but then I looked up for myself the definition of a sports car, muscle car, and pony car. I consider it a muscle car and a pony car, but I think most of the world considers those terms to be a sub-genre of the phrase "sports car..."

This is a sports car. Just like only a few others. Muscle is HP. That's WHY they were considered 'Muscle Cars' But like Blur said, it races and beats other sports cars.

It's a sports car. Personaly, I call it a muscle car to pay homage to the reason we have it.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I just consider it a performance car. I guess you cant exactly say it's a true sports car (if you define one as a 2dr super small super light, high hp/lb, rear drive car) but it is a sporty car with the potential to do things true sports cars do. The main thing to do with all this hp is to perform. Whether it be on a dragstrip or a circuit track.
You're putting too many definitions into what makes a sports car. For instance, you're saying that a sports car needs to be light. How do you define light? Is it less than 2000 lbs, because that measure is hard to match for most cars. Consider the 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago, a car that weighs 3,637 lbs. Not many people would argue that this car is an exotic sports car, but when you indicate that it has to be light, you're suggesting that it has to be lighter than the Camaro, which you don't call a sports car. That being said, the Mustang GT would fit into whatever weight category with the Murcielago, but the Camaro is a mere 200 lbs above that category. Despite this, the Camaro and Mustang are direct competitors, making them more likely foes that the Mustang and a Murcielago.

You also assume that a sports car has 2 doors, but the M5 is a recognized sports sedan, and you can't argue that the CTS-V is anything less than dominating in sports brackets with that LSA under the hood.

In summary, all that matters in a sports car is that sporty performance and appearance are important. There are different kinds of sports cars, but to deny a competitive car a place among sports cars would be nothing less than sacrilege to a great machine.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

This is a sports car. Just like only a few others. Muscle is HP. That's WHY they were considered 'Muscle Cars' But like Blur said, it races and beats other sports cars.

It's a sports car. Personaly, I call it a muscle car to pay homage to the reason we have it.
And if Randy is lucky his wife will not beat him anymore in his car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
it is NOT a sports car... it is a MUSCLE car... a sports car would be the corvette .... theres a difference
Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
I consider it a hybrid of both.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote