Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #113
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
No, they only monitor certain systems not driving patterns.

Beside there is nothing wrong with going 152 as long as its not on a public street.

Felix - Sent from my 2SS/RS

Onstar does monitor mph...the only time it would ever red flag it would be in the case of a crash/accident.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #114
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
here is a couple picks of my stock tires with 17k miles on them lol
yeah I baby the car
Attached Images

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #115
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
14 mpg at the moment. I'll try to beat that next week when its dryer.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #116
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
http://www.sportscardigest.com/fast-...rgency-system/

hennessey ctsv set off the onstar. thought it was pretty funny
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #117
chaoscamaro

Drives: 2011 camaro ss2 I.O. M6
I don't think it's about knowing how to control the car from slipping around, what's the point in the unnecessary danger in taking off those safe guards? To believe that you know how to drive better? All you have to do is obviously ease up on the gas a bit and have good grip on the wheel. If by any chance you slip on ice during a fast turn, trust me you are going to want the extra help, so you can worry about not hitting something. Saying that people leave it on because they have no skill is almost like saying, you got anti lock breaks? Why, don't know how to pump your breaks? same can be said about all safety features. I really don't notice a big difference with tc off during launching, unless you do want to wheel spin and make a smokey cloud of what use to be your tires.
chaoscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #118
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscamaro View Post
I don't think it's about knowing how to control the car from slipping around, what's the point in the unnecessary danger in taking off those safe guards? To believe that you know how to drive better? All you have to do is obviously ease up on the gas a bit and have good grip on the wheel. If by any chance you slip on ice during a fast turn, trust me you are going to want the extra help, so you can worry about not hitting something. Saying that people leave it on because they have no skill is almost like saying, you got anti lock breaks? Why, don't know how to pump your breaks? same can be said about all safety features. I really don't notice a big difference with tc off during launching, unless you do want to wheel spin and make a smokey cloud of what use to be your tires.
When autoxing a car with all the nannys(except abs) on it actually slows you down and is very frustrating to drive. Driving on the street I see no reason to turn them off.
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #119
chaoscamaro

Drives: 2011 camaro ss2 I.O. M6
Yea that's what I figured, never driven a track but I can see how it might be worst if not dangerous to keep them on while doing fast laps and cornering.
chaoscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #120
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscamaro View Post
I don't think it's about knowing how to control the car from slipping around,
It's exactly about that. Having the means to buy such a car does not demonstrate anything with respect to possessing the driving skill required to operate it. If you don't/can't/won't keep a car with significant performance potential under control, you have no business driving it.

Sneaking up on using all of the performance that you can extract without letting it get away from you is one thing, stomping on it just to see what'll happen without having any idea what will is foolish. Tire abuse like that is either driver error or showing off just to show off.

Quote:
what's the point in the unnecessary danger in taking off those safe guards? To believe that you know how to drive better? All you have to do is obviously ease up on the gas a bit and have good grip on the wheel. If by any chance you slip on ice during a fast turn, trust me you are going to want the extra help, so you can worry about not hitting something.
For people who really do know how to drive better and have better car control skills, these "safeguards" are rarely necessary. I'd rate myself as having decent skills, maybe a little better than average. But in nearly 50 years of enthusiastic driving, I can identify only two instances where a nanny has or would have been of any benefit whatsoever. I'll admit driver error being the root cause of one, with a very unusual autocross situation being the other.

For the record, driving better includes the wisdom to drive in accordance with conditions and look a little further down the road than just over the edge of your hood line. Those of us who started driving long before any of the nannies were made available in cars understand this (and a lot more).

Quote:
Saying that people leave it on because they have no skill is almost like saying, you got anti lock breaks? Why, don't know how to pump your breaks?
Actually, you can say that. ABS is not perfect either, and there are a few situations when it will actuate improperly. If you're skilled enough at threshhold braking, you can and will outbrake the ABS on dry pavement.

What's worse (but rarely recognized) is that the technique for getting the most out of ABS (stomp right down on that there pedal next to the gas) is exactly the wrong thing to be doing in the absence of ABS (or if the ABS youo do have goes inop, which does happen on occasion). An engineer who works at the OE level could not disagree with that statement (I specifically posted this as a question).

Quote:
same can be said about all safety features. I really don't notice a big difference with tc off during launching, unless you do want to wheel spin and make a smokey cloud of what use to be your tires.
Throttle modulation skill - the ability to make fine throttle adjustments - is a skill worth acquiring. It's essential if you ever want to get good at the competition or enthusiastic driving of your choice. You can't really learn it with TC left on, because the sensations are blunted and/or delayed.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #121
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 1LE SS View Post
When autoxing a car with all the nannys(except abs) on it actually slows you down and is very frustrating to drive. Driving on the street I see no reason to turn them off.
It may take some very unique sets of circumstances, but they can and sometimes do get in the way even there. Even ABS should not be blindly accepted as not having any downsides (see my above post).

If nothing else, by leaving the nannies on, you're giving up the opportunities to keep your skills "current" - feeling how much leading throttle you can employ on corner exit being just one. And there is some risk of learning things that would be exactly wrong at autocross or HPDE.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #122
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
i disable my ABS when i autox too
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #123
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It may take some very unique sets of circumstances, but they can and sometimes do get in the way even there. Even ABS should not be blindly accepted as not having any downsides (see my above post).

If nothing else, by leaving the nannies on, you're giving up the opportunities to keep your skills "current" - feeling how much leading throttle you can employ on corner exit being just one. And there is some risk of learning things that would be exactly wrong at autocross or HPDE.

Norm
verry true.
My tires are gone do to showing off. Drifting is not the fastest way to auto cross.... but for me its a ton of fun (police free FUN!)
I paid my money and just want to play with my car as Norm said hone some skills of lose driving.(proper consistent pedal pressure)
specific best time in my car on a AX track was no spin 72 sec, best spinning and plying was a 76 sec, but I had a blast and to me that's what counts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar November View Post
i disable my ABS when i autox too

How do you turn off ABS?

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #124
Darkstar November

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Line View Post
verry true.
My tires are gone do to showing off. Drifting is not the fastest way to auto cross.... but for me its a ton of fun (police free FUN!)
I paid my money and just want to play with my car as Norm said hone some skills of lose driving.(proper consistent pedal pressure)
specific best time in my car on a AX track was no spin 72 sec, best spinning and plying was a 76 sec, but I had a blast and to me that's what counts...

How do you turn off ABS?

usually just pull a wheel speed sensor when im going over the car before a trackday or autox event. it trips a fault in the system
Darkstar November is offline   Reply With Quote